TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:48 pm 

filled my front struts with fork oil (20W) and now they are extremely stiff. i have to compress them and pull them out with both hands. they do not rebound on their own, is this normal? i have reinstalled them with intrax lowering springs, however have not had a chance to try them out, as i am still doing the rears. anyone who has done this modification did you experience the same thing? do they just need to break in a little? <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:43 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

i think they're supposed to be that stiff .. i put 30w in my spare rears & was a little panic'd about the stiffness on the rebound, didn't notice much change on the compression 'tho .. you measured & matched the amount of oil you removed to the oil you replaced ?<br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:18 am 

can you replace the seals of the struts if it starts to leak? <p>Lee, Singapore</p><i></i>

Post subject: ya
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:12 am 

ya i measured the oil, the fronts were just a tad over 200ml, i'm doing the rears today. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: ya
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:58 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

rears should be just about the same .. 200-210ml <br>what'd you choose to do to cap the holes you drilled ? any pictures ? <br>mine are still sitting in the garage needing to be capped & installed =)<br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: none
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:38 pm 

i drilled a small hole, then threaded it with a 10-24 and tapped with the equivalent machine screws. the screws were 1/2" so i cut them to a little less than 1/4". screwed them in tight and added some thread locker. i don't know if this is sufficient because i haven't driven on it yet...will let everyone know. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: none
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:21 am 
normal. the pressure of the springs rebounding the strut is alot harder than your hands can. think its time for me to do this mod too <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Does it work on KYB GR-2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:38 am 
Does this method applies to "Gas" shocks? I'm asking because my KYB Shocks had a warning advising against puncturing the strut due to high pressure ...... you got the idea, right?<br><br>Wilfredo <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:44 am 

no, this method does not apply to gas shocks! our stock suzuki shocks are reseviour style and the part where we are drilling is in the low pressure reseviour, your shocks do not have this and so it is all high pressure. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Where to drill?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:35 am 

Where is a good spot to drill the hole in the strut to fill with oil, and what is a good method to fill the strut with the fork oil, with some kind of syringe? <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: filling shocks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:47 am 

okay just to update everyone on what is happening with my setup. the fronts are all done, but i have not finished yet because i was having a lot of trouble taking out the rear shock bracket bolts. anyways, i finally got them out, drilled, filled and tapped them. the holes in these shocks have been welded this is far better than tapping with a screw. these things will never leak. i highly recommend tapping them this way.<br><br>okay to answer the above questions, if your holding the shock upright, you would drill the hole about 1 1/4" below the top of the shock, there is a picture of it somewhere in the suspension forum. secondly, yes filling is done best using a syringe.<br><br>i will let everyone know how it rides as soon as i get the chance to test it out. bye for now<br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Drilling shocks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 pm 
Did you do anything special to avoid getting metal filings in the oil reservoir like drilling upside down? I'm worried about getting filings in there that would wreck the seals.<br><br>Matt <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:58 pm 

i didn't do anything special i just kept blowing off the fillings as i was drilling. as for when penetration is made i don't think there is anything you can do...i may be wrong though. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: all done
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:07 pm 

okay everything is done!!! i gotta say i love the end result. just to recap on what was done, i put in intrax springs and filled struts with 20w fork oil. the car sits with about one finger gap all around and the ride is better than i expected, not very stiff at all and it handles great. i recommend this mod to everyone who's on a budget and wants a performance suspension. if anyone has any questions feel free. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: all done
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:05 am 
You welded the holes in the shocks? I was going to do this but I was worried about boiling the oil and blowing the seals. You had no problem with this? I've got 30W in mine and I don't like that there are bolts sealing the oil in. I had my front pass side leak. <p>---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Proud owner 2000 Metro poor mans special edition, 1984 Suzuki SJ410 poor mans rockcrawler (needs turbo 1L), 1992 Ford Aerostar Cargo van(The big white piggy, needs more dents and scars), 1964 POS Baja VW (needs to be put back together). http://community.webshots.com/user/uglyzukling</p><i></i>

Post subject: welds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:41 am 

my brother brought the shocks to work so i was not there when they did the welds, but when i got them back everything was fine, seals were still good and it worked perfectly. <p></p><i></i>