TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gear oil substitute
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am 

Hi all, I'm looking for a gear oil for my 98 swift gti. All the stores on my little island have only gl5, not the recommended gl4. I've heard that Automatic transmission fluid or SAE 50 engine oil can work. Need help. Those who know please chime in!

Post subject: Re: Gear oil substitute
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:05 pm 

Hey, I was just in Antigua!

ATF works fine, and it's what I would use if Synchromesh wasn't available. Although with your weather, if you use it under severe service like racing, a GL5 world probably work fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:14 pm 

I use the car for fun on the streets and drag racing once a week. It has only a few mods. Doesn't gl5 wear down the synchros? What's the best choice?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:56 pm 

I have used for years Moble-1 full synthetic 75/90w gear oil in the transmissions that I rebuild. It also has the additives for LSD.
I have transmission that I built over 5 years ago that still shift just as good as when I rebuilt the transmission.
I can not say enough good about this product. It also works well in cold weather environments down to about -20 degrees.
The GM syncro mesh destroys transmissions. And the ATF will work but it is to light for our transmissions. It also makes the
gears whine more then normal. I have not used ATF in anything that I have built, so I can't say what it will do to the transmissions
after it has been in them for 100,000 miles. But if I was to use ATF I would be sure it is Moble-1 full synthetic.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:52 pm 
Teamswift Racer

fainya wrote:
The GM syncro mesh destroys transmissions.

Bullsh#t... please stop stating your opinions as facts, it's very tiring and frankly quite dangerous.

GL4 is recommended for our transmissions to protect the 'yellow' metals, yes GL5 is better for the bearings and the gears, the people that invent these gear oils do know what they are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:18 pm 

i'm using motul "motylgear" 75w-90 in stock gearbox and in gearbox with helical/torsen lsd.. motul gear 300 (the one without aditive for plated lsd) is even better but more expensive..
for gearboxes with plated type LSD we use motul PA90.. it's mineral gearbox oil with 90 viscosity (it's not combo like 75w-90, 80w-90 or 80w-140) and lsd aditive.. it's cheap and we change it every 2-3 races..

anything from well known company (like mobil1, motul, castrol,..) will work fine.. 75w-90 if your temps go under 0°C (32F) or 80w-90 if temps stay over 0°C whole year..

i don't know SAE50 oil, and for ATF i only have experience from power steerings.. and i would NOT use it in manual gearbox..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:18 pm 

Dattman wrote:
fainya wrote:
The GM syncro mesh destroys transmissions.

Bullsh#t... please stop stating your opinions as facts, it's very tiring and frankly quite dangerous.

GL4 is recommended for our transmissions to protect the 'yellow' metals, yes GL5 is better for the bearings and the gears, the people that invent these gear oils do know what they are doing.

You're right on all accounts.
Also been using Synchro and ATF in both high mileage and race applications with these trans for 15 years and never worn out or blown a trans, even in higher HP applications.
5W30 motor oil will also work, as recommended by Suzuki.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:37 pm 

I just bought ATF dextron6 hopefully that does the trick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:18 am 

gl-5 75w outboard gear oil works awesome. I tried 75-90 syn, all the gears did was crash and grind....
syncromesh in last transmission, shifts great!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. Most of the brands mentioned here are not available locally. best brands here are Castrol and valvoline. so my final options are: gl5 gear oil; ATF or 5W30 engine oil. Which do I go with?