TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 am 

So I was working on the GT yesterday and noticed some play at the intermediate shaft bearing. According to another thread, that bearing is Suzuki-specific, so I would like to start looking for the part already, before it fails (won't take long with my driving :P ).
Anyway I've read t3ragtop's posts about the 95+ sedans having the same drive-shafts as the GTi, but what I need is the intermediate shaft only. Sedans are also not very common here, but what about the regular 89-94 swifts wit the G13BA motor? There'are plenty of those around still.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:09 am 

According to a post at Redline the intermediate shafts are the same, it might be a good idea to just get a new bearing though. Apparently it's part No. 83A831SC5, measurements are 67 O.D x 36.2 I.D x 18.4 Width. Suzuki part No. 27831-63B00
However there's a lot of confusing about the part- numbers, specially with bearing No. 83A831GC5. I'll measure my bearing to at least verify the dimensions and go from there.

According from another thread here, the seals part No. are:
OEM
small: 27841-63b00
large: 27842-63b00

KOYO
42 67 10
40 54 10

The later needs to be confirmed as well. After measuring the shafts I'll know the seal-sizes.

I know I can't get those seals locally, so if you guys have a link, you are welcome to leave a reply :) .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
Suzuki Elder

we did a bunch of twincam swaps about 5 years ago and used the intermediate shafts from and g13 we could find. having since looked at the suzuki swift parts book i know that there were only 2 listed. one was for the manual 5 speed transmission and the other was for the automatic.

the axles on the gt cars are specific to the model. i was able to complete a couple of swaps using the non-gt axles as long as i didn't use the gt knuckles and hubs. the gt axles have shorter splines on the outer ends that fit the gt hubs. with the standard swift knuckles and hubs and the ventilated rotors used on their brakes, the axles that fit have longer noses and splines.

an old, old teamswift member, mojojojojoey, tried to replace the bearings in his intermediate shaft and ran into a bunch of problems sourcing the bearing. as he explained it to me, suzuki commissioned koyo to produce a special "manufacturer only" bearing for that shaft. he tried to machine the housing to accept a standard and available bearing from his local distributor and that made the housing too thin.

the last time i checked, a new intermediate shaft from suzuki was over $400us so i started looking for alternative sources. wrecking yards were the most convenient source of those and i'd find the newest g13 cars i could find to harvest them. the intermediate shaft was one of the few parts from a 98 -01 metro that would fit the twincam. i could also use the engine mounts and brackets from those on a mk2/3 twincam conversion.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 am 

Thanks for the info Richard :). Good to know all intermediate shafts are the same. I'll still try to get the bearing first, as I already have the bearing out of the spare bearing carrier I had in the garage. So I can confirm the following:
The bearing is a KOYO 83A831GC5

The seals are KOYO 42 67 10 and 40 54 10. However Rockauto has SKF seals with the oem part-numbers, so that's another option.

This is where the confusion starts, as it seems that bearings with the same part-number, but from different suppliers, have different dimensions. So according to this site: http://www.noc.ua/en/online-catalog-bea ... C5&key=531 83A831SC5 is the correct bearing to get, which was mentioned in several threads from the different suzuki-forums. Than this site: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=83A831SC5 has the KOYO bearings for a good price, but they don't show the dimensions. When I contacted them, they told me the 83A831SC5 measures 36x67x23... :huh: I'm still waiting for the details about the 83A831GC5 one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

yeah. the suzuki parts manual shows a part number for the automatic and a part number for the 5 speed. they are different lengths due to the varying locations of the differentials between the 2 transmissions.

the difference in length is apparent and if you hold them both you can plainly see what's up.

phil n ed has pics somwhere around here that show them both side by side.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:36 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
yeah. the suzuki parts manual shows a part number for the automatic and a part number for the 5 speed. they are different lengths due to the varying locations of the differentials between the 2 transmissions.

the difference in length is apparent and if you hold them both you can plainly see what's up.

phil n ed has pics somwhere around here that show them both side by side.

That's probably why one bearing is taller than the other, however the problem I'm having is about several sites showing different dimensions for the same bearing part number. I'm still waiting for a decent reply from Partsouq... they are being difficult about taking measurements of the bearing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 am 

Ordered part No. 83A831SC5, fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 pm 

For the ones following this, it was the right bearing! Just to double check, it's part no. 83A831SC5 and can be bought here: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=83A831SC5.
These bearings have a lot of play even new, so I actually didn't even need a new one; as my spare was apparently still good. But yeah, comparing it to a new one was the only way to know for sure.

All I can say is that shifting gears goes a lot smoother now and almost all vibrations at the steering wheel are now gone.