TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 am 

Two door Image
or four Image
sometimes it's about blending in.
Our cars can be left in the parking lot of a National Forest for a week or two, and when we return from backpacking, they have been overlooked and ignored. No one has broken in, and nothing has been disturbed.
Yes, there's some dust, but that's about it.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:48 pm 

98 swift, 1.3 big block ;), 5 speed

Why do I love it?

This is by far the simplest mode of transportation I have ever worked on. I have worked on my 96 Impala SS and changed the motor and trans and brakes, and suspension, and steering..etc, but this swift, just by looking at how the parts go together I can figure out what to do to fix/replace parts. also the fuel economy is a major factor and the reason I picked the car when looking for a used car for my 80 km daily commute.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:49 am 

Why I love my Suzuki Swift (in no particular order):

The attention to detail that went into the basic design, it has what it needs, nothing more, nothing less.
The level of technology is the same you would find in a Porsche of the same year, forged engine internals, a finely crafted suspension, all wheel disc breaks with semi-metallic pads. The list goes on.
It drives like a go-cart at about the same costs, performance on a budget!
It is always a kick to catch a "sports car" with their pants down at a light, then watch them scramble to catch up!
14 inch tires are easy on the wallet compared to 17s on my SRT4.
Sensible and economical rarely go hand in hand with a 7500 rpm redline and high G turns.
Relaxing to drive, my SRT4 tends to be overly sensitive on the steering and brutal in power delivery. My Lincoln handles like a water bed on caster wheels and gets 8 mpg.
Natural good looks, a decent tint job and fresh wax enhance the 2 door hatch body style to the point where you dont need a body kit or airplane wing on the back. Unless you really crave attention, even then, its all positive vibes.
You have the ability to laugh at the green weenies who are proud of their 30-35 mpg hybrids, then out perform them in all categories of handling, acceleration and economy. And you can do it for about $30,000 less then they did.
You can, with confidence, follow your buddies 4wd off road, over the river, thru the woods and still beat him to grandma's house.
You can actually work on it in the back yard, the engine compartment is not cluttered with useless, breakable things like power steering and air conditioning. Unlike my SRT4 (less then 1in clearance between firewall and front of engine), you don't need 2 trained monkeys and a engine hoist to change the accessory belt.

1989 Suzuki Swift GT, needs TLC still
2004 Dodge Neon SRT4, Daily Driver
1977 Lincoln TownCar 4dr, for hauling bodies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:47 am 

I love my firefly because:
it is cheap on gas
handling is fun
Powerband is well suited for city driving and you can enjoy the redline without being twice over the speed limit in 5 seconds.
I don't mind braking it as it's a piece of crap
It's my first car
I can achieve top speed without loosing my license
Front seats are confortable and fairly low, you don't have that minivan feeling you get in some small cars or even newer civic (not small though)
Tranny shifts perfect, abuse and heel and toe all the time, clutch is hard like in sports cars, but not too long course so you can clutch quick and without getting you foot tired by city driving, as it is the case with camry or mr2, long + hard, or unpleasant like soft yaris and accent 2006+

Unfortunately it isn't in good shape; need plug wires, probably a front left cv joint, if not anymore, new winter tires, exhaust fixed better, rears brake shoes, engine tune up, soon the timing belt, some piston slap too I think, there was a vaccum leak ut it stopped, rust is getting bad at some spts, wheels are jammed in rust (so I don't even consider doin rear brakes), so I'll get rid of it, if anyones need parts :mrgreen:
It has only 180 000km, bought it at 140k 1.5 year ago, most of the mileage I put on it was pizza delivery with 30 starts and stops a day.

It's sad to get rid of it, I would like to keep it, wether to fix the littles things, using it as a part car for my next swift or even parting it slowly, but I don'T have rom, so i'll sell it for cheap, I have a civic wagn 4wd for winter (just bought) and an mr2 turb for summer. Well, the 4wd will be better in snow (and still, not so much I think) but certainly not as fun to drive and I will care more beating a 23 years old car than a 10 years old car with plenty of piece in junkyards. And the mr2 is a great track car, but on street, is sucks gas, not really comfortable (too stiff), fear to snap oversteer it if I push too much, not the go kart feel, the geo would be nicer at auto-x. But still, its a nice car too, just not as fun imo, and people see you in a different way when you drive a nice mr2, I'd prefer not to have the ricers to talk to me and just the auto-x guys wh could recognize it's a nice car and beat these skylines, mr2, rx7 (bunch of jdm in Canada).I would like to scrap the car with offroad too, but I don'T have time for before winter and the irsk of being stuck + tow...

Also, I noticed that people are real cowards, in my mr2 turbo I almost never get raced, even by civic, or powerfull mustang (they must have learned their big v8 sucks at the end), but when I drive the firefly (I floor it often) many people with ordinary cars (many mazda 3, or minivans) race me, funny but no glory for them...
Especially before I got my exhaust fixed, they most have though they were some mods to have sound liek that (pipe boken before the silencer).
Over this, as mine is rusted, it isn't fun to work on, even if my mr2 is rear engine and well loaded, it is still better, everything is clean, no rust, good how to on internet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 pm 

The Reason I love my Swift Gti is because 226hp pushing 600kg can really get moving. Its such a nicely painted car and really makes people look and go "wow thats nice for a rice burner". It is my 4th Gti, My friends bagged out my last cars until this one started to eat there V8's :D

I thinks thats a great reason to love your car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm 

I love my 96 Geo Metro because:

I bought it when gas prices were nearing $5 per gallon.

I took 100 lbs out of it for better mpgs and I use it as a delivery vehicle. Normally 50-57 mpg on the highway at 55 mph...still in the high 40s at 65-70.

It runs VERY consistant 19.9s in the 1/4 mile and I made $250 at my first all Import Drag Race last year....only 2 rounds away from $1000.

Easy to park anywhere.

Uses 1/2 qt of full synthetic oil every 5000 miles.

I only use 3 qts of oil per change.

I can carry 4 275x40x17s on 10.5 inch rims and 4 more 245x45x17s on 9 inch rims at one time when I make deliveries.

The tranny shifts MUCH easier and better than the 2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 that I drag race and the car is much easier to launch!!!!

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:50 am 

Hi,
Why I love my Swift Vxi
The car zooms ahead of everything and feels quite smooth to drive.It doesn't lose much power with the A/c on or with more people on board.The brakes are good and responsive.The steering feels light as a feather.And still now no problems with this.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 pm 

My metro earned my love with a few things. First, I traded parts for it, only initial buy in cost was the 25 and change it cost to transfer the title (and about 20 bucks in gas getting my daily driver at the time up there to get it and back). Since then I've put right around $100 into it for some speakers and general upkeep. Only things I've done to it out of the ordinary are to make it more suited to backroad rally antics with some mud flaps, adding a light bar to either the front bumper or roof soon, high beams and my current driving lights don't quite get it done in the dirt at high speeds.

All that pales in comparison to the fact that on any given weekend I have trucks pulling over to let me by in the woods because they're afraid to get after it on a gravel road.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 am 

I love my Swift as it only cost me $1000!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 pm 

- a cheap vehicle to buy, a cheap vehicle to maintain
blow one up, buy another for a few hundred, parts are cheap too

- gas mileage

- I don't worry about dents, scratches, dings

- better clutch feel than my civic

- doing u-turns in small
spaces, parallel parking in spots bigger cars have to give up, pushing it to get started

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 pm 

1 :GAS WITH 3 BUCK I CAN GO QUITE FAR IN MY 3 CIL
2: JUST AGOOD CAR 2 GO FISHING
OVER ALL MY CAR WAS MY FATHERS AND I INHERETID IT (CORRECT SPELLING)
I FIXED THE MAYOR PROBLEMS AND IM GOING TO PIMP IT UP
JUST IS A FUN CAR TO DRIVE MY SUZUKI SWIFT 93 3CIL
WHY THEY DONT MAKE EM ANY MORE ????? IS IT THE GAS OR JUST BAD PROMO
I WISH THEY MADE A NEW ONE 3 CIL COOLL BODY KITS AND AL
SUZUKI SWIFT IS THE BEST CAR EVER THATS WHY THEY DONT MAKE EM ANY MORE!!!!!! :alien: :alien: =) =) =) :razz: :razz: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :blackeye:
PS IS A GOOD CAR 2 GET DRUNK IN IT ALMOST DRIVES IT SELF LOLOLOLImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:11 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Two door Image
or four Image
sometimes it's about blending in.
Our cars can be left in the parking lot of a National Forest for a week or two, and when we return from backpacking, they have been overlooked and ignored. No one has broken in, and nothing has been disturbed.
Yes, there's some dust, but that's about it.

RIGHT ON Phil
Love the Palm Springs area. Where else can you put out a few brick and call it landscaping :razz:
I have left my Metro parked next to other more expensive cars while I go hiking too I come back and my car is safe every time. :)
I love taking my Metro on Forest Service Roads in the High Country. As long as I stay away from the deep ruts and high boulders it does remarkably well off road.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:26 pm 

Love my Metro (even though it is giving me fits right now)
My first one, I bought for my wife, a 1991 Geo. That car ran great for many years. Back in 1995 We even packed it up and drove from California to British Columbia with the wife and kids and all our camping stuff. Got over 55 MPG at times on that trip. Not bad for a car fully loaded with 4 people and all our gear.
I gave that car to my son after he moved out of the house. He ran it into the ground and had it hauled off for junk. He knew I was disappointed that he junked it, I would have gladly rebuilt it and kept it forever and later he bought me a used 1998, which I still have now. Funny how that works, Father give a car to his son, later son gives the car to Dad. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 pm 

I love my Suzuki (Alto Works) because it is rare, and a blast to drive.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm 

97 GTi.....................Full tank last me a month.........Fell in love instantly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 pm 

Figured this was a good place for a first post--just purchased a 1994 Swift Gt.

Since learning to drive in a Metro Xfi, I have always wanted a Swift Gt and have been joking with friends that this is my "mid life crisis" sports car. The Geo I learned on was a blast to drive in the hills of Eastern Kentucky growing up, and knowing that Suzuki made the same care with twice the horsepower was a fascinating concept. Driving the Gt now reminds of the best small displacement motorcycles I have ridden. Maybe it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's astonishingly quick for being so small--the drama is as much fun as the ride.

Generic tires on stock rims also have unusual property of remaining dead silent no matter what is being done to them. Bonus!--drift around the round about anyone?

There is an old adage in the world of sports cars: "There is no substitute for cubic inches".

Bullsh!t. There is truly no substitute for lack of mass.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm 

I cant really say that I love my car. In my opinion, I think it is just too cheap. I have gone through many breakdowns and the thing is driving me nuts. Maybe I got a lemon I don't know, but I would definitely not say it is reliable. It is good on fuel, but that does not make up for all the cost of repairs and down time I have had. It has gotten me around quite a bit, but the vehicle is now just falling apart. When I first got it, I liked the car. I was going to fix it up but before I had a chance to, I wound up spending all that money on repairs. The worst of it is, that I am an ASE certified Master Auto Tech and have done all the repairs myself. I have had a whole host of problems with the engine including fuel in the crankcase which is really dangerous. I just figure that it was never meant to last anyway being that it is a 92 year model, yet only has a 5 digit odometer, so 100,000 miles puts the odometer beyond its mechanical limit. Sure, I have had the odometer go around a few times. The car has about 340,000 miles on it now but regardless of two engine rebuilds and two transmission overhauls, the thing is pretty much done.
I drive a lot of miles. Probably over 120K per year. but given the repairs it has seen, it should be a strong runner but it is the furthest thing from that. Essentially, I think everyone would agree that these are not high quality vehicles, but they do get good gas mileage.
I just thought I would enter this post so that your forum would not be so surreal as to say that every swift is a great car, because that is not true about any car. SO, my post just puts some reality into perspective. The swift is not invincible by any means and although I have nurtured one to go 340K, there was much involved in doing so, much more than other vehicles I have gone this distance. It is an inexpensive car though so you kind of get what you pay for I guess.

I wish everyone the best of luck with theirs, hopefully a lot more luck than I have had with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 pm 

JellyBeanDriver has somewhere around 340,000 miles on his, and he still hasn't had to rebuild the engine or overhaul the tranny.

I have somewhere around $5000 into this '94, and it's ugly as sin, has braces holding it together, and I finally just got it running right. I blew apart the first engine build... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 am 

lagunapete wrote:
I cant really say that I love my car. In my opinion, I think it is just too cheap. I have gone through many breakdowns and the thing is driving me nuts. Maybe I got a lemon I don't know, but I would definitely not say it is reliable. It is good on fuel, but that does not make up for all the cost of repairs and down time I have had. It has gotten me around quite a bit, but the vehicle is now just falling apart. When I first got it, I liked the car. I was going to fix it up but before I had a chance to, I wound up spending all that money on repairs. The worst of it is, that I am an ASE certified Master Auto Tech and have done all the repairs myself. I have had a whole host of problems with the engine including fuel in the crankcase which is really dangerous. I just figure that it was never meant to last anyway being that it is a 92 year model, yet only has a 5 digit odometer, so 100,000 miles puts the odometer beyond its mechanical limit. Sure, I have had the odometer go around a few times. The car has about 340,000 miles on it now but regardless of two engine rebuilds and two transmission overhauls, the thing is pretty much done.
I drive a lot of miles. Probably over 120K per year. but given the repairs it has seen, it should be a strong runner but it is the furthest thing from that. Essentially, I think everyone would agree that these are not high quality vehicles, but they do get good gas mileage.
I just thought I would enter this post so that your forum would not be so surreal as to say that every swift is a great car, because that is not true about any car. SO, my post just puts some reality into perspective. The swift is not invincible by any means and although I have nurtured one to go 340K, there was much involved in doing so, much more than other vehicles I have gone this distance. It is an inexpensive car though so you kind of get what you pay for I guess.

I wish everyone the best of luck with theirs, hopefully a lot more luck than I have had with mine.

You're expecting us to believe this post?
No 'ASE certified master tech' could ever afford to live in Laguna Beach, but keep dreaming.
(maybe in the parking lot of Ralph's grocery store)
Nice try, though.

(Next time you take a drive down Laguna Beach way, take a drive up Diamond.
Wave when you go by!

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:46 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
You're expecting us to believe this post?

I can believe it. With 370,000 miles on my '88 Sprint Metro, I can say that I started to notice at ~300,000 miles that parts which had thus far lasted since the car was new started failing. Alternator, A/C compressor, a wheel bearing (yes, just 1)... others.

I can certainly see where someone might get a bad impression.

This is where it becomes very important to insist upon quality replacement parts. i.e. don't do Auto Zone. Do NAPA if possible. Their NAPA branded lines of parts are supposed to adhere to the OEM quality control specs, which for these cars were quite good. Prices are a bit higher, which should be no problem since you are getting quality. More serious (in my mind) is the typical "we don't have it in stock but we can get it for you in a week to 10 days" aspect of shopping at NAPA. Or more and more commonly for NAPA and these Suzuki derivatives "We don't even list it. It's been discontinued. Sorry, guy! Have you tried the salvage yard?".

Next on my list is O'Reilley Auto. Up to now, my impression has been that the quality level is pretty good. Except... that I replaced an alternator (the original had lasted 360,000 miles) last December. Replaced it again yesterday. Bad rear bearing after only 10,000 miles (WTF?). O'reilley cheerfully warranted it. Even had it in stock locally, which was nice. But that's not the point. To keep these little "Toyotas In Disguise" running trouble-free at high mileages, you need quality parts that you know you can trust.

They have to be available. And you have to know where to find them. I intend to keep my Sprint for many more years.

-Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 am 

If the Swift GT did not already have a reputation for being a fast lil bugger, it would probably be one of the most unassuming cars ever....and for that I luv eet!

And I love my Jimny because it truly stands up to its catch phrase...."Suzuki Jimny.....half the size, twice the guts!"

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

lagunapete wrote:
...Essentially, I think everyone would agree that these are not high quality vehicles, but they do get good gas mileage.

I would say these cars are quite durable considering how many of them have been daily driven and rat bagged continuously for the last 20 years. I'm still amazed to see Sprints and Metros on the streets on a regular basis.

I've had a history of destroying GTi trannies about one every year that I've had one. That's what happens when you beat on broken parts.

I now have a '92 that I'm putting back together from the negligence of the last couple owners. One of the issues that came up was weatherproofing, which for many vehicles of this age has already started to degrade, resulting in structural rust and water entry issues. A little bit of work in the right places is all that's needed to turn many of these vehicles around. I do agree that more could have been done at the factory to make these cars durable. What's done is done. These cars are now in our hands, and we can certainly pickup where Suzuki left off.

Trying to daily drive a project car just doesn't work. Leave it in the garage until it's done. Spend the money on good parts. You get what you pay for. If possible, try to fix things better so they don't resurface as a future problem.

I like these cars because they provide an affordable transportation to many, many people. Many times when I've done the math, I've found that driving a Suzuki is cheaper than taking the bus. The perceived worthlessness of these cars helps a lot with keeping costs down. I see little point in saddling myself with expensive monthly car payments only to end with a vehicle that does the same thing that Suzuki did 20 years ago. Even with the recent increases in used market pricing for our cars, you can still pay off many of these cars in fuel savings just in the first few months of ownership.

Lihtan

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:12 am 

sbergman27 wrote:
To keep these little "Toyotas In Disguise" running trouble-free at high mileages, you need quality parts that you know you can trust.
-Steve

Wow! You debase Suzuki by comparing it to a Toyota? Suzuki has a better reputation overall than Toyota. This is before the flap over the gas pedal.
Paul

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:53 am 

I love my Swift GTi, coz its like driving a bike in your house.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 pm 

First car was a Turbo, fell in love the moment I saw her. hood scoop, fog lights, skirts, wing! What's not to love. It never let me down, had the speed I needed, never afraid to pass another car, loved the surprised look of Civic or VW drivers. Sadly traded in in 95 for a Z24! :( Since then, I had a Grand AM GT, Celica GTS TRD, now I have a 2009 Prius, priorities changed, I'm a family man now, the wife wanted the Hybrid.

None of the above cars gave me that feeling of my turbo. Sure the Celica was fast, but I really didn't like the attention of other drivers or the law, and it really wasn't me. One occasion I was passed by a Suzuki GT! I just remember something approaching, than zip goes the swift! I was proud of the white GT, made me smile and instantly flashed me back to my turbo days!

One week from tonight, I hope to be driving a 90 Turbo Sprint. The wife can have her Prius. I can't wait to post some pics, the search has been long! Let the good times roll!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next