TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:32 pm 

Hi,

I just finished installing the Suzukird.com 4:1 header on my Swift GT. I thought I would share a review with pictures.

1 Shipping and packaging.

They shipped very fast and I had my header in a few days. The packaging was also very good. I give them a A+ on shipping and packaging.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5041

2 Product quality.

I don't know very much about the other headers out there so I'll just have to let the pictures speak for themselves. To me it seemed to be a good quality product.

I got the bolt on option.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5042

Back side view.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5043

Front view.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5044

Whole view.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5045

Side view.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5046

3 Power difference.

It did make a big power increase! :twisted: I don't have any way to measure it exactly. :huh: You feel the difference at anything above 4000rpm and it just keeps pulling harder from there. I have not taken it above 7000rpm. It did not affect my lower RPMs as much as I had thought it would. I don't really notice much loss of power in the lower RPMs. I'm very glad I decided to do this upgrade.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5047

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5048

4 Problems.

The only problem I'm having is that there is no room for the CAT. :? I'm currently getting ready to do a new exhaust so I'll have to solve it then. It seems to me that they designed this for running with no CAT. :roll: I had to cut the flange of one side of the CAT and then have a welder do a temporary fix so the I can drive it with out it rattling my floorboard to pieces.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5049

Overall I'm a very happy customer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:16 pm 

sweet that header looks damn nice, good info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 pm 

Thanks, I should have mentioned it sounds very nice as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:35 am 

kool ive really wanted to buy that header from them for a while now, im thinking as soon as i pay off my credit card i will pick up one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:45 am 
banned

well all the good reviews SuzukiRD is getting lately I decided to give em a shot.

Ordered my header / gasket from them a lil while ago. Can't wait to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:17 am 

the piping on this header looks bigger then the genie header does anyone know the actual diameter of the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:14 pm 
banned

i think its 1 7/8. but its not mandrel bent :evil:

I'm saving my judgement till I put it on my car....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 am 
King of Pompous

I had noticed the lack of mandrel bends as well. In reality the headder will still make more power than stock so you are going to get a gain. Now how much you may theoreticaly lose to the crimped bends will likely never be known. The Genie is 1.5" but it is mandrel bent :D.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:45 pm 

m wrote:
I had noticed the lack of mandrel bends as well. In reality the headder will still make more power than stock so you are going to get a gain. Now how much you may theoreticaly lose to the crimped bends will likely never be known. The Genie is 1.5" but it is mandrel bent :D.

The bends are pretty smooth in my header. I am just wondering what is diameter of the stock pipes compared to the suzukird. It looks like they are about same size............... anyone measured it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:22 pm 
King of Pompous

Ricardo wrote:
So I got the header. Sure looks nice, my first impression is very good. Couldn't wait to put it on. Decided to start...

Pros:
- looks great (though im not in for the looks)
- very smooth bends for a compression bend product
- sounds good
- good price
- suzukird answers emails quickly, good customer support

Cons:
- Had to remove a few of the mounts and supports because the header wouldnt fit
- The hole sizes and spacing dont bolt right up. Had to drill out bigger holes for the bolts
- It doesnt bolt right up to my exhaust (think it was in the same position as the stock one)..... the header seems a little big longer.......
- No pyramid shape when the tubes exit the header, they are just 4 tubes welded together and that cant be good, without the smooth exit surface it will most likely cause turbulence. Lack of the smooth pyramid where the tubes meet is a definite negative for performance as it worsens airflow.
- Nowhere near the 13hp advertised... more like 3hp, the 13hp must be psychological because of the sound. Will keep you updated once I test again on gtech at the same road.

Overall: If I could do it again I would go with the genie header.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:22 pm 
King of Pompous

Please keep the reviews for the same product in one thread. It makes it so much easier for everybody to find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:29 am 

m wrote:
Please keep the reviews for the same product in one thread. It makes it so much easier for everybody to find it.

Well, yea, but now that you have posted my review I cant edit it anymore. Also, I just bumped a review of the same product, maybe u should do the same thing with the other review too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:24 am 

Well continuing my review, the power increase is felt from about 4000 to 6500rpm (but not much). I guess you cant feel in the 7000 area with the stock cams... but I did not notice low end drop in performance as some have said it would because of the 4-1 design. Mine's also leaking, so I am assuming once I get this leak fixed it should be better so I will keep you guys updated.

Another thing I didnt like is that it blocks off the EGR hole thingy. Is there any harm from this? The leak seems to be from that area, but I will check again soon to see whats going on... might need a gasket change

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:35 am 
Certified (nuts)

Mayabin wrote:
Hi,

The only problem I'm having is that there is no room for the CAT. :?

Isnt that called the "Race Header" ???

This should explain why it has no room for the cat.

Cat and racing dont mix!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:25 pm 

Update: I did another g-tech on an uphill road and got 8.4s 0-60. My previous run was 8.44 on "flat" surface. I guess there was some power gain after all, but I will need to test at the same road for proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:14 am 
King of Pompous

DV wrote:
May 20/05

I apologize for my late review. I hope it still helps.

I purchased 2 racing header on November 2004. The whole transaction was smooth. They replied my email very promptly that it gave me a good impression. The header were sent from Florida to Alabama, however, i got it 3 weeks after my payment.

I was shock when i first looked at it. The header was pressure bend and chrome finish. I'd never seen a pressure bend racing header, never. The chrome covered the major surface but not at the tight corner like the corrector section. The welding job was bad at the joint of pipe and flange. They did polished the inlet to peel off the excessive welded material, somehow it made the diameter different. The outlet, a thin steel plate was made in corn shape and welded with 4 pipes. I compared both header i got, the bend angle and position was different, but the dimension was same. The pipe diameter was 1.5", not 1.75"

What i got was different from the picture shown in their web site (at that moment). The chrome finish header was called street header which costed $300. The racing header used to be a black, precisely made, non-chrome, like the rospen header and was $150. I called them to find the answer. They said it was the racing header they offered. There was no performance different between pressure bend and mantrel bend header after testing. How did they know? Well, they actually purchased a header from Europe, copied it then self-made (now we know why it take so long to ship it to me). They tested it, performance was same. I am still curious. My fren decided to keep it, then nothing i could do but i cancelled the order of oversized throttle body. After few days, they changed the picture in the web site.

Upon installation, i bored the inlet and polished the flange surface becoz it was rough. The a portion of flange at the right top corner got to be grinded off so it would fit.

Performance gain? Be frankly, yes. I can feel the performance gain comparing to stock header. My car is more powerful at the mid range, after 4000rpm. I think any header with larger pipe than stock header will give you some gain, definately. Then wat is the disavantage of pressure bend header? I can tell u now. The change in diameter creates a pressure different in the pipe, so the air flow is not uniform. Check this out then u will know.
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=14964
---> the lag between 3500~4000rpm. Both car, mine and my fren got same problem after installed it. PROVEN in the drag track.

Back to topic, home-make header for $150. Well, depend on the quality, labor and material, it is a deal. U have to pay $200 bucks more to get Genie header. For low budget consumer, this maybe a bargain. However, i can make a header by myself, which costs less than $150, mantrel bend. In suzukird.com, we can see the PRICE. Not many stuffs u can get from them. the tie rod end is cheaper than autozone; ball joint is dang cheap but no way u can get it out from control arm(welded); the clutch is from ACT that u can get much better deal from somewhere else; performance chip for $149 !!?? Well, be smart when u spend ur money. Check the special offer section, i will post my findings, hope that's wat u need.

Ricardo wrote:
so the pipe diameter is 1.5 and not 1.75, same as stock size then? If so, how can you say that anything with larger pipes will be better than stock when the size is the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm 

yes i read that but I am curious about stock piping diameter not the suzukird, i know it is 1.5" for the suzukird one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 pm 
King of Pompous

LOL that was a merged post and not really an answer to your question ;). I have a Swift manifold in the garage. Best I can do is give you the OD of the tubes. Won't be able to until tomorrow though. BTW...i'll be deleting all the non-related posts in here (like this one after I measure) so don't anybody take it personaly if a post or two go missing :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:32 pm 

Ricardo Wrote:
Quote:
Another thing I didnt like is that it blocks off the EGR hole thingy. Is there any harm from this? The leak seems to be from that area, but I will check again soon to see whats going on... might need a gasket change

Did anybody find out if blocking the EGR passage with that header will cause any future damage to the engine. I don't want to burn valves or anything from not having a fully functioning EGR system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:43 pm 

Don't worry, I frequently do about 140 or so with my 3 speed auto Firefly with these headers (Check Engine Light on, just like yours!!), for over a year now, absolutely beautiful!! No burned valves, and have put over 65,000 kms since then. I love SuzukiRD and trust their opinions and quality. I am so very happy with my headers, I did not ever think that much performance could be extracted from that little 1.3L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:45 pm 

Sorry I should qualify that by saying 140 KM/h! However on one occaision while racing my cousin in his stupid Focus, I have swung the needle all the way around to the back of black pin that rests the needle at 0 km/h!!! That was freaking incredible, considering that before I got my 2 inch exhaust and headers, it struggled to do 130 km/h, now it screams to 150 like its a joke!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:20 pm 

i received my header yesterday but didnt come with anything, gaskets or the o2 sensor which i checked off when ordering, did you receive an o2 sensor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:25 pm 

Well I received the headers with the port to stick the 02 sensor into. You have to get the gasket seperately, but you can buy that from NAPA or just about anywhere else. Its the stock gasket, no different. But at no point on the site, does it say that it comes with an o2 sensor though, just the port to put the sensor into. Just use the stock one (use a pair of large vice grips and a hammer to get it off, but DO NOT hit it hard as you will smash the ceramic internals to pieces. You may notice that your check engine light will come on afterwards too. Don't worry, this is normal for a high performance application, and it does no harm to your engine. The header blocks the passage to your EGR valve, but this is necessary to avoid the power loss associated with EGR functionality. Oh and don't worry about emissions tests either, I was scared at first, but my car passed the Ontario emissions test easily, it was as cleaner than it was with the old manifold on too! As I said before, I have had mine for about 2 years now (with over 70,000kms since installed!), without a single problem, and its a rocket sled on the highway!!! Mid range power is enormous, and top end is fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:13 am 

I've also had this header on for 2 months now, and have noticed big gains in the higher rpm area, its more easily revved however it takes time for the clutch to catch up! i got some ricey 17s which really have to go! my set up with the header is 4-1 into 2" bore exhaust straight pipe all the way up to my muffler, its too loud!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:03 pm 

I purchsed this and installed it on my 95 Swift just recently. The transaction couldn't have gone better and Andy is great to deal with. Upon installation, it wouldn't quite fit at first but I made the holes slightly elongated and groud off about an 1/8th of an inch on the bottom of the flange on the number 4 port and it went right on. Though it fit with the radiator in the stock location I moved mine over about a 1/4" towards the left side of the car for added clearance. I have A/C on my car. The performance increase was immediately apparent in the upper RPM range. I added a custom exhaust system at the same time so some of the performance increase has to be attributed to that. All in all, I can't imagine a better 200 dollars spent. Just get this header and call it a day.