TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:36 am 

I bought cams from them 3 years ago. They sell reground cams, but they don't tell you.

After 5000 Km of use, I could see through the oil cap hole at the valve cover that the intake cam was damaged. One of the cam lobes was starting to lose welded material. So I took pics of it to show the problem to suzisport. After 3 months of e-mails, phone calls, faxes, etc... they told me a new intake cam was sent under warranty, and they also told me it was not reground, but new billet cam as they were experiencing some problems with reground cams.

15 days later, the cam arrived. It was a reground cam. I had no other choice, so I installed it.

2 years later (This week, after only 10.000 Km) I took out the valve cover and this is what I got:

-2 intake lobes damaged (cracked material like before)
-2 exhaust lobes damaged
-4 lifters have their "mirror" surface badly scratched and damaged due to the corresponding damaged cam lobes.

Although they did replace the cam at no cost, the replacement one was as poor quality as the first one. I suggest to stay away from Suzisport products. I would even stay away from refilled cams.

Pictures of the first bad cams are in the photo album:
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=283
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=282

Last edited by Caaarlo on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:44 am 

Quote:
I would even stay away from reground cams.

Please don't confuse poorly welded reground cams with ones that are properly done, or cams that are just ground and not welded. I'm not sure why they would weld them up. I have ground many cams, some with pretty aggressive profiles, and still have retained good base circle diameter. An unwelded reground cam is no different than a stock cam as far as wear, service life, and reliability are concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:07 pm 

Hmmm as far as i know, regrinding a cam involves adding material to the stock core first, filling the lobes. Usually done with a welding machine, right ? Once you have done that, you regrind the lobe to the desired profile. If the filling process or hardness treatment were done improperly, then you will experince these sort of problems.

BTW, you got PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:54 pm 

Caaarlo wrote:
Hmmm as far as i know, regrinding a cam involves adding material to the stock core first, filling the lobes. Usually done with a welding machine, right ? Once you have done that, you regrind the lobe to the desired profile. If the filling process or hardness treatment were done improperly, then you will experince these sort of problems.

BTW, you got PM.

It is a process that can be done (welding) if you have excessively worn lobes, there is not sufficient lobe mat'l to support the grind being applied, or if there will be interference, or geometry problems once the new profile is completed. In the case of the GT cams, there is plenty of material, lots of base circle diameter, and no geometry issues. As far as I know, there is no heat treatment involved, other than maybe some preheating of the cast iron.
I have never added material to any of my cams for a few reasons. It is a time consuming process (expensive), is not generally required, and can, although rarely, be a problem.
I didn't get your PM, and what are the specs of your cams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:10 pm 

My cams are quite similar to the cams you sell. 0.340" lift and 258º duration. They were offered by Suzisport as Group A cams in the past.

I don't have a pic, but in my cams, if you look at a lobe from a side, you can clearly see the stock lobe in one color and the added material in a slightly different color.

PM sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:28 pm 

Quote:
My cams are quite similar to the cams you sell. 0.340" lift and 258º duration

Only the lift is the same. The duration numbers tell me that they are not the same grind.
I have no idea why they would do thet. Why don't you contact them and ask them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:48 pm 

So, if your cams are not refilled, then you decrease the base circle size when regrinding a profile with increased lift, right ? If so, this will lead the lifters to rest in a higher position ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:36 pm 

Yes, but they are hydraulic, and have more than enough preload to take uo the difference, which is ussually not signifigant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:11 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Suzisport is now apparently willing to stand behind their products:
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vt.26214.htm

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:58 pm 

We have been regrinding camshafts since 1970.

Regrinding a cam only requires welding if a lobe has failed to the point that the hard layer has been worn through.

Welding can be very difficult to do properly when regrinding a cam. That being said, we often receive camshafts as cores that have been previously welded and reground, and the welded lobes are not the ones that failed.

Although welding can be difficult, it is not difficult to ensure that the finished product is done properly by using a magnetic crack inspection and a hardness tester.

We specialize in cams, cam followers, cam lobes, cam sections, and cam muffs for industrial engines, especially in the natural gas compression field.

Kams, Inc. Camshaft remanufacturing and grinding