TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:47 pm 

I have a '94 Geo Metro with automatic transmission and have been having problems with it that have taken a lot of time to fix. First off, we had almost no compression in the #3 cylinder, and half-power in the #2. We've put on a new head and now power doesn't seem to be an issue, but there's another problem now. The transmission shifts up to third fine once it starts, but doesn't want to come back down. When I'm going up any kind of hills, I rapidly lose speed unless I manually shift down to 2 and 1 and then back up. The weird thing is that this problem doesn't happen when it's hot outside. I suspect because of that that there's something electronically wrong with it, but I'm not sure what or where to check. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? I'd be greatly appreciative of any help, as the Geo is our only vehicle and I'm sick of borrowing my dad's truck. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 am 

Do a search using keyword shift solenoid or something like that. They are common and quite serviceable and give symptoms like that. Basically when they mess up you lose automatic function in the trans. If all gears are fine when you manually shift to first and second its most likely electrical, and solenoids are often to blame.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!