TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:27 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
i was cleaning in the bat cave, really! i was throwing stuff away and when i moved a pile of old magazines, papers, receipts, etc. i found something i have been looking for about 6 years.

before adam shut down occ racing (or more precisely, disappeared without a word :lol: ) he sent me a prototype transmission part for testing. this is a titanium alloy plate that holds the shaft bearings together at the outer ends, i believe for 5th gear. i think that adam told me that it was supposed to keep the shaft ends from spreading under the increased torque that a turbo applied to the gear box.
Image

the conversation took place so many years ago that i can't remember the particulars but i recall him saying that the oem plate would deform under extreme conditions, actually stretching the steel plate. this alloy was supposed to maintain it's integrity. i think it fits under the stamped steel cover on the outer end of the transmission.

anyone recognize this?
Image

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm 
Offline
Make love, not moderators
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:26 pm
Posts: 1930
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
You are correct. It sits behind 5th gear and also holds the shim in place for the countershaft bearing.

_________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 1047
Location: Canby, OR
I think I see rust in the second pic in the ID of the large holes..... meaning it's not titanium. Might be A572 or A514 if it was made from a stronger material......

_________________
Anyone who's been around children will tell you that they are in fact quite stupid. Many of them cannot even read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 pm
Posts: 4998
Location: Palm Springs: Too hot from June to Oct.!
t3 ragtop wrote:
anyone recognize this?
Image

If I stand upside down, it seems vaguely familiar :lol: :lol: :lol: :

Image

The long ear fits into a slot on the shift shaft.

A blast from the past:

viewtopic.php?p=321659#p321659

Those 6 Phillips heads are rounded off, probably from being tightened after they became loose.
When you do a transmission, you should clean up those heads and use locktite.
If the phillips heads have oil in them, you might round them off when you tighten them.
When taking them off, make sure you spend the money on a good impact driver set.
Again, if the heads are clean, you probably won't round them off.

Once that plate comes loose, the two shafts may have some end play.
End play is worst at the end of the shaft and 5th gear is the first to go:
Image
Nasty.

Next, the chips circulate through the gearbox and eventually tear everything else to heck and back.

_________________
DIY Broken Bolt Removal: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41042
DIY Clutch Adjustment: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48281
DIY Wheel Bearings: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29003
DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
airwerks wrote:
I think I see rust in the second pic in the ID of the large holes..... meaning it's not titanium. Might be A572 or A514 if it was made from a stronger material......


i've used quite a number of titanium bolts in my last few engines, 2 turbo3 tricks and the red vert's twincam. i'm especially fond of using titanium bolts to mount aluminum under drive pulleys with the thought being that every little bit of rotating mass i reasonably shave off the crank assembly is a good thing. i'm pretty sure that this is done from a piece of aerospace billet alloy.

what you are seeing in the pic is the red light from my digital camera as it does it's auto focus and flash adjustment thing.

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 416
Location: Spruce Grove Alberta
[quote="t3 ragtop"]i was cleaning in the bat cave, really! i was throwing stuff away and when i moved a pile of old magazines, papers, receipts, etc. i found something i have been looking for about 6 years.

before adam shut down occ racing (or more precisely, disappeared without a word :lol: ) he sent me a prototype transmission part for testing. this is a titanium alloy plate that holds the shaft bearings together at the outer ends, i believe for 5th gear. i think that adam told me that it was supposed to keep the shaft ends from spreading under the increased torque that a turbo applied to the gear box.
Image

the conversation took place so many years ago that i can't remember the particulars but i recall him saying that the oem plate would deform under extreme conditions, actually stretching the steel plate. this alloy was supposed to maintain it's integrity. i think it fits under the stamped steel cover on the outer end of the transmission.

anyone recognize this?

Yes I do! I have one installed in my transmission. It is a hardned steel ? Adam told me the reason to use it. and I saw picture of the problem, that it held the shafts in place so that the force of the helical gear is held in place.

I believe it is true as I have not had an issue since, but I am a little shy on pounding the transmission.

I remember Adam saying someone ran up to 270 HP through a GT transmission.

Anyway, the idea is not new as I saw Honda's do the same thing. "Transmission support" they would remove fifth gears as a sacrifice. Because theirs was much more rugged.

_________________
90 Swift GT - GT-BBT25 turbo Red - For Sale
99 MX-5 10th AE Saphire Blue
2011 Infiniti G37x
2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 am 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
wgotzman wrote:
Yes I do! I have one installed in my transmission.


bingo! there's more than one out there. :wink:

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 416
Location: Spruce Grove Alberta
wgotzman wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:
i was cleaning in the bat cave, really! i was throwing stuff away and when i moved a pile of old magazines, papers, receipts, etc. i found something i have been looking for about 6 years.

before adam shut down occ racing (or more precisely, disappeared without a word :lol: ) he sent me a prototype transmission part for testing. this is a titanium alloy plate that holds the shaft bearings together at the outer ends, i believe for 5th gear. i think that adam told me that it was supposed to keep the shaft ends from spreading under the increased torque that a turbo applied to the gear box.
Image

the conversation took place so many years ago that i can't remember the particulars but i recall him saying that the oem plate would deform under extreme conditions, actually stretching the steel plate. this alloy was supposed to maintain it's integrity. i think it fits under the stamped steel cover on the outer end of the transmission.

anyone recognize this?

Yes I do! I have one installed in my transmission. It is a hardned steel ? Adam told me the reason to use it. and I saw picture of the problem, that it held the shafts in place so that the force of the helical gear is held in place.

I believe it is true as I have not had an issue since, but I am a little shy on pounding the transmission.

I remember Adam saying someone ran up to 270 HP through a GT transmission.

Anyway, the idea is not new as I saw Honda's do the same thing. "Transmission support" they would remove fifth gears as a sacrifice. Because theirs was much more rugged.


This is what I saw for comparison- maybe remove fifth gear all together?

Phantom Grip Transmission Cradle
Save time and money with the Phantom Grip Transmission Cradle. Improve your transmission's reliability with this proven product that has been developed and tested in the highest horsepower Honda applications since 2003. Guaranteed to increase transmission life by more than 100% and proven to handle up to 950hp. The transmission cradle replaces the fifth gear in your Honda B-Series transmission by cradling both main shafts together. This helps keep the gears from walking away from each other, reducing potential failure. BUY YOURS TODAY!


Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 15.57 KIB | Viewed 1758 times ]
File comment: Cradle
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 20.77 KIB | Viewed 1758 times ]

_________________
90 Swift GT - GT-BBT25 turbo Red - For Sale
99 MX-5 10th AE Saphire Blue
2011 Infiniti G37x
2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
i don't plan on trying to deal with 940 hp or any of that - i'm just trying to make sure that my machine will hang together up to a couple hundred hp just in case i feel froggy one day. =)

i've had this part lost in my basement for something on the order of 7 or 8 years. i feel the need to use it on one of my cars. :wink:

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline
Make love, not moderators
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:26 pm
Posts: 1930
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Well the good news then is that you don't need to completely disassemble the trans to install it.. Just remove the black cover and remove fifth gear to gain access to it.

_________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group