TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: door lock
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:04 pm 
banned

when i lock my door, driver side, i cant open it with the key, its like theres something stuck in there, can i do anything or do i have to see a lock smith, same with my hatch, key goes in, but its like seized, doesnt wanna turn.. thus i have a hatch that does not open :(

Post subject: Re: door lock
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:44 pm 

`I0n` wrote:
when i lock my door, driver side, i cant open it with the key, its like theres something stuck in there, can i do anything or do i have to see a lock smith, same with my hatch, key goes in, but its like seized, doesnt wanna turn.. thus i have a hatch that does not open :(

Squirt some decent lube in there (like LPS). The 'tumblers' (not really tumblers) might be binding in their slots. Your key could also be too worn out and not match up with your door tumbler's. If the latter is the cause, you're kind of SOL.

Dave

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:22 am 

when i bought my vert from the wreckers i didnt get any keys. so i had a local locksmith come out and make me some keys. cost me 25 bucks . he put a key in and tried to turn it,then pulled it out and filed the marks,untill it worked. maybe a locksmith in your area could do the same if the key is wrong for the doors and hatch.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:28 am 

squirt some WD40 or lube as said above take your key and push it in and out left and right a few times. spray your key to get it lube'd up that should help it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:01 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

My own locks are sometimes tempermental, they will open if I wiggle my key a bit though. If yours will open with some wiggling then your lock is just worn out. To make a new key go get yourself an uncut key blank and take your lock apart. Mark where the tumblers contact the key blade and file that part down until the tumbler is flush with the shear line. Repeat for the rest of the key. I personally use a a Dremel with a cutoff wheel on low speed to speed up material removal. You can also use this method to rekey your lock by swapping your tumblers around first.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 pm 
banned

well heres the thing, the key still works for the ignition and the passenger door lock, so i know the key is good, its almost like peice of a key is broken off in it (the drivers door that is)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:26 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Take your door panel off to see if the linkage is still connected. It's common for vehicle that have been previously broken into, to have the linkages disconnected from a broken lock to restore security to the car (though not convenience). If you can insert your key, turn it one way or the other, and nothing happens, it's probably disconnected linkage rods.

maybe a picture Thanks