TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:39 pm 

do you have a sensor on the camshaft? you need a cam trigger to set it to COP. IIRC you can't put wasted spark with 3 cylinder set in engine constants. you need to cheat it by selecting 6 cylinder. this changes the firing order to 1-2-3 instead of 1-3-2

things are coming back to mind part by part

it's been a while since I played in tuner studio. I do hardware repairs from time to time for my brother-in-law's new business, but he usually does the tuning by himself. only for one particular car I had to go there and help him diagnose the car. turned out to be a hardware problem (installing used transistors is a bad idea :lol: ). I really wish I could help you more, my knowledge in megasquirt is kinda fading away because I'm not playing with them on a daily basis anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:03 am 
Suzuki Elder

math, so you select 6 cylinder, wasted spark in the engine table and swap the #2 and #3 spark plug wiring?

no, i don't have a cam angle sensor, no sequential injection.

if i select 6 cylinders, what do i do in the injection table? wouldn't that give me 6 squirts in 2 crank revolutions? what do i do for the req_d required fuel calculation?

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 am 

you cheat again. you have 6 injectors, simultaneous injection, and a 2000cc engine. that way you can keep the VE to normal numbers. MS won't know it's missing half of the engine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

got it. :wink:

2000cc, 6 cylinders, wasted spark, 6 injectors with the field indicating their actual flow value.

the megasquirt has a, c, and b trigger signals. i used the spare pads 1, 2, and 3 with spare wires added to the harness a = 1, c = 2, and b = 3. you say that i'll have to change the firing order from 1, 3, 2 for the 3 banger to 1, 2, 3 for the spoofed 6 cylinder configuration? a = 1, b = 2, and c = 3?

twisted! :twisted:

i'm off to find 2n2222a transistors.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm 
Suzuki Elder

transistor replacement didn't fix it. the processor is toasted.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it turned out that the processor wasn't toasted as much as it was scrambled. =)

i managed to unlock it by using the incorrect boot loader to try to flash it which reset all the digital switches on the daughter board. then when i used the correct boot loader to write the ms2extra code to the processor, it popped it and.......

i'm back in business! :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 pm 

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
it turned out that the processor wasn't toasted as much as it was scrambled. =)

i managed to unlock it by using the incorrect boot loader to try to flash it which reset all the digital switches on the daughter board. then when i used the correct boot loader to write the ms2extra code to the processor, it popped it and.......

we're in the same camp. nothing ever works the first time.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm 

turbohull wrote:
hold on a second... your MS is NOT broken, ok? it takes alot more dumbness to break a megasquirt. reversing the coil output can only fry coils or ignitors, not the controller itself.

:lol:

I'd like to see how you wired the coil outputs. can you get a close up pic of where you tapped in the LED circuits?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:37 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:

All this work and you put on a FRAM Filter? Seriously they are the Yugo of filters. WIX, Royal Purple, or even K&N.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm 

If you go back and read the thread, he's already answered your comment regarding Fram filters.
:shock:
Is this car still for sale?
:lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm 
Suzuki Elder

that orange filter was on there to keep crap out of the oil galleys. jeez! if you look at the later pics you'll see that the engine doesn't even have an oil filter on the block, it has an adapter, aeroquip fittings on braided stainless lines, an oil cooler, and a remote filter. the break-in filter is an stp brand and i'm using 10w30 penzoil oil for the first 500 miles or so. after that i'll be using synthetic. i've also got straight water with a couple of drops of dish soap in the intercooler system and engine block until i have the engine run through a couple of thermal cycles in case i have to chase leaks.

close to being sold! :lol: not!

i've got a bazillion hours in this car. =)

i've had my share of trouble with the megasquirt. not really wiring issues but more like wrapping my head around understanding the relationships of the configuration. mathieu, turbohull, has been helping me one on one via pms to get my settings right.

i haven't posted much because the work i've gotten in has been a rehash of preparatory checks, wiring refinements, and the like. on saturday i hit the wrecking yards and picked up enough ignitors that i could hand select 3 that were closely matched. it doesn't matter when you just use one, but when there are 3 you want each cylinder to have the same level of spark for balance. i re-worked the ignition system and wiring to clean things up. the engine really wanted to run and it will just be a matter of getting things right. i could smell the fuel (old, from last fall) and i pumped enough through the engine to change the afr gauge reading. also, the flood clear mode works really well.

the engine really wanted to run and it will just be a matter of getting things right. i could smell the fuel (old, from last fall) and i pumped enough through the engine to change the afr gauge reading. also, the flood clear mode works really well.

wagon was over on sunday after i toasted a brand new starter from cranking the piss out of the engine on saturday trying to get the variable reluctance sensor pots on the controller dialed in. wagon worked from the top while i was under the car getting the big ass high torque starter threaded through all the hoses and wires from the bottom. i also made a ground strap out of three 8 gauges cables that connects the battery negative terminal to the transmission casing. i dumped a gallon of fresh 87 octane fuel in the tank, my lawnmower gas, and made a trip for a gallon of 92 octane fuel to sweeten up the swill. we finished up the day with more cranking followed by a 5 hour low current re-charging of the battery.

i wiped the supervisory computer of the tuner studio application, log files, and msq files and started over with fresh installs, processor flash, and re-entered the tuning settings from scratch for the 6 cylinder spoof to run the ignition in wasted spark after turbohull reminded me that i'm not running a cam angle sensor to facilitate sequential ignition. i had mixed my engineering notes and while i had the ignition channel outputs sequenced for the 6 cylinder wasted spark spoof, i had the ignition settings set for 3 cylinders.

i'm also on the learning curve for the new video thing. i'll shoot some video of the engine running soon.

onward and back around.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm 

I guess I never saw what the final filter was.

Still waiting for a video of it running!!!! (just poking at you)

Your project is awesome, and you might have more money in it than my twin 454/505hp/600 ft lbs, motors for my boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 pm 

if you check out one of those 'flip video' recorders, even a cave man can do it.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i picked up a sylvania digital video recorder about the size of a bigger cell phone for $18.99 shipped. i asked lizzy to pick up a 16gb sd memory card and she caught a sale on a sandisk for $19.99. it works pretty well.

a guy i work with who buys a lot of gadgets and gizmos sold me another digital video recorder that you strap onto your head or helmet for $20. it's not as easy to use because it doesn't have a monitor screen. it does have a laser led on it that adjusts the focus and puts a red dot right where it's pointed. i figure that i'll use that as a dash cam if i ever get to drive my car. :-P

i've re-worked my re-work and i'm just having a devil of a time getting the megasquirt to cooperate fully. i've made some progress but dialing in the trigger wheel and vr sensor to get a steady spark at the correct time has been tripping me up.

turbohull (mathieu) has been helping me as he can. since he has had a 3 banger running and is technically capable i'm very appreciative of his support.

phil tells me i need to post details to help other people understand the process but i've been banging away at this nearly every spare minute i have had for weeks. i swapped my slot adjustable trigger wheel for a fixed mount wheel, the same unit only with 4 fixed holes instead of milled concentric slots. i've adjusted the gap to about a millimeter, hand selected ignitors based on resistance measured in 6 directions, re-checked all my wiring several times, re-wired my megasquirt a couple times, puttered around generating log files, checked things out with my little handheld o'scope, and other stuff. i get at least a couple of hours on the car each evening and another couple of hours after it gets dark reading manuals and megasquirt forum posts.

maybe i'll have a breakthrough this weekend. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:26 pm 

:ez_eek: :cheers: :cheers: :yeahyeah :yeahyeah :worship:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 pm 

ITS ALLIIVEEE! :mrgreen:

One step closer to the payoff. All your hard work is paying off and I know its soothing.

Chris

Down to one car and no suzuki's :(. Maybe I will get a gixxor :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

who had august 21, 2011 in the pool? :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:05 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 pm 

Congrats!!

I picked these up for cheap. Video is surprisingly decent.
I wanted a point of view camera that was almost hands free.
A little narrow on the POV though, I thought they might pick up the
gauges as well. Stealthy as all heck.

Attachment:
sunglasses.jpg [46.16 KIB]
Downloaded 668 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lVMIb24nNs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:21 pm 

what did you do? what was the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:42 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it seems like the vr pot adjustments gave me problems and i added about 200 degrees to the tooth angle and i don't know why.

i went back through the wiring this morning for the umpteenth time to verify the grounding. yesterday i had moved the vr sensor away from the trigger wheel, swapped the vr polarity (it was right the first time) and ran 30 tooth logger files while tweaking the vr pots. this morning i set the vr sensor back to where it was originally and get a pretty steady 8.8 volt ignition trigger level every 35 pulses

when i had it running several times today, i had 53 psi of oil pressure, 36 psi fuel pressure, and 14 inches of vacuum. i never got any boost pressure or even heard the turbo make a sound. the idle is low and the cam is lumpy. my alternator screeched even though the belt seems tight and it looks like i need a new one.

there's still lots of little kinks to work out but at least it will run. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:08 pm 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:30 pm 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:
it turned out that =)

i managed to unlock it by using the boot the daughter board. then when i used the correct boot it popped

Wait WHAT?
did I miss ?
Its running OH shit My pick was 8-21-2014 Shit i was only off by 3 yr.......
Congrat's
................................................................And were going to need to see those picture of your Daughter? and what kind of business are you in were you need to "boot" her.?

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next