TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:30 pm 

Which one should I put in my car?

On the left is the oem Exedy clutch with almost no wear on the friction disc, though the springs rattle a bit, if that means anything. There's some minimal wear on the pressure plate leaf springs, but I think it's still serviceable. I don't know if it's original, but if so, it's lasted an incredibly long time, and I was happy with the way it was working.

On the right is an "F1 Stage 1 Clutch Kit" from Gripforce Clutches on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151055120367?item=151055120367&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I installed an LSD and, given the trans would be off, I bought a clutch kit, just in case. I do autocross my car and tow a trailer, so a mild increase in clamping pressure seemed like a reasonable thing to do. It also looked like, whether or not the claim of increased pressure was really true, the stuff I would get would likely be Exedy anyway.

Well, it isn't, and it isn't as pictured on eBay either. It does, however, seem like good quality stuff and maybe the claims of increased clamping pressure are legit, considering the design.

What do you guys think? I can put either kit on the shelf for when I've really worn out a clutch, mix and match discs and pressure plates, or just throw the stocker back on and ship the whole kit back to the vendor...

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm 

try it out, if you dont like it swap it. i bought a clutch from gripforce a while back for one of my other cars and i had no issues with it ( it was some noname mix match clutch)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 am 

:lol:

I guess I'll do that. I was kind of hoping Richard would chime in and let me know if the pressure plate looks the same as the one he's using with the 4-puck arrangement that he got from the same vendor, and some more about whether he still likes that one.

But I suppose I could always send him a PM :roll:

Anybody else have one of these?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm 

Just to follow up.

I am keeping the new clutch kit, but I didn't install this time. It's about 1.5 lbs heavier ("heavy duty", duh) and I wasn't thinking about that when I picked it up.

I'm not making much more than stock power, so I'll wait to install it until I wear this one out or I get a machined or aluminum flywheel to offset the weight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 am 
Suzuki Elder

late to chime in, seth.

the 4 puck set i bought went to hotrodray without me ever installing it. yes, the pressure plate was exactly the same as their stage 1 cutch kit.

i used the stage 1 clutch kit on my red vert and it's very good. running a basically stock twincam with a few little tweaks, the clutch has not slipped at all. pedal pressure is light. after bedding in the friction pads, the clutch engagement is very smooth and precise.

keep in mind that my red vert was put together to be a daily driven summer car. if it was going to be a racer i would have used the 4 puck stage 2 kit. when i inquired i was told that the engagement was more positive and the copper/ ceramic pucks were designed to grab the flywheel tighter.

the friction disc on the stage 2 kit is a little heavier as it was designed to be more robust, used as a racing component.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:44 pm 

The extra clamping force of the heavier duty pressure plates can lead
to increased crankshaft thrust bearing wear over extended use.
Best bet is to have your stock Exedy disc relined with the ceramic friction surface.
It's pretty simple and takes all of 20 minutes if you take it down
to a reputable clutch dealer who knows their stuff.
You'll still have a nice soft pedal with exponential increase in holding power
with virtually little or no chatter.
The results on my 125 WHP T3 were astounding.