TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:57 pm 

I have a 87 turbo and a spare transmission and motor that I'm not sure came from an 87 or 88. While removing the motor and comparing the transmissions I noticed the speedo cable has a different notch at the end between the two (not interchangable). Were there any differences between years or locations? For example, somebody told me the Canadian tranmission had lower gearing, is the tranny different? There are H numbers on both transmissions. I tried to find a way to identify them but I can't. I don't have any RPO codes either from the car. My goal is to end up with the tranmission installed in the car that has the lowest gearing and give me the best accelleration. I did a lot of searching on here first but didn't really find my answers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:02 pm 

All turbo Mk1 transmissions are 4.10 final drive and have 4 spider gears in the differential. You can clearly see them when you pull the axles out of it. If you don't have 4 spider gears then you don't have T3 trans. As far as speedo cable , I thought they are all the same for Mk1 but I don't know for sure. The only difference I know is the routing to the instrument cluster without a tach on non turbo models

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 pm 

Thanks DTM, I'll pull the axles and check out the spider gears. Is there another transmission I can swap to get a lower gear ratio something in 4.3's ? From what I've read, you can only use Mk1 trannys with Mk1 and that's it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:16 pm 

In North America only trans is 4.10 , you can source one from overseas out of Mk1 GTi , that one has same 4.10 diff but shorter and closer spaced gears .
Anything can be done with right fabricating skills including swapping Mk2 4.39 in but for a bolt on Mk1 trans is the only one available for our cars