TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:24 pm 

It's not ALWAYS hard start. The half a dozen times I started it today going around town some, it never hard started when cold or warmed up. It also didn't idle as rough today. I haven't done anything to it, to make it change it's behavior.

It makes a bit of a high pitched sound when pressing the gas pedal pretty much any amount, not super loud but I can notice it with no music going and the windows up. They mentioned that sound and said it sounds like a timing belt and also some other noise that sounded like a loose timing belt.

I work slow so it might take me 2 hours to do the timing belt, but yeah, it should be easy enough with the gobs of wrenches and sockets I have. Maybe I can get a friend to pass me the tools to speed things up a little, especially since I'll be working on the ground without raising the car any.

A Metro doesn't have a lot of ground clearance so having someone to pass the tools would be handy. It might be worthwhile to just drive to the self-service garage and pay for an hourly rate garage bay to do the work where it's cleaner and drier. Then I can plug in a work light too and have better working conditions. No worrying about rain or being scolded for working on my car in the parking lot here. Or residents approaching me asking whats' wrong with my car, as they tend to do anytime they see a hood up, even if you're just routinely checking your fluids and air filter.

I'll worry about plugs and wires later since that's super easy to change in an auto parts store parking lot. That could be another things -- plugs. I haven't checked them any since I got the car. I keep putting off buying the $3 spark plug socket I need for them. I had one that size but who knows what happened to it. I only have the smaller one (like for mowers) now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 pm 

The car is back at the trans shop, leaking trans fluid badly.... they'll call me in a day or two....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:55 pm 

Two days and no call. I guess they're rebuilding it all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am 

I have had my autos leak at where the case gets put together.....there is no gasket, just sealant where the case halves meet....I hope they use a great sealant there (permatex ''the right stuff'') not cheap sealant, but it does the job right. the cleaner the surface, the better.
I also have had issues with axle seals. autos have different seals than manuals, seem harder to find.
they should go good for any issues, you have a one year warranty?
its always annoying when things don't go right
good luck!!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:36 pm 

Yes, one year warranty on labor / five on parts.

I called earlier and they said a second complete tear down and rebuild with all new seals resulted in the same leaking so they were just about to pull it AGAIN to try to find the source of the leaking. Sounds like I picked the wrong shop, for sure.

They said call again later (I will at 4, in 30 mins) to see what if anything they figured out. :? They said "maybe it's a crack in the case?". They didn't know yet. I said "well, it wasn't leaking before...". They said well yeah, that's why they're gonna pull it again and inspect it closely.

It will be interesting if they give up eventually and refund me..... leaving me with a rebuilt but badly leaking transmission. I suspect if they do that, I may just throw in the towel on the car and just get rid of it, as much as I hate to do that. :(

Be danged if I'm gonna potentially have this problem at every transmission shop I drag it to.

Maybe that car is jinxed. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:02 pm 

I just called them back. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and it seemed to be coming from the bell housing so they got another one and are in the processing of reassembling it again.

They said they put a new "case gasket" in it on the second rebuild (the first tried when I took it back) and it still leaked, so now it's on the third rebuild with a replacement bell housing they got.

But they can't find anything wrong.. they're just taking stabs in the dark at this point.

They said it'll be 30-60 mins and then they'll call me once they get it together and test it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 pm 

Just got back from picking up the car. They said it's not leaking now with the replacement bell housing they got and put on it. We'll see if it holds up this time. They can't figure out why the old bell housing suddenly leaks so badly. Must be a hairline crack that they can't see they said. But as they said, "it must have gotten cracked during removal or installation", so it was on their hands to fix.

I had to get them to bring out a wrench to tighten the positive battery terminal though... LOL

The engine feels like it's idling a little shakey again but not as bad as before when I picked it up from there after the initial rebuild, and before I put a new timing belt and tensioner (pulley). Maybe it's due to the old mounts and/or the ECU re-learning due to the battery being off of it so much again.

Could be they didn't set timing properly too. *shrugs* It drives okay though, the 3 miles or so to come back home with it just now.