TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SHOCKS for LOWERED gti
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:21 pm 
banned

i have a 89 gti with cut sp[rings<br>is there any shocks that are designed for an exetremely low swift?<br>i will be putting on lowering springs but not for now and the springs are cut as much as possible<br><br>if my cut springs are not stiff enough(very possible)could this shorten the life of the shocks? <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 am 
Cut springs are not a good idea, you have no idea how much you've increased the rate, unless you're a metallurgist. Cutting them leaves a sharp edge which can damage the platforms..unless you've been advised to heat and flatten the ends (usually by some stupid prat who doesn't realise it anneals the end). You'll find the end of the spring soon breaks off. Not clever.<br>Most shocks will work but it's sensible to check before fitting any spring/damper combo.. you can always adjust with bump stops. You should be aware that you need to check you still have travel left in the driveshafts at full compression or, you'll kill the diff sidebearings, or, the cv's themselves.<br><br>Iain <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:51 am 
banned

i know that cut springs are crap but i cant do much better right now<br>all my cv`s shock bearings and most other front end parts are gone so i dont have to worry about breaking anything <br>thanks for the advice <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:23 am 
Teamswift Racer

Hello JOMO<br><br>u sound like me. my swift is not my primary car. my other car i am building has 25 way adjust KONI race struts, coil overs, and race springs. <there goes more money then i ahve in my swift><br><br>But my swift hass......<br><br>u guessed it cut coils. i have taken off one coil off each, and then heated and heat treated the coils so they sit flat. my struts didn't work so well so i drilled a hole in them, drained the fuild and filled them with 30 w shock oil. and thats my race car! <for now><br><br>yes it isn't the "right" way but i'm not spendign huge bukcs on this car.<br><br>If u want to know how to heat treat your coils, email me as we have learned this in school.<br><br>later<br>MURR <p></p><i></i>