TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 pm 

Can't believe I couldn't find a similar topic in the short time I looked, so...
I'm driving a 92 geo metro 1.0 base model.
I installed a new clutch kit, as well as the lower end seals on the engine while I had it out. Put everything back together, and from the go it's hard shifting into gear and grinds much when putting in reverse. Obviously the clutch is still spinning with the clutch pedal down. I adjusted the cable well through the whole range from fully engaged at the bottom of the pedal (nearly no clutch disengagement at all) all the way to not quite engaged with my foot off the pedal. At the moment I left it to spec from the repair manual (about 3/8-1/2" pedal movement before resistance), and it fully engages the clutch right about where I had it with the old clutch. I replaced the pilot bearing with a seal/bearing driver and it sure looked straight.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 pm 

Disc in backwards?

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:18 am 

I did think about that, but I'm very sure I put the "Flywheel Side" on the flywheel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 pm 

was the kit a rebuild kit or new?
some times it happens that the kit is not new but rebuilt and to rebuild them is just a matter of machining the part where the disc makes contact with the clutch and then grind off the marks left off by the bearing that is how you rebuild the clutch but some times happens that is the system is machined too much of the piece that makes contact with the disc and later the clutch doesn't disengage properly.
if you had put it back wards i believe it would hit the flywheel and you would notice rite away.
try to move the piece where the cable goes on another position a couple teeth forward or backward and then try to adjust i had to do that a couple times when i had the high performance kit made

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:49 pm 

I'm pretty sure it was new. If machined, they sure did clean it up well.
And I did fully adjust the clutch both ways. The only thing I can think of is that I pulled the transmission onto the engine (carefully) by the bolts. So, there could be a cocked pilot bearing not letting go of the transmission shaft. Any ideas on how to test it without pulling the stupid thing apart again?