TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 5 speed builds
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
I would recommend people just use whatever the factory recommends.
The problem with this approach is which 'factory' do you trust. GM? Suzuki? Each spec a different fluid, and neither of these address the critical brass/steel friction requirements.

The transaxle bearings, gears, shafts and forks all have lubrication requirements that are easy to address. The synchro is the only part that has a unique friction requirement. The long life and optimum performance of the synchro cannot be attained by a GL-5 fluid spec. Read and understand the two links I've posted above and this will become apparent.

As to synthetic fluids, there's only one reason not to use them and that's to save a few dollars. The proper synthetic fluid will out perform a non-synth every time.

Last edited by martinq on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the mobil1 synthetic 75/90 hasn't been an issue and while driving for effect, i'm still getting 34 mpg.

The Mobil1 fluid is excellent at addressing the needs of the transmission but not the synchro. For maximum life and performance the transmission requires the proper fluid. A GL-5 75w90 isn't the best choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:16 pm 
Make love, not moderators

martinq wrote:
The problem with this approach is which 'factory' do you trust. GM? Suzuki? Each spec a different fluid, and neither of these address the critical brass/steel friction requirements.

I drive a Suzuki so I use exactly what the FSM to use. I cannot comment on what GM says, if someone has a GM FSM then please check it and let us know. I have nearly 200k on mine and it shifts beautifully.

martinq wrote:
Read and understand the two links I've posted above and this will become apparent.

As to synthetic fluids, there's only one reason not to use them and that's to save a few dollars. The proper synthetic fluid will out perform a non-synth every time.

Oh I did read both of them before I made my original comment and I understand exactly what the author is trying to say in both of them. All I was mentioning was based on my own experience and those of people close to me, messing with the trans and putting in anything other then what the factory asks for is just asking for trouble.

People do what you like, it's your transmission, and it will be your wallet that covers any damage as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:32 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
All I was mentioning was based on my own experience and those of people close to me, messing with the trans and putting in anything other then what the factory asks for is just asking for trouble.

People do what you like, it's your transmission, and it will be your wallet that covers any damage as a result.

This is why it's critical to use the correct fluid and to keep it in good condition. More performance, longer life, less cost.

Here's what Mobil has to say:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... r_Oil.aspx
"There are transmission applications that recommend API GL-4 type products where we would not recommend using an API GL-5 fluid because transmissions typically have components made from “yellow” metals. However real axles where GL-4 fluids are recommended do not have “yellow” metal components. As a result, the application of an API GL-5 fluid is acceptable."

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/ ... 5W-90.aspx
"
- Mobil 1 Synthetic gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended
- Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended
"

Just because you can use a fluid and the transmission doesn't suddenly explode, does not mean it's the best, or correct, fluid for the application. Engine oil would probably be a preferred option over a GL-5 hypoid-gear fluid (better synchro performance, less synchro damage), but I wouldn't recommend it over the correct fluid.