TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cv axle question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:59 pm 

I have a 3.52 manual transmission that came out of a 91-92 metro that I am going to install into an 87 mk1. I know it is a direct bolt up, but my old cv shafts are toast and need to be replaced.

Would I need to get shafts for a 87 or for the 90's model geo?..was thinking them all to be the same, but I see they are not.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

Post subject: Re: cv axle question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:18 am 

That transmission will bolt up to Mk1 but that is as far as you will get . There is no provisions for Mk1 mounts on Mk2 tranny. Also you will need custom axles. I wish myself it was as easy as you thought :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:57 am 

I figured their might be some headache with the mounts but have had to do similar before. Running a self made mount on my 86 tranny now as they dont offer ones for Automatics anymore. On the term custom shafts...are you referring to a set of std shafts that have to be cut/shortened and welded? From what I see so far, the splines on both the tranny and wheels are the same, figuring length is the issue.

Any info or expereince on this swap out appreciated.

Why do we do it?
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm 

Hmmmm...has no one ever attempted this other than, OK it bolts up but now we got problems and quit? Anyone out there ever take it any farther and prove there is no way reasonably possible to make it happen.

If so what did you find to be the obstacles? Did none of the mounts work? did maybe one of them work and others had to be improvised?
Mounts can be made i've done it rather easily and use it daily on my 86.

On the shafts, whats the issue? is it the joints, is it the shaft length.

mk1 perfect fit trannies are getting more scarce than hens teeth. If the one you have is a turbo model with the first gear problem, I have not heard of a soul that has been able to fix that. Or has posted a topic about it. Gotta look at options if your gonna keep a classic mk1 on the road.

Why do we do it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 pm 

You can make it work. Use your cross member from the mk1 and the mk1 mounts and just fabricate the part that bolts to the trans from there. If you put it in place with the engine mounts on the engine.I would think that axle length would be real close to factory. I do not know about axle splines though. If you have a axle rebuilder near your location they could fix you up with what you need. I started to do this on a 88 turbo sprint. But car was traded before I could finish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 am 

Thanks for the input Hotrodray.....kinda what I figured might be the situation. Not beyond fabbing anything at all. Everything I am seeing so far before starting all of this leads me to beleive that the length on the shafts should be near the same. Luckily the tranny I have came with the joints stuck into it, just to protect anything from going into the open holes during shipping or whatever. With those on hand I can easily compare spline setup to the OEM for the mk1 setup. Yeah, Ive already checked into a few sources for custom shafts and the price isnt much more than a rebuilt set of std shafts. Just like a custom drive shaft on an old chevy or ford, all they have to know is spline specs and distance. My old mk1 shafts were toast anyway so new shafts of some sort were part of the project.
This project is an 87 turbo sprint with the 1st gear problem. I got the car a few years ago with plans of converting my 4dr automatic to a turbo5 speed. But the old thing ran so good coming home I never could make myself do it. Rust may eventually force me to do it anyway, but if the body is able to be saved will stick with the 2 dr. Would like to fix the oem tranny, but 3 years later still have not heard of anyone having luck doing so, and no parts at all to be found to fix the common 1st gear slipping situation.

Why do we do it?