TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:44 am 

Like most of you I have gone through many gearboxes due to second gear issues. I purchased a "strengthened gearbox" from Suzuitech several years ago in an effort to rectify this. Turns out that box had second gear issues after 1 year of use. Just so you know the biggest benefit of a Suzuitech box is that they swap out the output shaft roller bearings for very high quality sealed bearings and they make the diff virtually bullet proof by installing a much larger planetary gear shaft leaving no slack for the planetary gears to move about under load and launch out of the casing...which is quite common.
So I had the parts installed and swapped the boxes. WOW!...what a difference! The car is new to me. As soon as I applied part throttle in first, I was bouncing off the rev limiter (set at 7100rpm). This occured at about 34mph...it got there so quick! Picked up second and the acceleration was not much slower...and so on. Each gear just pulls!! The best thing is for a NA car...I now have the driveability to leave the car in 5th at highway speeds and still be able to pass at a pretty decent rate of speed. If I downshift at highway speeds...well, its nuts! At 70mph the engine is turning a tad over 4Krpm. You should know that the alloy that the Suzukird gears are made of is different(harder) than OEM. The result is high pitch frequencies being generated when the OEM gears mesh with the Suzukird gears. The Suzukird gears I purhcased are helical by the way. If you're hard core like me you won't mind but if your car is used to transport family and such...I couldn't imagine a wife or child tolerating the sounds. The whine mainly occurs when under load. So say at 50 mph if you back off a tad it will quiet down but as soon as you accelerate the sound increases. The sound generated with just a helical cut ring gear definitely lets me know that I could not tolerate driving around with a full straight cut gear set up.
This mod is by far the most effective you can do to improve the performance of our cars...followed closely by swapping in the cultus intake/exhaust manifold. I should have done this before even putting a K&N filter on!
Big thanks to phil&ed for recommneding AA Gears and Shafts in L.A (they did an awesome job!).
Huge thanks to Andy @ Suzukird for the friendly and fast service.

Oh by the way...the second gear issue is not rectified by lowering the final drive. If I shift too quickly from 1st to 2nd there is some interference. I'll just have to deal with that...for now. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

And people ask why I recommend the 4.39 in a GT. 4.57 would be better and 4.88 would probably be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:09 am 
Teamswift Racer

Tsusuki wrote:
I purchased a "strengthened gearbox" from Suzuitech several years ago in an effort to rectify this. Turns out that box had second gear issues after 1 year of use. Just so you know the biggest benefit of a Suzuitech box is that they swap out the output shaft roller bearings for very high quality sealed bearings and they make the diff virtually bullet proof by installing a much larger planetary gear shaft leaving no slack for the planetary gears to move about under load and launch out of the casing...which is quite common.

The Suzuitech 'strengthened' gearbox has proven not to be any better than any other properly assembled reconditioned box, the diff pin is something that should be looked at anyway, it's the amount of wear and corresponding free play that is the issue not the actual strength of the pin, too much free play and the spider gears will ride over each other breaking the pin and exploding bits of diff out of the gearbox.

As for the output shaft bearings, again they need to be shimmed up correctly, they are taper roller bearings to cope with the large thrust loads generated by the crownwheel and pinion, changing to roller bearings might be slightly stronger but they will wear much faster, I have seen a few cases that have cracked around the counter shaft bearing as they had to machine out the case slightly to fit the larger bearing, not much meat there to begin with...

Tsusuki wrote:

So I had the parts installed and swapped the boxes. WOW!...what a difference! The car is new to me. As soon as I applied part throttle in first, I was bouncing off the rev limiter (set at 7100rpm). This occured at about 34mph...it got there so quick! Picked up second and the acceleration was not much slower...and so on. Each gear just pulls!!

Well yes it does greatly improve acceleration IN each gear, thats the mechanical advantage of having a lower ratio CWP, but the problem is it does not improve acceleration BETWEEN gears, this is the crux of the 2nd gear issue, the gap in ratio's between 1st and 2nd and 3rd is huge, thats why the synchro's have such a hard time trying to synchronise vastly different shaft and gear speeds hence leading to premature wear.

For North American Gt's that never got the proper gti box with lower ratio 3rd, 4th and 5th gears then yes I would definitely recommend a 4.389 but thats mostly to put 4th and 5th back to should be, 4.57 is probably about the lowest ratio you would want to go especially if you run big wheels, Pictureshowman on redlinegti is selling one quite cheap atm.

I suspect the gears are a shallower pitch than the suzuki oem ones so it will be noisier but it should not be that bad, could be a design fault or manufacturing tollerance issue, in either case it should wear in and get quieter, don't forget to change out the oil after a few hundred miles once the CWP has bedded in.

Tsusuki thanks for your review, not trying to shoot you down, just a balancing view on what is one of the weakest points on our cars.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:48 am 

If only a final drive swap was such an improvement, understand a close ratio gearkit :D
http://www.bacciromano.com/index.php?p= ... =70&mar=13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 pm 

Sorry if this sounds stupid, as I'm only now starting to understand the mechanics of gearing, but wouldn't installing new synchros (dunno who makes them) resolve the issue, at least for a good few thousand miles?

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 am 

Do you have its instruction book for fix it?