TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: USA Tint Laws
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:45 pm 

Can this be made a sticky??

Attachments:
index.pdf [168.94 KIB]
Downloaded 447 times

Post subject: Re: USA Tint Laws
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm 

Surprising variety. This could be a problem for the new owner of an out of state car. Cops get nervous when a car is darker than usual. Beware the six-shooter!
Can this be a sticky?

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 am 

I wonder if that's been changed at all. The place I went to did 25 in the back and rear sides of my metro and 35 in the front windows. I tried to get him to do 25 on the front too but he wouldn't do it. Made me mad. I can see fine out of the back and I want my fronts darker. GRRR!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am 
King of Pompous

This is from 2004. Has any of this changed since 911?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:38 am 

Maybe has. I would think so for sercurety perpuse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:21 pm 

it has changed. those #'s are 9 years old.

03' toyota tundra
06' crf450

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:26 pm 

can someone post a canadian version ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:50 pm 

How about this site?

http://www.tintlaws.com/

And for Canada...

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/consumer_info/ ... elaws.html

2003 was the newest I could find.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 pm 

fack the laws, i'm doin light tint in my front windows. :ez_pimp:

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:35 pm 

lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:08 pm 

Allright, I finally have my side-windows installed. Got max tint in rears and least tint in fronts. When car is road worthy I'm bringing it back to get the rear window done 2 max.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 am 
Sad but True...

I Had 5% on ALL of My Windows on My 1996 Metro,and 5% on EVERY Window(Including the windshield,that went down at least 70% down the windshield) on my 1990 Metro. In my 1996,I got pulled over and I argued with the cop,1. for the Tint,2. for the "MMATS"decal on my back window,3. for my license plate covers(Smoke Colored).I was in the process of switching Subwoofer walls(I had part of a wall in there and he said It(The MMATS decal and the 1/2 built wall) was impeading MY view,,,WTF???? As long as I have a Pass. Mirror I was fine,That my dear is the law,I made sure is that). He was visibally shaken up,(his face was turning red) that I KNEW what I was talking about. He dropped all but the tint,I asked him "It is ok for YOUR K-9 Units to have 5% on ALL your windows,SOME of you patrol cars,AND your Undercover vehicles,none the less some of YOUR own personal vehicles??" (My Neibohr (sp?) was a cop with VERY DARK tint. "Your saftey??What about MY saftey from crooked a$$ Trigger Happy rookie cops like you! etc. You guys have decals on YOUR vehicle windows which is impeading YOUR view,etc."I look back and I am surprised I wasnt arrested. A few years ago I found out some "Info" about how hypocritical cops are here(While working on "their"vehicles),and I was RIGHT!

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 am 

This was in the California newspaper today:

Q. Bill Hutton, of Riverside, wants to know if there are laws on the books prohibiting dark window tinting on vehicles. He said that he has observed that if there is such a law, it is apparently not being strictly enforced in the area. He also pointed out that people with dark window tinting might be more likely to get away with violating laws prohibiting drivers from talking on cell phones without using a hands-free device. "With the deep tint, the cell phone scofflaws might get away with it!" he wrote.

A. According to information provided by the California Highway Patrol, the windshield and front driver's side and passenger side windows cannot receive any aftermarket window tinting.

The rear window of a vehicle can be tinted, but in cases where tinting is installed, outside rearview mirrors must be affixed on both sides of the vehicle.

A law that went into effect in January 1999 does allow certain "clear, colorless and transparent material" that is on the front driver and passenger side windows for the purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If the material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise visibly worn, it must be removed or replaced immediately, according to the law.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:15 pm 

I live in michigan, here it says no windshield nor driver or passenger window tint, back windows and rear window can be of any rating. i have 0% on back windows and rear window, 2.5% on driver and passenger. and 70% on windshield, you cant see in that car at all, i get yanked a lil bit for it, but i got a few friend cops who just sign the tickets off for me. drivin at night is fun though. haha threw in some ultrawhite headlights and im good to go. my beast is a vert though, so if i really need to see when im backin up, i just drop the top.

- 84 K5 Blazer, 12 inches of lift on SS 44's
- DD: 99 F150 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab, Longbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:11 am 

alberta, canada: no tinting of any sort on the driver or pass window. Its the law here. I must add that i did get a chance to ask why and actually got a semi-reasonable answer. I was doing out of province inspections and it was becoming a real sticking point as we were forced to insturct customers to remove it, when we personally could care less about it.
In any case the explanation given to me was that in the event of a rollover/accident tempered glass is meant to shatter completely and then fall away. Window tint will hold it in place, increasing chance of injury. If you buy it or not, i had to give him props for at least coming up with something of an argument that held some logic.
My mustang windows are tinted(it has been pretty stable so far...if i roll it'll be my last concern! lol!!!). But it did cost me $115 last year, after 8 years they tagged me. I will likely peel it if i get nailed this year.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 am 

yeah, the cop i asked said that if he stops me, he wants to be able to see in my window so he knows whats going on, doesnt want a gun in his face when i roll down my window. of course, i live in the middle of BFE in michigan, noones got the guts to be packing around here, so its probably not a big deal lol

- 84 K5 Blazer, 12 inches of lift on SS 44's
- DD: 99 F150 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab, Longbox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

codyb76 wrote:
...In any case the explanation given to me was that in the event of a rollover/accident tempered glass is meant to shatter completely and then fall away. Window tint will hold it in place, increasing chance of injury. If you buy it or not, i had to give him props for at least coming up with something of an argument that held some logic...

I don't really buy it. Many newer vehicles are being equipped with laminated glass for the side windows (which has the same construction and strength as a windshield). Stronger windows would reduce the chance of people's limbs ending up outside the vehicle in a rollover (the same reason racecars have window nets), as well as injury from broken glass. I also imagine that many of the side curtain airbag systems also depend on having a strong window structure to perform well.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:27 pm 

mattdodd1988sprint wrote:
How about this site?

http://www.tintlaws.com/

And for Canada...

2003 was the newest I could find.

Site's dead. http://windowtintlaws.org/ is a working link.