TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:06 pm 

Can someone tell me why the mk1's are so much more fuel efficient than the later generations? Is it just the weight of the car? Or is the engine of the mk1 more frugal? I would think that the later versions would have more efficient engines, being fuel injected and all. Has anyone put a later generation 1L engine into an mk1? Did you notice any change in economy? What do the later versions weigh, anyway? On a whim last night on my way home from work, I pulled into my local co-op and onto their scales. With my 200(+) :oops: lbs. and a full tank and without taking anything out of the car, my '87 Sprint tipped the scales at 1780. So the car probably only weighs around 1500 or so empty. Back when the speed limit was 55 I had a new '85 Sprint and on a trip to Co. and back at 55mph, I got 62mpg! Now that the speed limit is higher, I haven't driven my 87 that far at 55, but it would probably do the same. On my 52 mile round trip commute with 6 stop signs and 5 stop lights I get an average of mid 50's per tank. But with gas kissing $4 a gallon, I'd like to improve on that a bit. I don't hyper inflate my tires and being in Ks. I don't coast down the hills (there ain't none). :lol: I was wondering if, when my little 3 popper quits, would I be better off putting a fuel injected motor in, and what all would be required to do the change (wiring, computer, etc)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:46 pm 

The older ones were a lot lighter and that helps. A properly tuned MK4/MK5 can also get over 50 MPG easily.

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 am 

JohnnyMullet wrote:
The older ones were a lot lighter and that helps. A properly tuned MK4/MK5 can also get over 50 MPG easily.

So, if a properly tuned mk4/mk5 can get over 50, what if that engine were put in a light mk1? How difficult would that be to do, I wonder?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 pm 

It would be a pretty easy swap. The MK2 and later engines actually take up slightly less space. I think the 'toughest' thing to do would be to get an EFI style pump into the MK1 fuel tank if possible. (Turbo Sprint tank?) The MK1's had a mechanical pump on the engine. Still, really not hard. For low speed, around town stuff it would be good. For highway stuff you might be just as happy with the slightly better aerodynamics of the later models.
I'm going to try to put a Metro TBI onto one of my MK1 Sprints to see if that will improve things much. I'm hoping for better mileage, a little more power, and fewer PROBLEMS.... those stinking tiny carbs always have SOMETHING wrong. When they work, they're golden.... but there is always something....

BUT IT'S GOT A HEMI!!
XD