TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:22 pm 

I've been thinking of shoehorning a 1.3L dohc into my 87 sprint. Found one at a good price (long block) I know from what I've read that the 1.3L dohc should fit without issue. Now the issue of the transmission. It doesn't have a matching transmission. So the question is will a sohc transmission mount up to the dohc motor? I can find the sohc tranny just about anywhere.

I think I saw a picture somewhere with a 1.0L transmission mounted to a dohc. Which is nutts. But I'd like some gearing. And have read that the 1.0's dont like over 100hp.

My little sprint is going to soon be my tuner/rally car. And fitting it with the gti type motor would be nice. My 3 banger will be taken out and rebuilt and saved for basic road driving after I'm done raceing it.

Anybody done this? I searched the forum but havent gotten a straight answer.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm 

the mk1s did come in a gti model with the g13b

you may be able to source something from europe or australian/nz

iirc the timing gears are thinner but regular ones will work, intake is reversed and it uses mk1 4cyl mounts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 am 

bigbadmonster wrote:
Anybody done this? I searched the forum but havent gotten a straight answer.

I have . viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 am 
Teamswift Racer

Mk1 gti's, sold every where except North America :lol: transmissions are basically the same as the 3cyl sohc ones except for a few things, the diff
is a 4 spider one, same as turbo sprint diff but unlike all North American models the mk1 has a closer 3rd,4th and 5th gear, same ratio's as the
mk2/3 gti sold everywhere except North America however there are no interchangeable parts between mk1 and mk2/3 transmissions.

The big difference between a 3 cly mk1 and 4cyl mk1 is the crossmember and the fact that the 4 cyl runs a small intermediate shaft with a
universal on one end, the engine is moved over quite a bit compared to the 3 cyl.

Here's a photo of some 4cyl sohc driveshafts I sent to a teamswifter a while back, proper gti ones look the same but have 1mm thicker shafts and
bigger cvs, same size cvs as mk2 sohc.
Attachment:
Mk1-4cyl-DS.jpg
Mk1-4cyl-DS.jpg [ 32.79 KIB | Viewed 995 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 am 

Quote:
Mk1 gti's, sold every where except North America transmissions are basically the same as the 3cyl sohc ones except for a few things, the diff
is a 4 spider one, same as turbo sprint diff but unlike all North American models the mk1 has a closer 3rd,4th and 5th gear, same ratio's as the
mk2/3 gti sold everywhere except North America however there are no interchangeable parts between mk1 and mk2/3 transmissions.

The big difference between a 3 cly mk1 and 4cyl mk1 is the crossmember and the fact that the 4 cyl runs a small intermediate shaft with a
universal on one end, the engine is moved over quite a bit compared to the 3 cyl.

Here's a photo of some 4cyl sohc driveshafts I sent to a teamswifter a while back, proper gti ones look the same but have 1mm thicker shafts and
bigger cvs, same size cvs as mk2 sohc.

So, let me get this right.
The 3cly transmission will mount to the DOHC 1.3L without issue? So try'n to get the 1.3L m2/3 transmission is pointless if I already have a 1.0L transmission on hand. As the MK2/3 will not mount.
Also would need to get new driveshaft and axels?

Would the 1.0L axels amd drive shaft work or is it that they are too thin? And would break due to the higher outpout of engine?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you need to re-read dattman's post again. the g10 axles are too long. the additional cylinder on the g13 requires the shorter axles (which aren't available in north america.)

you also need the proper cross member for the g13 (again, unobtainium in north america) along with motor mounts.

the 4 cylinder engine is positioned in the engine bay so that it locates the differential at a different spot. the left side axle is shorter and the right side axle uses a half shaft connected to the rear of the engine block with another, shorter axle between the half shaft and the wheel hub.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm 

Ok, so.

I guess I'll be ordering these parts from the AU. As this seems to be the only place to get them.
I wonder what shipping is going to cost :?

I guess if thats the only place to get them.

Also would the axle/cv driveshaft be universal? I.E. can I use them with my LHD or is it a RHD thing only?

Crossmember may be a hard one to find tho. Motormounts are also a AU order I guess.

Looks like I'll be sending some money to the Aussies. Mostly in shipping cost :lol:

It sucks that the conversion is so hard to find parts for. Would be nice if us Americans could have gotten the MK1's the euros did.