TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:37 pm 

Hi There,

An issue with my '93 Metro A/T has resulted in no reverse or 2nd gear (very late shift into 3rd). This seems to be a common problem but I can't seem to find a solution on the forum anywhere. As part of the diagnosis I have pulled the transmission filter and started testing the solenoids which brings me to my question.

Upon testing each solenoid with a hand powered oil bottle I found that after some resistance both solenoids (2nd brake and direct clutch) have ATF leak through the three holes on the solenoids (no battery power applied). As I said, there is some resistance when no power is connected to the solenoids but I am able to overpower this resistance after a couple of pumps with the oil bottle. When power IS connected ATF runs through the holes almost effortlessly. Also both solenoids make the normal clicking noise when battery power is applied. Is this normal to be able to overcome the solenoid resistance and make ATF come out of the holes while unpowered with a bit of effort or does this show that BOTH solenoids have failed? Seems unlikely to me but I need some expert opinions!

TCM was professionally refurbished about a year ago. The previous failure manifested a different issue altogether (the normal stuck in third but can shift manually problem) so I am doubtful this would be the cause but haven't yet ruled it out.

The factory service manual troubleshooting process has so far eliminated an electronic issue with manual shift test showing the same results and no DTCs coming from TCM or ECM.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm 

Leaking solenoid, tested with 71 PSI of compressed air so I would know what pressure was being applied instead of in the blind with a hand oiler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 pm 

I don't believe you will find you have a solenoid issue. If the solenoids fail you land up with a transmission that functions fine in all gears but only full manually and just won't shift thrrough the gears properly. You probably have an internal clutch or seal problem.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!