TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 am 

Hey guys, hoping someone can shed some light on this for me; I'm hoping that replacing the cable will solve my issue, but I'm dubious.

after a life time of hydraulic clutch setups, I am for the first time tackling a cable driven clutch setup...

a few months back i replaced my clutch with a heavy duty item made by a local aussie manufacturer 'Xtreme' part number: KSZ19003-1A

at the time the pedal felt ridiculously tight, and had a bit of a grinding noise/sensation to it, after a week or so i reset the cable, i recall as i loosened the tension off it made a bit of a twang noise and it was suddenly very obvious it had been bound up or not right.

from there, it was all good, however within a month i found myself having to force it into gear and really reach hard on the pedal, so i adjusted it and decided that the nut had been loosening itself.

I then had it off the road and apart again, i took the motor and box out whole to change the timing belt and water pump, put it back and the cable was ridiculously tight again. reset it again, all good.

then the fun bit started.... :roll:

i noticed that the pedal wasn't sitting right, it was bent on an angle and sitting lower than it should be. So I bent it back into place, and sure enough, it very quickly moved back.

got to a point where every second gear change i would have to bend the pedal back into place with my foot only to have it buried in the carpet almost straight away.

Sunday just gone, i replaced the pedal, the pedal only..

now the car will not go into gear, and if i start it in gear with my foot on the clutch it wants to drive off.

I have adjusted the lever on the box in various different positions, the ditto to the adjusting nut on that lever. i cannot get this thing to agree with me.

So now i am at a loss. I have a spare cable, I have about 4 days to solve it and have it motoring before it becomes a problem.

guys, please help me! what can i do to get this sodding thing to agree with me? (aside putting the bent pedal back in, cause i may have thrown it as far away from me as possible when i chucked a tantrum at the car in frustration over this...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 am 
Make love, not moderators

Well if I were you I would yank the trans and install a normal clutch instead of an aftermarket one, since that is where it seems your problems began.

Afterwards I would replace the clutch pedal assembly, it is obviously bent and distorted by having to force the pedal to the floor. While you have the trans out also check the clutch release bearing fork and make sure that it isn't bent from all the force required to disengage the clutch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am 

i swapped the cable over at the advise of a couple of mates, in doing so i discovered that because the pedal was knackered before, the old adjustment point was not going to work now.

the one bit of info i did not know up until now, as i have spent my life with RWD cars with Hydraulic clutch setups, is that you can over adjust these things to the point that they do not work.

i could have used the original cable, had i backed the nut off about 6-10 threads and it would have worked...

but this new cable is soooo much smoother, so overall i'm happy, aside letting a inanimate object irritate me for about a day.