TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

The transmission seems to be going bad in my sprint. It doesn't ever want to go into first gear and always kicks me out of first gear. The only way it stays in first gear is if I can get it to engage before i stop. I was going to start searching for a used transmission and from what I've heard metros and swifts are suppose to have the same engines. Do they have the same transmissions? I cant figure out what kind of transmission I need to look for and if somebody else could give me the name or number of the transmission I'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 pm 

i would like to have the one you are going to take out

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 am 

We were considering trying to rebuild it. When we bought the car it came with a spare engine so it'd be nice to have a spare tranny too. But if we don't your first in line :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 am 

cool keep me posted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 am 

Xaraskid wrote:
We were considering trying to rebuild it. When we bought the car it came with a spare engine so it'd be nice to have a spare tranny too. But if we don't your first in line :)

You may just have to do that because Sprint (Mk1 Swift) transmission is the only one you can use in that car. Swift and Metro transmission will bolt up and work with our engines but not with rest of the car. Transmission mounts for newer Swifts (Mk2 and newer) are totally different.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm 

DTM GTi wrote:
Xaraskid wrote:

You may just have to do that because Sprint (Mk1 Swift) transmission is the only one you can use in that car. Swift and Metro transmission will bolt up and work with our engines but not with rest of the car. Transmission mounts for newer Swifts (Mk2 and newer) are totally different.

Hm. I'd heard that swifts and sprints were the same engine and tranny. So that isnt true?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 pm 

feeling pretty excited right now, I've been calling around at junkyards and I found one where they'd scrapped out a sprint and he's going to call me back he thinks he still has the transmission lying around somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm 

Xaraskid wrote:
Hm. I'd heard that swifts and sprints were the same engine and tranny. So that isnt true?

Transmissions have no common parts. Its not true, unfortunately :(

Good luck on your hunt.