TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 am 

Hello.

I just finished an Auto to Manual conversion on my '87 Suzuki Forsa. Testing is now in process and I have some issues.

Shifting it into REVERSE (R) is sometimes difficult, it does not get into R easy... but some times it does CLICK into R with no effort made.

Got it in REVERSE and I start to release the clutch pedal and it moves back, but the whole car shakes hard. Then I notice some burnt clucth smell.

I have been told to do a clucth adjustment or that I might have a flexed flywheel.

I lift the car on the air, put it in R and pop the clucth and there is no hard shaking of the drivetrain and engine.

Any ideas on what I got to do?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

yes, it sounds very much like your clutch is out of adjustment.

the old school name for the shaking you describe is "judder." that can be caused by a flywheel friction surface that has high spots caused by heat or a surface which hasn't been ground properly.

you can also get problems like that from a bad pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel, a bad throw out bearing, or a lack of lubrication on the input shaft splines.

try adjusting the clutch first. when it is properly adjusted you will not have any raking of reverse gear when you shift into reverse. the adjustment will leave a small space, gap at the end of the cable by the lever. that is called free play. the free play is specified in the factory service manual.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II