TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:48 am 

Hi guys,

Sorry if this isn't the right place (even for the car) but I'm in dire need of some information from you guys. I recently picked up a Baleno GS 1.6 in white with a GRS kit on it ... I drove it an fell in love with it, but I have an issue. The cluth is slipping and the slip is caused by a bad seal on the front input laygear (so I'm told,) I'm trying to source the seal and I hope this solves my problem, however, if I need to replace the gearbox, what are my options? Getting even a second hand gear box for this car in the UK is basicly a joke, £1000. So what else will fit up to the car? will any of the Swift g13BB boxes fit? Or off any other vehicle (Liana's etc.) Thanks in advace for any info, I've really struggling to find even basic info on this car/engine/box, hehe.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:02 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Short answer is the g15/g16 Baleno gearboxes cost a fortune because there is none left and nothing else is a direct fit, same problem here in NZ.

The g16 rod change box has the same internals as any other g10/g13 fwd box, hence the reason they wear out so quickly, a small gearbox asked to do a bigger job.
The g16 bellhousing is taller because the g15/g16 blocks are taller, hence why you can't directly bolt a g10/g13 box straight up, top two bolts don't line up, there are adapter plates you can buy to mate the big engine to the small box, the tracker/samurai 4wd guys use the adapter plates for this purpose, however I think you would need to have a look at the g13bb boxes from a baleno 3 dr to see if the gearbox mounts are the same as I'm pretty sure the swift gearbox mounts are different.

The best option is to buy a low mileage late model g10/g13 sohc gearbox and raid the internals to put inside your existing case, the reason why a reconditioned box is so expensive is they would/should of replaced the low speed syncroniser hub and they are several hundred quid, let alone the syncro's, bearings and seals, it's very common for people to rebuild their completely stuffed box with new syncro rings, bearings and seals and then complain about poor shifting between 1st and 2nd and this is due to not replacing the low speed syncro hub, getting a good donor box avoids this, then you should only need a new input seal, input shaft bearing, 1st and 2nd syncro rings.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Short answer is the g15/g16 Baleno gearboxes cost a fortune because there is none left and nothing else is a direct fit, same problem here in NZ.

The g16 rod change box has the same internals as any other g10/g13 fwd box, hence the reason they wear out so quickly, a small gearbox asked to do a bigger job.
The g16 bellhousing is taller because the g15/g16 blocks are taller, hence why you can't directly bolt a g10/g13 box straight up, top two bolts don't line up, there are adapter plates you can buy to mate the big engine to the small box, the tracker/samurai 4wd guys use the adapter plates for this purpose, however I think you would need to have a look at the g13bb boxes from a baleno 3 dr to see if the gearbox mounts are the same as I'm pretty sure the swift gearbox mounts are different.

The best option is to buy a low mileage late model g10/g13 sohc gearbox and raid the internals to put inside your existing case, the reason why a reconditioned box is so expensive is they would/should of replaced the low speed syncroniser hub and they are several hundred quid, let alone the syncro's, bearings and seals, it's very common for people to rebuild their completely stuffed box with new syncro rings, bearings and seals and then complain about poor shifting between 1st and 2nd and this is due to not replacing the low speed syncro hub, getting a good donor box avoids this, then you should only need a new input seal, input shaft bearing, 1st and 2nd syncro rings.

Good luck.
some one here had mentioned that the swift sport box internal were swappable too. On the g16 box.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
Teamswift Racer

RP91gt wrote:
some one here had mentioned that the swift sport box internal were swappable too. On the g16 box.

Thats the G16 Cable Shift box, quite different, the cable shift box from the swift sedan is based on the large frame boxes like the j series and the m16 sport, ie 70mm centre line between the shafts, the small frame g10/g13 boxes have a 60mm centerline which means much smaller teeth and bearings.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 am 

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info ... The only boxes I can find (ebay/gumtree at least) are g13 boxes out of a Suzuki Jimny 4x4 ... I'm guessing this is no good for internals?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:22 am 
Teamswift Racer

Even better, a gti box, this is what the baleno guys used when they used to rally these cars, gti has a closer 3rd, 4th and 5th gears but if you don't want the better gearing then use the standard 3rd,4th and 5th from your box, shame you have to pull it apart really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Swift- ... 27e398d464

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 am 
Teamswift Racer

Here's a few more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SWIFT- ... 4769&rt=nc

Looks weird because its from the wrong angle and the 3 cyl swift has a different bracket at the back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-2002-Suz ... 2ed1702ae1

This one looks nice, only 45k miles
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-SUZUKI-S ... 4769&rt=nc

Just did a quick search for baleno boxes, yep 800-1000 pounds is not cheap, the heavier cars really do wear out the bearings and low speed hub a lot faster than the lighter swifts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm 

is the j18 gearbox compatible with g16b engine? will it bolt straight on?