TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:32 pm 

I want to know how to find a transmission for my swift?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:55 pm 

There are a number of threads Here on Teamswift that address all of your options, and you have a number to chose from.

My story (This may help you) A number of years ago I had a black 1994 swift Gt I was fixing up for myself, I had finished all the mechanical work but hadn't started on the body yet, I took my 16 year old nephew for a ride, and he was hooked. He begged and pleaded until I sold him the car for $500.00 down. 2 weeks later I towed it into the shop with a blown 5speed tranny. (His younger brother who later came to work for me, years later told me it let go while racing an eclipse GT
:x :x
to keep peace in the family I gave him a refund for having sold him a "Lemon" The car was parked out back for two years untill I found a wrecked 91 GT to donate a trans. I fixed up the car painted it. and sold it to a guy who soon after took it and moved to Oregon.

What I have since learned here at teamswift that would have helped me then, is ANY transmission from a 3cly metro 4cyl. metro or swift (both SOHC and DOHC) are all direct bolt ins. None is built any stronger or heavier then any other. The only difference is the final drive ratio. But absolutely any will work, and get you back on the road. the difference in final drive ratio is very small between the pedestrian 3 cly. metro and that found in your GT/GTI so depending on what your budget, and what your needs and desires are. A cheappie 3cyl. trans. could work. If your goal is performance, try to find a trans from a 1990 to 1993 3cyl. convertible, as I believe that the final drive there is 4.39 to 1. giving you a slight bump in performance over stock. If your goal is economy. (Which is a waste for someone driving a GT/GTI, and counter productive!!) swap in a trans from a 89-94 metro XFI or a later (95 -2000) sohc 4cly. 5speed transmission.

I hope you find this info helpful and concise. Welcome to Teamswift. Lots of more detailed info and many guys who are much more qualified advisor’s the I are available in the Various threads contained here, Good luck, Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm 

The GTI and t3 transmissions have a stronger differential and clutch among other things. They are most definitely stronger.

Regular metro/swift will bolt up perfectly but will blow up once you try to launch the car

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:56 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Gt and T3 Differential are indeed slightly bigger, the biggest killer is spinning one wheel, drive them normally and the standard diff will be fine, they just don't tolerate any sort of misuse.
All the 4cyl clutches are same, some manufacturers clutches clamp more than others.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 am 
Suzuki Elder

i have used 4.39 transmissions on twincam and turbo3 engines for years without issues.

i have not yet scattered a transmission due to operating them on engines that create more hp and torque.

i learned to drive horrid british sports cars, unsynchronized first gears and glass transmissions, so a suzuki transmission seems pretty solid to me. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:31 pm 

1. GTi casing have extra mount (bracket under engine) which make it a little bit stronger
2. GTi have stronger diff.
3. GTi have stronger crown wheel (weaker one will work with no problems, lot's of ppl use 4.39 which is weaker one)
4. GTi have closer ratio on 3th, 4th and 5th gear.. personaly i use 5th from sohc/3cyl to get lower rpm on highway (but i use shorter FDs.. 4.92 before and now i'm going with 4.44)

i would not use non gti casing and non gti diff for tuned gti going hard.. (left foot breaking, wheel spinning and corner cutting is killing gearboxes)

but for the time while my gti box is broken i have an old 3cyl box with gti diff (casing, fd and gears are all from 3cly) and it work ok even with some abuse by time to time :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 pm 
Teamswift Racer

:roll: North America did not get the closer ratio 3rd 4th and 5th gears that all other markets got.
The Gti crown wheel is the same strength as all other 4cyl crown wheels, the non turbo g10 versions were thinner but the crown wheel itself is not the weakest link.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 am 

This is the difference. Find a GT differential and swap it into a N/A.

There is even a difference between the GT differentials.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 am 

apologies to each, I stand corrected :oops: :oops: :oops: Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp