TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 pm 

Just bought a 93 Swift, has the 1.3L, Auto trans, I'v noticed when its cold, I have to manually shift the car untill heat builds in the tranny, then its fine in "D", More or less acts like it has a manual VB, I changed the fluid, didn't help, The trans shift real good otherwise, what should i look for? Thanks. 8)

Post subject: Re: Newbie?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

with just a little humor thrown in for fun, the first thing to look at would be a factory service manual. :lol:

seriously, the 93 fsm is the best asset for working on the automatics in these cars. there is a comprehensive diagnostic section, a flow chart, troubleshooting guide, and a repair section that has it all.

typically, you would find in a case like yours a safety neutral switch stack misalignment or a failing electronic transmission control unit (atcu.) there are 2 shift solenoids mounted to the pump body underneath the pan and a screen type filter that needs serviced. sometimes a fluid and filter change snaps a balky transmission out of it's problem.

it's not uncommon to find the transmission cooler section of an old radiator partially clogged which hampers flow (and pressure.) it's not out of the ordinary on an old car to have a stretched shift cable which has put the big switch on the top front out of adjustment. less often it can be broken wires in the harness.

it's repairable. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 pm 

^^^^ listen to this guy, he knows his shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:19 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
with just a little humor thrown in for fun, the first thing to look at would be a factory service manual. :lol:

seriously, the 93 fsm is the best asset for working on the automatics in these cars. there is a comprehensive diagnostic section, a flow chart, troubleshooting guide, and a repair section that has it all.

typically, you would find in a case like yours a safety neutral switch stack misalignment or a failing electronic transmission control unit (atcu.) there are 2 shift solenoids mounted to the pump body underneath the pan and a screen type filter that needs serviced. sometimes a fluid and filter change snaps a balky transmission out of it's problem.

it's not uncommon to find the transmission cooler section of an old radiator partially clogged which hampers flow (and pressure.) it's not out of the ordinary on an old car to have a stretched shift cable which has put the big switch on the top front out of adjustment. less often it can be broken wires in the harness.

it's repairable. :wink:

Thanks T3, i'll look into these things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 pm 

The 2 solenoids in the trans are the most common failure point by far. I've done a lot of them.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you will find the white 2 conductor oval cannector in the engine bay on the left side that has a harness that disappears into the transmission. that is the shift solenoid connector.

unplug that from the harness and you will see the 2 pins. each one is a shift solenoid.

rig a wire to the positive terminal of the battery that will reach the solenoid connector. touch each pin independently and listen carefully for the click of the the solenoid attached to each pin.

you may have to get someone else to listen or use a stethescope of some sort. if you do this check while the trans oil pan is off you can hear the click really well.

the solenoids are grounded through the transmission so you only need the live wire to get them to operate.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 pm 

I think the connection for those Noids got wet when i cleaned the engine, Its been working fine the last few days.