TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:52 am 

Got a new axle for my new to me 94 metro. As the old one was loose and flopping around. Ball joint was trashed. Got the new axle in and now having the same looseness there was before. The wheel is wobbly and it seems the axle isn't seating fully to the steering knuckle. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't missing some part or something inside the steering knuckle.

I looked at the area where the axle meets the knuckle in the rear and the axle has a brass ring around it that doesn't seem to get past the oil seal. on the back side of the passenger front knuckle. It has enough room to mount the wheel spindle and brake disk in the front of the hub. So I am confused as to why it isn't seating fully.

Once it isn't pouring rain outside. I will post some pictures of what is going on in there so it may aid in finding out the issue.

If you have any idea why it isn't mating up like it should please let me know. I have to get this fixed soon as it will be my daily. I've looked all around this forum and even the geometro forum and have come up empty handed.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:25 am 

The part on the back is a oil slinger it should not contact anything. Just come close to protect the seal. Do you have a washer behind the nut? If the old one was that loose it might of damaged the hub. Is it loose in and out or side to side ( rotating play)

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:35 pm 

I didn't see any serious damage to anything on the back side of the knuckle. just isn't locking up as it should. It's seems to be loose and have play where the axle is attached to hub. When the wheel is mounted there is play all around. I think I am going to post a video on this as it is just odd to me. Never seen an axle not seat when everything is together.

Also some pictures of whats going on. Probably next week as the weather isn't playing nice. I do all my work in the drive way. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:52 am 

Do the splines one the new axle match the old one? If the splines aren't cut long enough the would bottom out before the joint contacted the back side of the hub and preloads the bearings.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:06 pm 

The splines do line up. And it slips in and seats properly to the hub its self. Seems like it should fit tighter to the steering knuckle. Which there is like a 1/16" gap behind the knuckle. Where the axle should seat tighter to the oil seal or something. It's very odd.

Never had this happen with an axle before. They have just slid in for me and locked up tight before. Without issue. The axle and everything are the same length as the one I took out. And are pretty close to identical. Seems there is either a problem with the hub or the knuckle. As stated above having the same issue as the old axle. New axle cv joint is a little stiffer. But that's because it isn't beat to hell like the old one. I heard the axle bumping at the CV joint when I went to test drive the new axle down the street. Then checked the wheel again and found it was loose like before.

Maybe this coming weekend I can tare into it again. Take some pictures and maybe video. To further aid in helping my confusion. Maybe its something to do with the bearings? Inside the knuckle not holding the hub correctly? Going to have to take a real good look under there and find out.

Also the ball joint and tie rod ends are in great shape so those aren't the issue as I can tell. No leaks and balls are still tight. Just odd that I would be getting that much play in the wheel like the hub isn't sitting in the knuckle properly or something.

Hell. Maybe there is something missing parts wise I don't know about. I also have another wheel hub in storage. But that's for a 87 sprint. Looks pretty identical. Maybe I will see it that works as well.

If anyone has a picture of how the axle fits up against the back of the knuckle. That would be helpful.

Quote:
The part on the back is a oil slinger it should not contact anything. Just come close to protect the seal. Do you have a washer behind the nut? If the old one was that loose it might of damaged the hub. Is it loose in and out or side to side ( rotating play)
To answer this. It is loose side to side. Not in and out. Think camber or toe.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:49 pm 

I'm just going to buy a whole new hub, disk and knuckle from a junk yard. Gave up trying to figure out what was wrong. best to just replace it all and be done. thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:05 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Your description has me confused..

Where is the play exactly?

Are the splines sliding back and forth (in and out) of the hub?? If that is the case, did you re-install the washer that goes behind the nut that holds the cv axle to the hub?? Because it sounds like you didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
Your description has me confused..

Where is the play exactly?

Are the splines sliding back and forth (in and out) of the hub?? If that is the case, did you re-install the washer that goes behind the nut that holds the cv axle to the hub?? Because it sounds like you didn't.

The hub it's self is just flopping around. After inspection there wasn't a washer there. On the back of the hub. I'm sure a lot more than that was missing. Without a clear picture as to what was factory IDK? Probably someone not putting things back together as they should have done.

None the less. When I get free time I am going to install the one I got from the junk yard. Was just less hassle to replace it all with a factory knuckle and hub. That way I know it's all factory and hasn't been jacked with. Still trying to get some time off to do all this. Been working 7 days a week with only a few hours a night to sleep. So fixing my ride has taken a back burner for at least a week.

Will get some pictures up to help people further see what is going on. Just haven't had any time to tackle this project.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:05 pm 
Make love, not moderators

If the hub is flopping around, then the wheel bearing is toast.

AND most importantly, make sure there is a washer there.. The washer keeps the nut from bottoming out on the threads, AND allows the splines of the CV shaft to SQUEEZE the bearing keeping it from having too much play and preventing pre-mature failure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:56 pm 

All the things mentioned were gone. After pulling the old knuckle and compaired it to the new one. I could see that the back side where the hub should seat inside the bearing wasn't doing so. Also comes to find out the parts store gave me the wrong axle. So I have to find one of those somewhere. Now I don't trust the place and was last one they had. Been frustrating. But thus is the way of the swift owner. Tracking down parts that only exist in the darkest corners of the planet. =)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:36 pm 

Thats one reason even before I was a parts technician I always did my own research on the part I needed. I would find out the brand they carry and get my own part #. Sure it could be boxed wrong but thats life. As a partsman I had an even better time locating the correct part because I hade more resources and could order in a bunch of different ones and compare. But sometimes you have to know a car to get the right parts and if they dont know anything about metros or even cars in general as lots of "partsman" I have come accross then good luck. I know I wont stop until I have exhausted evey Avenue and there have been very few times I have not been able to figure it out.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 pm 

After installing the new knuckle and hub everything is good. Now waiting on axle from partsgeek. Thanks for the help everyone.