TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:19 am 

This article is to show the differences between the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 and later transaxles.
The mark 1 transaxle can not be used in later cars. The mounting points, internal difference and
case differences will not allow this to happen with out major modifications to the car and the transaxle.
Lets start with the case differences.
External case mounts and there location are completely different.
2926 shows mark 1 on the right. with the mounts holes, the location of the 3 hole shift linkage access cover, and
some of the external differences.
Attachment:
IMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2926.JPG [ 592.6 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

2922 Shows internal differences of the shift rod holes, differential location, speedometer drive gear, and the input
shaft bearing location. The Mk 1 uses a tapered roller bearing one the input shaft, where the later transaxles use
a ball bearing.
Attachment:
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG [ 714.06 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

The input shaft outer bearing race has got to be removed to change out the input shaft seal. Unless you want to buy
a $300 to $400 bearing puller you need to weld a big washer to the race so you can drive it out of the case with a long
punch from the input shaft/throw out bearing collar bell housing side of the case.
3013 shows the washer welded to the input bearing race that has to be removed.
Attachment:
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG [ 468.37 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

The Mk 1 has both of the 1-2 syncros and slider and the 3-4 syncros and slider on the pinion shaft. Where the Mk 2 and later
transaxles have the syncros and sliders split between the input shaft and the pinion shaft.
2930 Mark 1 is on the right, Mark 2 on the left. Slider and synro locations, input shaft bearing type, and thinner 1st gear.
Attachment:
IMG_2930.JPG
IMG_2930.JPG [ 573.97 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

The shafts have oiling holes that must be checked to be sure that there is noting clogging the flow of oil to the bearings.
I use my solvent tank to test and clean the shafts oil passage. This must be checked. I have run into clogged shaft oil
feed holes. This will rune the needle bearings that the gear ride on.
2969 shows the pinion shaft being tested and cleaned for oil flow.
Attachment:
IMG_2969.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG [ 444.17 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

This transaxle would not stay in 1st gear and this next picture hows the engaging dog on 1st gear to be worn out. I also
glass bead the forcing cone on the gears. This really helps with down shifting. Don't use aluminum oxide, it is to course
of a finish and will wear out the syncros in about 5,000 miles.
2980 shows before and after comparisons of Mk 1 first gears. The one on the left has the worn out engaging dogs.
Attachment:
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG [ 488.52 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

1st/2nd gear slider hub is held onto the pinion shaft with a split thrust washer. The later transaxles use a snap ring.
2985 shows the split thrust washer in place on the left set of gears. The right shaft is the one that will be going back
into the transmission. Note the finish differences in the 1st gears. The one on the right was shot peened to improve the
surface hardness of the gear.
Attachment:
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG [ 533.42 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

2nd gear is also using a split thrust washer to hold it in place on the pinion shaft. It has an added retainer ring for the thrust washer to keep the parts in place. Later transmissions do not use a snap ring in this location.
2988 shows the 2nd gear thrust washer retainers location.
Attachment:
IMG_2988.JPG
IMG_2988.JPG [ 478.11 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

2993 shows the spring used between 2nd and 3rd gear to keep the gears in place.
Attachment:
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG [ 527.88 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

2995 These are the proper part numbers for 1st and 2nd gear syncros for the Mark 1 transmission.
Attachment:
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG [ 450.63 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

2999 assembled pinion shaft. all the gears have been shot peened to improve there surface hardness. The left shaft will be going
back into the transaxle.
Attachment:
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_2999.JPG [ 537.28 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]

3002 both input and pinion shaft finished. Input shaft front seal area must be smooth or the seal will leak. Shift forks inplace.
Input shaft pilot bearing area must be to size and smooth. If worn to badly it will take out an input shaft bearing and inut shaft
seal.
Attachment:
IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3002.JPG [ 544.95 KIB | Viewed 1501 times ]

At this point our website will not allow me to add another picture. So I will have to post part two to continue.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:56 pm 

https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=24431-82140 https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=24431-82040

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:43 pm 

Hey man, new turbo owner here (with much of disappointment due to lack of parts availability). I was under impression that it was an old thread and you might not be active, but now i see it was a joint date, and posting was made recently. Excelent write up- and you nicely show a differences between those two types, but you also mention that mk1 swap into later is not doable due to size of the casting?. What is the current take on swapping a later transmission (5 speed form geo) onto turbo body. How extensive the fabrication will get if possible. I am engine builder for 2 stroke motorcycle shop, and just hate to be using a second gear of the get go. Thanx a lot. Bart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 am 
Teamswift Racer

Nothing in here that hasn't been covered plenty of times, however a lot of the old links and photo's are missing so at least they are in one thread now.

The only way to run the later mk2 box in a mk1 is to fabricate a new gear box mount at the front, not sure how you'll go for the rear mount, on the 4 cylinders you need to swap in the mk2 4 cylinder driveshafts and intermediate shaft because the centre line of the diff is different, now I'm presuming on the 3 cylinder you will have to do the same, you'll probably need to change the knuckles to mk2 to run the mk2 driveshafts and bigger outer CV's, (I'm presuming the MK1 T3 runs the same size driveshafts as the non turbo, in the mk1 Gti(G13b twincam) the driveshafts are 1mm bigger and than the 1.3 sohc.)
I'm sure T3ragtop can clarify the Mk1 G10 T3 vs Sohc G10 but the critcal difference between mk1 and mk2 is the centre line of the diff is moved slightly towards the middle of the car due to the shorter gearset.

Swiftsedan posted a photo of his mount
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=53721

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:55 pm 

Not ever having tried to swap a mark 2 into a turbo mark 1 I am not sure what you will run into.
After looking at the mark 1 transmission I would say you will have to fabricate a lot of parts.
The mark 1 has a sub frame that bolts up to the bottom of the engine compartment.
The question I have is the body strong enough to take mounting an engine and transmission to it
if you remove the sub frame? If you attempt to do this swap, take lots of pictures and post them.
We will all be interested in what you run into.
Also post in the wanted items. Someone may decide to get rid of there mark 1 parts.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.