TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:36 pm 

I'm converting a 1.6 16 valve sidekick engine to carb. I have the carb part figured out now need to figure out the distro part. Any one come across a mod to make a vacuum advanced distro fit one of these engines. It has the gear on the back of the cam and not a slot. I've read about people doing such a thing just haven't come across anything specific. The distro housing on the sidekick points toward the drivers side and the samurai points toward the passenger side, counter clockwise/clockwise. Anyway to convert the 1.3 housing to work on the 1.6 16 valve?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm 

Idont know if the 1.3 dizzy will bolt up, but if it will, just rearrange the wires to correct the rotation issue.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 am 

the 1.3 distro has a vacuum advance so reversing the wires wouldn't work. I need to come up with a base I can adapt. How far off are the 1.6 8 valve and the 1.3 bases from the 1.6 16 valve. I have access to a small machine shop witha heliarc and have 40 years of fabrication experience. I know I can make this work. Just need to familiarize myself with the parts situation. I'd rather adapt than create a whole new part.m Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm 

I forgot about the vac advance when i wrote that. i had ben up about 20 hours. sorry I'm not fimiluar with the 1.3 and 1.6 engines. I'm running 1.0 right now. You'll just have to find one of each and check them out. might be able to mix and match parts to get what yoo need.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 am 

Well, I've been looking all over the world and I've got a solution. I have an 89 1.6 8 valve distro and base. It'll work with a little adaptation. It is a carb'd version so it'll work with a standard old school coil. I'm getting close to having my carb'd 1.6 16 valve running. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.