TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

turbohull wrote:
that's great news! I knew the usb converter had something to do with it :P

now for the sync loss. you can log it and in the log there should be a sync loss reason, this can lead you to your problem.

I remember reading that putting the cam sensor at TDC is not recommended. since your pulley has 2 positions you could try it on the other position and see if the sync loss is still there.

math, what i had chased down about the cam angle sensor position was that there is a "forbidden" zone where you couldn't have the cam pulse occur within the area of the missing tooth on the crank trigger wheel. the corresponding positions between the cam pulse at +4 on the cam and tdc on the crank puts the missing tooth at +80, well out of the forbidden zone.

i think i have the lost sync problem figured out. there is a chopper circuit on the phototransistor that uses .01 and a .001 capacitors. there's some interaction in that circuit that applies filtering at that particular rpm. i'm stuck with the resistor value as it develops the voltage for the output to the processor but i've substituted .047 and .0047 caps and that moved the frequency/ rpm range of the filter above my redline at 7500 rpm.

i've had a lot of fun this summer with the car. i always have more fun doing the work than just driving a car. i have the megasquirt back out of the car and on the bench where i'll clean up some wiring and the prototypr area where i threw together the hall effect/ optoisolator circuit. i'm also fiddling with another set of parts for a variation on what i used on ol' blue to build the cam angle sensor mod. i think it'll be a little slicker, more industrial. :wink:

i peddled my big air compressor and got busy in the garage to get the project car out of the weather. after all the welding and chassis work, i'm not about to let it sit outside through the winter.

i still have enough room to get to my tools but precious little. the main thing i need to use is my drill press to mount another magnet in a cam gear and do some modification to a turbo valve cover to mount the position sensor. i can walk through one side from front to back and that's about it.

i also have a path to get to the back of the garage on the off chance that somebody wants to buy a part.

unofficially, the garage is closed for the season. at least i won't be out there with the cold wind blowing up my butt, trying to get the car put away. i'll pretty much put this thread to rest until the spring, too. i'll probably start another thread as i shift to my winter project, another turbo3 build and megasquirt project. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm 

DAMN.....I thought my garage was packed!!!!!!
the missis insists that there be a place to park her car out of the snow
the other side..... would be a close second to yours.
do you have to clean a space off of the workbench before you can work on some thing else :D
Really wanted to hear about a great 1/4 mile pass or ol' blue handing a honda it's lunch this summer
guess we'll have to wait till the snow melts :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:32 am 

Damn! I wish I hadn't found your thread. Now I have no excuse NOT to keep my Turbo and make it better. Was so hoping I could save enough for a used Elise and let go of the white stripey thing parked in the driveway......rats!!!! Beautiful job BTW and very well documented. You must be so proud.....I would. Thanks for this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm 

The Buell needs a run.
Care to stick a stamp on it and post it over to UNZUD for the winter????

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 pm 
Island Inbreeder

holy sh**t how many tool boxes does on man need .? is there a Niner in there ?
I'm showing this picture to the Finance committee and telling HER. I need more danm boxes!

Maybe "U" would should start a who's garage is muy macho.?

And it just keeps getting worst

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i really do miss the old days when i had a complete and separate hobby barn at my country home. i had roll around tool boxes set up so that i could roll one into the area where i had a project. that kept me from walking all the way across the barn for tools. it was nothing for me to have a car in the welding area, a car in the assembly/ paint prep area, one in the paint booth, colt acps disasembled on the bench, the chemical bluing vat on the hot plate, wood projects running through the wood shop, etc.

even though i sold almost all of my woodworking machinery and made a 20 year collection of vintage saab cars and parts "go away" i still had more tools than would fit in the 20' x 20' garage on the house i bought in the city.

i had planned on building a new "garage majhal" at this house but then i had an industrial accident that laid me up for a year and got "downsized" at my job with ups a couple years after that. now, i have a crappy city government job that pays less than half of what i earned in 2004. i can barely pay attention let alone build a shop. :roll:

it's one of those things where it took me 20 years to collect all those tools and i hate to let anything go. i have one roll around that has all metric tools, one that has all sae tools, one that has air and impact tools, one that has screwdrivers and that stuff, one that has pliers, shears, scissors, blades, etc. one that has my machinist tools, hammers, saws - that sort of deal. i looked into getting one big tool box that would hold everything but that's on the order of a couple grand, so.......

and on the buell sport bike, i just noticed that the front tire was flat. i aired it up and saw cracks all over the treads. the bike has been sitting unlicensed and unridden now for 8 years and as long as i am responsible for the raising of my my dear 8 year old daughter, it will just sit. after she's grown and on her own, i can fix the bike and ride it (when i'm 70. :lol: )

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:22 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i really do miss the old days when i had a complete and separate hobby barn at my country home. i had roll around tool boxes set up so that i could roll one into the area where i had a project. that kept me from walking all the way across the barn for tools. it was nothing for me to have a car in the welding area, a car in the assembly/ paint prep area, one in the paint booth, colt acps disasembled on the bench, the chemical bluing vat on the hot plate, wood projects running through the wood shop, etc.

one of these days ill make my dream garage :mrgreen:

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:36 pm 
Island Inbreeder

TheSilverBullet wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:

one of these days ill make my dream garage :mrgreen:

...Me ..Too...........................................................................Still holding on to that Best Cannabis thing....Realy?

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've been working on bringing the timing system technology up to a higher accuracy for the megasquirt2extra for sequential operation. i've tested a bunch of methods, mounting techniques, and sensor types along with a number of electrical circuits, some i built and some i bought for testing. i settled on this arrangement for my new project engine and have another set to retro-fit to my current engine.

it probably doesn''t look like much in it's finished state but it represents about $500 worth of stuff selected and purchased whenever i found the stuff cheap.

here are the hall effect sensors and 2 channels of signal conditioning.

the crank signal is generated by the paquet green line gear tooth sensor. it's a hall effect type device that has a magnet mounted behind the hall effect component. when a gear tooth made from a ferrous metal rolls past the head of the pickup, it triggers the hall effect. the pickup sends it's signal to a conditioner board that has a comparator chip on it and a potentiometer for dialing in the signal sensitivity from the pickup. that comparator chip develops a 4.4 volt square wave that gets fed directly to the microprocessor on the megasquirt's main board. it runs 35 pulses per crankshaft revolution with a space for a missing tooth that resets the count.

the hall effect device used for the cam shaft is unipolar, positional type that senses the field from the south pole of a neodymium magnet and switches it's voltage state in the presence of that field. mounted to the cam gear, the "flying" magnet trips the sensor once every revolution (every 2 revolutions of the crank) to tell the megasquirt which phase the valve train is in. again i used the same hall effect conditioning board to generate a second 4.4 volt signal pulse that feeds the 2nd trigger input of the ms2's microprocessor. here's the complete timing set in it's final configuration.

i tested the stratified engine components hall effect conditioning board that uses an optoisolator chip to generate the pulses for the microprocessor on the ms2. it works fine but was pretty expensive to be using 2 units. i also tested 3 conditioning boards that i sourced from china that were built for use on electric vehicles in much different applications. in quantity, those were much more economical and available in smaller lots. 2 of those boards used comparators, 1 just used the analog signal from a board mounted specialty hall effect. one of the 2 boards that used the comparator had the sensitivity potentiometer. that's the one i chose. the other comparator type board has both analog and digital output pins and works great, too. the board is a little bit bigger, has a hole for mounting, and 4 pins instead of 3.

here's a blown up pic of the conditioner board i selected.

you can see that it's 2 boards that haven't been cut apart. this little guy will get installed in an enclosure that's installed right onto the timing wiring harness. the module will have 4 wires running from it, a 5 volt supply from the megasquirt board, a ground wire that runs to the common grounding point under the hood, and a signal wire for each of the crank and cam signals.

that's as simple as i can make this high tech timing arrangement. it has super high rejection mode so electrical noise is minimized. it connects directly to the microprocessor so it bypasses all of the on board signal conditioning on the megasquirt which mean i can leave about half of the component parts off the ms2v3 construction. it's also 100% stable way past 20,000 rpm. with the exception of the sensor sensitivity adjustment which will make it easy to dial in the pickups, there are no adjustments that have to performed to make the electronics work. that makes it "plug and chug" simple, something that gave me fits when i was trying to get my turbo3 running on the megasquirt.

the ms2 using the variable reluctance pickup requires that you fiddle and fart with the sensitivity and hysteresis pots on the board inside the controller to get the timing signals to "sync." that task is different from one megasquirt installation to the next and it's a tedious step which took me hours to perform the first time. also, there's the possibility to get the 2 wires on the v/r sensor backwards which causes more hassles. another problem is that a variable reluctor can generate a low (.5 volt) signal at low speeds and generate a huge signal (70 volts) at 7200 rpm. that big signal has to be conditioned on the ms2 board so that it doesn't exceed the processor input voltage of 5 volts. when you accomplish that, it also puts the low end signal in the "mud" - below the useful level, which in turn gives you false triggers on the timing and those make you lose sync. if you were unlucky, the lost sync and false triggers could fire a coil at an inopportune time and damage the engine.

i'm very sure that my technique is very reliable, 100% stable, and mostly idiot proof in a "set it and forget it" kind of way.

megasquirt is fun! :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Thanks for the update pal. I have something on the work for you that might require a complete retune of the fuel and timing maps. I sincerely hope that it's not something that bother you :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:05 am 

Methinks Richards' byline should be chaged from destroyer of databases to MegaJedi Master

May the farce be with you....

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:08 pm 
Suzuki Elder

jard,

changing the maps isn't any problem. :wink:

i can hardly wait to see what you have cooked up! :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 am 

It's nice to see a Guy from where I Live helping you out T3 ragtop :mrgreen: ! One of the only place had made performance part's for our car such as Turbo Manifold for Turbo Upgrade :D

Mk3 Geo Metro W/ Mk2 G10T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 am 
Suzuki Elder

jardamuth started me on my journey about 8 years ago. as far as a mentor, i couldn't have asked for a better one. not many guys are as dedicated to these little suzuki cars.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:47 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Gspot wrote:
It's nice to see...

OMG I'Ve been looking for u foreva!! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:39 pm 

how much do your sensors end up costing?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i shopped on ebay over a period af a few months looking for bargains so i'm into both of the hall effect sensors and conditioner boards under $100.

the tough one is the one for the crank which is a gear tooth sensor (magnet built in behind the hall effect element.) those are hard to source.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 am 
Sad but True...

maybe I missed it, but why did you have to use different conditioning boards with the trigger wheel and not just the bolt on MS stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 am 
Suzuki Elder

you're on your own to provide the signal conditioning for the cam angle sensor. first i used the optoisolator circuit as described in the megamanual with a hall effect sensor and flying magnet on the cam gear.

i had been using v/r sensor on the crank and i had issues with tweaking the pots that are a part of the trigger signal conditioning. even when adjusted so that the megasquirt would sync, the v/r's signal amplitude ranged from around .5 volts to about 70 volts at higher rpms. even then, the signal geometry is a crappy approximation of a square wave derived from a sawtooth wave and modified by the level and hysteresis pots.

the megasquirt's optoisolator type on-board conditioning might be great for a high current tach signal like what you'd get from a coil but it's not all that for the more precise, low current hall effect device. that's why i went with an outboard conditioning circuit that generates a nicely symmetrical square wave that has a constant amplitude which is directly compatible with the processor inputs. now, both my crank and cam signals are solid and clean up to 20,000 rpm and i don't have to jack around with trying to dial in the level and hysteresis pots to get the megasquirt to sync to the crank signal input. no more dropped sync at higher revs and loads.

i really think that when the controller loses sync and the ignition misfires under those conditions it's like playing russian roulette with the engine. all it takes is one misfire to launch a rod through the block when the engine is at the top of it's torque curve. that very thing ended a friend's turbo3 megasquirt project and i'm hoping to have better luck. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 am 
Sad but True...

could explain why my spark would get choppy in hot temperatures above 7000rpm, you would literally have to turn the pots down a little bit, so the 11V cranking voltage is still enough to get a signal, then once its on and warmed up you had to turn them up again to stop it from going all over the place. I watched a few logs of the rpm breaking up, and not only the russian roulette factor you mentioned, but sometimes it would break up so bad that at 21psi the timing it would be trying to command would vary by up to 6 degrees. thats scary at 7000rpm and 21psi on a 3cyl

edit: mine was just a vr from a stock distributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 am 

I'm a fan of the lm1815 and I think I'm gonna use them again for another T3 I'll be building for a friend. It's my old hardware but with a brand new megasquirt. when you know the max voltage of your VR sensor it's very easy to dial in the correct input resistor for the conditionner chip.

swift13b, with the stock dizzy this voltage is about 5V, if you got more than that the sensor aig gap is too close, that could explain the high rev high load noise you got.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

math, the lm3815 is what the megagurus like to use to massage the v/r signal and that's okay. they also use an optoisolator circuit for the second trigger (for the cam angle.)

i wanted a departure from what was being done. if you follow everyone else it makes the journey easier as long as the leaders don't get lost. :-P then on the other hand, if you don't blaze your own trail you have to look at the trash the others throw on the path. :lol:

the hall effect/ comparator technique doesn't require any calculations, parts additions, or adjustments. solder 6 wires per conditioned hall device set and fire it up. i recently got a couple of different style conditioner mini-boards that don't even have the signal level pot on them. the new ones have an analog output and a digital output and are completely self tweaking. as long as you have a 1 gauss magnetic field from the flying magnet or gear tooth sensor, they just work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Last edited by t3 ragtop on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 pm 

acknowledging that sensors bolted to adn around cam gears looks Kewl... Why aren't you using the dizzie housing to contain the sensor in a closed environment? keeps dust out. and the signals in...
"streaks ahead blazing own trail to Oblivion...."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

lindsay, the coolest thing about the sensor arrangement is the very fact that the distributor will be gone. :wink:

the sensors are sealed and are impervious to dust, grease and oil, and water. to look at them mounted, anyone who wasn't intimately knowledgeable on the g10 wouldn't know that they weren't the factory setup.

i'm retro-fitting the sensors to my blue car project while i'm hammering out the mounting location arrangement on the mock up of my new engine project. i'll have a dozen wires to relocate on the blue car in the spring, the new engine and management system will be the one that gets streamlined and stripped down prior to it's installation in some lucky donor vert. :D

check out my cool new billet aluminum window cranks, fresh from china. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
Sad but True...

nice. they will probably last just as long :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next