TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: POOR fuel economy?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:33 pm 

See, there's a LOT of experienced help available, once you start posting pictures.
You'll need more pictures of how the fan is wired/wiring which is not stock.

Ask the fellows who fixed up your exhaust recently how you can put an Oxygen sensor in.

You'll need some pictures of the intake manifold area so we can inspect the EGR set up.

Hope you are catching the 'fix my car' bug!

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 pm 

gamefoo21 wrote:
No, it looks like the sensor, just the idiot who owned the car before took a hammer and smashed off the connector, cheap and very stupid.

Check the wiring to the fan, it sounds like the numbnuts just wired it straight to the battery.

Yes you're right. I overlooked the hex nut still there! Lucky for him, he can back it out easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:43 pm 

Tony_SS wrote:
gamefoo21 wrote:
No, it looks like the sensor, just the idiot who owned the car before took a hammer and smashed off the connector, cheap and very stupid.

Check the wiring to the fan, it sounds like the numbnuts just wired it straight to the battery.

Yes you're right. I overlooked the hex nut still there! Lucky for him, he can back it out easily.

Wait does that mean the thermostat fan sensor is still there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 pm 

Lookup the part on Rock Auto, you'll see a picture, then look at your picture and you'll see what we're talking about. Someone broke off the part the wire switch plugs into.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 pm 

Oh WOW I just checked it out. I'll be ordering the sensor right away. I have no idea why someone would do that! So this is the order I'll be following....

1) Get the coolant temp sensor, connect the brown coupler.
2) Get an oxygen sensor bung and get it welded
3) Get oxygen sensor and connect
4) Install the speedo cable

This thread has been of TREMENDOUS help. I'm glad I fell in love with swifts/sprints the first time I saw them. These cars should be kept alive and kicking. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am 

New update: I have my hands on a "new" 87 sprint turbo. Now this car was a lot more well maintained, but I have decided to post under this same thread because I don't seem to be getting the fuel economy that I was expecting. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Recently did an oil change
2) Exhaust was redone with cat delete (straight pipe with glasspack resonator and stock muffler)
3) Brand new O2 sensor
4) A vacuum/boost gauge was installed (try to keep my vacuum readings up while driving in attempt to save on gas)

I try to lay off the boost, and noticed that on local I barely get 22 mpg (I know you were supposed to get lower fuel economy in local but this low?). I will need to double check on the tire pressure, but I doubt it would bring it down this much. Any help will be great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am 

Bump... The tire pressure seem to be fine for all tires. So I am a little clueless why I am getting bad fuel economy. What other factors can lead to this? As mentioned, I tried keeping off the boost and still got crappy mileage. Any help greatly appreciated, I know this car is capable of being really good on gas but its not doing that right now :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 am 

So a few months have gone by and I am still getting around 20 mpg. The car has a new battery, new alternator, new wires (about a couple of months old), relatively new spark plugs, recent oil change along with oil filter, new O2 sensor and a new cone air filter. I tried countless runs to drive with barely any boost for the entire tank, and the fuel economy is still not that much of a difference. I was reading somewhere about a stuck thermostat, and am going to change the pvc valve and fuel filter. I am still stunned as to why my fuel economy would be that low though. If anyone had similar problems and got it solved I'd sure like to hear it!

20mpg for an MK1 is sure embarrassing :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 am 

Check the MAP

Check the ECT

Also check your timing.

OH and make sure you have the right plugs, these engines are hella pissy about having the right kind of sparkers, and they really are partial to NGK or Denso, with NGK being preferred.

All of the above led me to have 20 mpg, now I'm trying to crack 36mpg and my 3 banger lacks a blower... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 pm 

gamefoo21 wrote:
Check the MAP

Check the ECT

Also check your timing.

OH and make sure you have the right plugs, these engines are hella pissy about having the right kind of sparkers, and they really are partial to NGK or Denso, with NGK being preferred.

All of the above led me to have 20 mpg, now I'm trying to crack 36mpg and my 3 banger lacks a blower... :lol:

MAP and ECT..I'll look into those sensors (I'm guessing its the sensors you are talking about). The plugs are NGK from as far as I recall, I will double check just to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am 

Yup, they be sensors.

I found out my O2 sensor had nibbled through it's sensor/ground lines about a cm from the plug. :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 am 

Oh wow. Yea I had my O2 sensor replaced not too long ago. I also just realized the Mk1 Sprints don't have MAP sensors lol (unless I am mistaken). The MAF sensor however, I know was mingled around with by the previous owner. Now I'll just need to read up on how to adjust the MAF sensor for this car.

I'll be replacing the PCV valve and looking at the ECT sensor within the next couple of days. I'm guessing the ECT sensor is good since it does not show any symptoms of it going bad? Like the RPM's are initially high when I first start the car but it drops as it gets warmer, and it does not take too long to warm up either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 pm 

Just thought I would post a little update. The car now has a new O2 sensor, relatively new plugs and wires, and I got an AFR gauge installed just recently. I had the notion that my bad fuel economy could have been due to it running rich (I would see black soot coming out from the exhaust pipe). However the readings on the gauge beg to differ (if anything it is slightly leaner that it should be which I will need to adjust).

My next question, besides still wondering what can cause the bad fuel economy, is what can cause black soot when the car is not running rich?