TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: someone please help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 pm 

so here is the deal my swift pops out of fifth upon accelerating so I read ALOT and the springs in the top of the transmission are ok first and third one were the same length for experimentation took off the washer so screw would be in more just incase the spring was compressed no difference put the washer back on linkage seems fine all other gears shift pretty good. figure its got to be the syncro. for fifth my understanding is that it also helps keep trans in gear and if the notch edges are worn will slip out of gear. So hear is the dealeo im ready to take the black cover off its my understanding that you can service fifth from there without removing the tranny. Well thats all I can find I need help with that fifth gear service such as tools required and steps to take. local trans shops are giving me a bogus price everyone of them tell me 1100.00 to 1200.00 dollars for that I'm willing to tear into it myself and rebuild even though it would be my first rebuild. I have lots of mechanical experience just not with transmissions. The car is a North American Swift 2001 g13bb manual trans blue dented on most body panels needs tires and a wash but I love her please help me get her goin. I have so much planned for her. Thanks and In return for reply will be willing to share any of my extensive knowledge of golf cart repair and customizing and of ford rangers to anyone that needs

Post subject: Re: someone please help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 pm 

The issue is with the gear itself, not the synchro or detent spring. You can do the repair with the trans in the car but you will need a complete 5th gear to replace your current one. The issue is with the gear and slider, they have a tapered engaging sort of spline that is supposed to lock it into gear. When they get worn they no longer do the job right. Consider going to a self serve auto wrecker if you have one near and grabbing fifth gear from any swift/metro/sprint/firefly 89-01, they are all the same and will work. I may have one here, but have sold a bunch and might be out by now.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!