TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm 

I've never really been happy with the factory gearing on my '92 Metro Convertible with the three cylinder G10 engine.
This is with an automatic, as my white one has a fainya built 5-speed. I don't think the Automatics are overdrive like the standards....would be nice...but.....such is life.
Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT combination, but for my part of the world, in top gear with 175/70 13's at 65 mph, the engine is spinning a rather brisk 4300 rpm. Couple of years ago, I purchased the Automatic fainya pulled from his '97.
From what I understand, the factory auto on my 'vert comes with 4.40 gears, and the one I got from him should be 4.10

The last couple of days, wore fainya out. As his plate was empty enough and I have not been in the mood for doing such major surgery on my garage queen ride. I have some $$ for a HOT silver number, but the logistics would kick my.....so might as well use the cash on what I have.

I drove over to his place, and took the prime parking spot. Much of the '92 and '97 parts interchange, but there were some that were a surprise they did not work right. Good thing he had plenty of energy. The wiring plug had to be changed, as well as the back cover as the '92 has provisions for mounts on the '97 are different. After watching him scratch his head, he finally got all the work done. :huh:

As my 'old' transmission was more of a slush-box, fainya has me moving with a brisk shift that's not grandma approved. The engine rpm at speed is around 400 rpm less than with the other box, firmer, transfers more pep, and seems to be getting better mileage.

Before swap with 4.40 gears was often 36 mpg on a good day. Drive home was 92 miles, 2.23 gallons to fill up. Over 41 :o :o
It's probably more of a 'feel good' swap, but I'm glad it was done.

Attachments:
File comment: Headed to Mesquite
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG [ 504.97 KIB | Viewed 1416 times ]
File comment: Jacked up
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG [ 671.13 KIB | Viewed 1416 times ]
File comment: Headed home
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG [ 381 KIB | Viewed 1416 times ]

'91 'vert with factory 160 hp 13B two rotor, Very clean RX-7.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 pm 

Good to know what my auto spins at on the highway as I don't have a tach. How is it off the line. With 4.10's I must be a bit slower now. But if your order lyrics worry especially about highway how cares. The fuel savings will more then make up what you spent in no time. And don't forget to lock your doors. I would pull that bulb out if it was my car.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:43 am 

fainya went through this transmission before he sold it to me. It shifts firmer and at a little higher rpm than the box that was in it, and it feels like it's better off the line. At speed, the engine has as much torque at 3900 as 4400, so I am happy with it. Just thought I'd share, and to mention that an Automatic Transmission car could benefit with longer legs, IMHO.
Richard told me something about the electronic fuel injection on some of our cars might have some kind of 'change' over 4,000 rpm where fuel is dumped more and metered less, so it'll run better. Which it does.
About five quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic. That's the good stuff.

If anyone wants to purchase a 4.40 geared Automatic, I'm sure he has one he'd sell. It's freshly removed from a '92 Ragtop.

'91 'vert with factory 160 hp 13B two rotor, Very clean RX-7.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 am 

On ODB2 cars, anything over 4,000 rpm and the engine goes to straight fuel /air management. This means that egr valves,
secondary air controls, get turned off. Not sure if this happens on pre ODB2 cars.
As for the automatic transmissions I build, a good master rebuild kit along with a bushing/thrust washer kit is the only why to go
if you want them to last. On that transmission I did not change the torque converter or the front pump as they where in good shape.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:26 pm 

Do you pit a shift kit or anything in it I have an auto I want to shift like it should. I hate granny shifts.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 am 

The only tricks that I did when I rebuilt the transmission was to add a 0.050 thick washer to the line pressure valve-spring this raised
the shift points, install new bushings throughout the transmission for better sealing and support, adjust the downshift cable for higher shift points, installed a 4 cylinder converter, and use Mobil-1 full synthetic transmission fluid in the transmission. The Mobil-1 is a thicker viscosity then what is called for originally by suzuki. Now when the transmission shifts you feel each gear up shift. Supposedly the 4 cyl converter has the vans closer together then the 3 cylinder converter.
What I wish the geo automatic transmissions had are a lockup converter, and an overdrive 4th gear.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.