TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 pm 

At some of the rallies this year the topic of how do I determine the pounds of pressure of my pressure plate?
It would be nice if the manufacturers marked the pressure plates with the pounds of holding force, but they do not.
So keeping it simple I came up with a way to test pressure plates.
You will need a bathroom scale, a press, a throw out bearing and the pressure plate you want to test.
3244 shows the items you will need.

Attachment:
IMG_3244.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG [ 472.52 KIB | Viewed 1040 times ]

Place the bathroom scale on the press. Then face down place the pressure plate on top of the scale. Allow for being able to
read the scale. Place the throw out bearing on the pressure plate fingers. Now pump the jacket handle until the ram touches
the throw out bearing. Continue to pump the ram slowly and you will see the scale pounds reading increase. As you continue
to pump the handle at some point the pounds stop increasing. Stop pumping. read the scale for the amount of pounds shown.

Attachment:
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG [ 521.24 KIB | Viewed 1040 times ]

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:35 am 

Good tip, any other tips will be greatly apriciated, pass down that wisdom!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:49 am 

Ultimate Utilization of available Resources. My economics professor said this to me at the end of my first year with him.
I had classes with him for two more years. And we continue to communicate more then 30 years later. He was a great
teacher to have, and he also enjoyed my approach to solving problems.
I grew up being poor and learned to use what I had on hand to make thing work.
Passing along these simple solutions to problems will help you all become better at working on mechanical stuff and hopefully
help you think about how you can solve problems simply.
There are alot of young members out there that can push computer buttons much better then me. It is there lack of
mechanical knowledge that I am trying to help them with. It just that us older folks have grown up under a different
technology. There's is a digital age, ours was an analogy age.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.