TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am 

Where did you order that spoiler/lip from?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:47 am 

Hey Meenhaj. The Spoiler came from a seller in Newcastle Australia. I went to Reglinegti.com and searched for people selling mk1 parts and just sent emails to everyone selling mk1 parts. I got lucky :D The lip came from a friend of mine here in the Bay Area. I restored it myself.

Check out http://www.ssgtiwreckers.com/

They have a lot of rare MK1 parts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 am 

Just a note to anyone who uses Photobucket to upload images.
I uploaded the photos from after the paint job (page 2) using Photobucket.com I used their in-house image resizer to bring the images down to 1024 x 768 without any problems, until I resized the same photos for my gallery using the program Infranview (free from download.com). The images resized with Infranview were considerably sharper than the ones resized with Photobucket. The difference was very noticeable. So, in the future if you're using Photobucket to upload pics, resize them using Infranview or some other program before you upload to photobucket. I'll post 2 examples here.

Resized with Photobucket, checkout the difference in sharpness of the Suzuki logo on the valve stem.
Resized with Infranview,
Photobucket
Infranview

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 am 

I got the spoiler back from the paint shop yesterday :D so today I headed over to Taiso’s place. I can safely say that we are now experts at attaching mk1 spoilers. We used 3m double sided tape as a gasket material , had to adjust the screw holes slightly, and make a couple trips to the local hardware store, but in the end it was worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:11 pm 

Coming along nicely.
I hadn't realized you made 4 trips to 3 different smog test stations until I did my 'due diligence'.
Amazing difference in HC.
Your attention to detail is nice and the cosmetics are constantly improving.
Thanks for the infranview tip.
It has been almost 7 years since I used it, and had forgotten about it.
Your rear spoiler makes it look similar to this car:
including the color, eh?

Did you know that if you met the low income requirement, you can sell ANY car to the State of California for $1500.
The car must have
-one headlight and tail light (does NOT say it has to work...only to be there)
-all doors, hood, dash, windshield, at least one side glass, driver's seat
-at least one bumper, exhaust system, all side and/or quarter panels
-must be driven to the State recycler's under its own power
-must start under its own power
-interior pedals must be operational
-must move forward 10 yards under its own power.
If you DON'T meet the low income requirement, they will buy ANY car meeting their minimum requirements for $1000.

Your car, of course, doesn't fall into the $1500 category, as it is near mint.
I've included this information for those who have older Chevrolet Sprint cars in California and are thinking of selling them due to bad head gaskets, etc. They can get much more by selling it back to the State.
The days of the $250 Chevrolet Sprints on Craigslist in California are quickly coming to and end due to this Recycle Program.

Looking forward to your interior restoration, and thoroughly enjoyed your humor:
To really piss off the gas guzzlers, how about something like
'50 mpg at 70 mph'
:lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:02 pm 

Hey Phil,

You are correct regarding the smog checks. I first took it to my regular guy in Windsor and that test could not be completed because he could not get the Sprint to idle at 800 rpm (Santa Barbara County test). I then worked with a mechanic buddy of mine to lower the idle from 1100 to 800, however there was a rather prominent vacuum leak present which made it almost impossible to hold any idle below 1000 rpm. However, we did get it to idle at 800 rpm, albeit somewhat roughly, and I pulled it (next door)to Smog check #2 where the test was completed and it failed hydrocarbon emissions. That was the result I originally posted. That shop did not diagnose smog issues so I took it to shop #3. Shop #3 ran a smog check,(part of the diagnostic package) which also failed. They ran various checks and came to the same conclusion that I came to earlier, that a new cat was required. Shop #3 was a waste of money but I gambled that I might save some money if they could effectuate a repair without replacing the cat. Between smog #3 and 4 I registered the car to Sonoma County and replaced the cat. I returned to place that did the second smog check and had them perform smog check #4 which passed (Sonoma County test). These are the other results I posted.
As it turned out, there were 3 separate vacuum leaks that needed to be fixed (pain in the ass), but now that they have been remedied it idles smoother then my 2006 Tiburon and is a blast to drive.

Thanks for the posting the pic, that’s DTM GTi’s Swift I believe. I’ve seen some pics of it before, it’s a really nice mk1. It looks like he crafted his spoiler out of a sheet of aluminum, it’s really nice and possibly weighs a lot less then an oem wing.

With all the mechanical and exterior repairs and mods out of the way, I’m going to start working on the interior as soon as I receive the stock fabric from SMS which should be next week. I’ll post updates as I go.

Keep an eye out for a rear package tray and the side mounts. I found a set in Australia but the guy wants an insanely large amount of money.

Lastly, here is a link to a site with information about the CA buy back program you mentioned. http://www.smogtips.com/vehicle_buy_back.cfm
Cheers

Last edited by wizewun on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up, Josh.
It is indeed a pain to have to return and return for smog testing.
When I first read your posts, it was like a happy ending to an interesting novel, especially when you posted the super clean results!
In your case, finding those vacuum leaks was important and something many people would ignore in non-testing areas.
Will keep a look out for the rear cargo area lid and sides; they are as rare as those hatch locks.
Fortunately, it is simply a matter of money; most things can be found.

As far as I know, they didn't make a rear hatch remote latch.

You are correct; that is indeed DTM GTi's car in the picture above.
He did have to fashion some minor adjustments for his engine mounts.
When he took me around the block in it, the car seemed fairly peppy and is the only Euro Specs I know of in the USA.
It was surprising to hear that his spoiler does not look OEM, but rather something fashioned from aluminum.
I was under the impression he had simply done as you,
and bolted it on from his donor car, like he did with his Euro Specs front bumper.
As they seem quite similar.
Perhaps there are variances between continents?
For some reason, I seem to recall reading about all the effort he took to build that vehicle, but I'm not sure if he detailed the rear spoiler attachment.
Anyway, he was the one raised with those Euro Specs cars, and not me so I won't attempt to jump to any conclusions.
His mirrors certainly don't look like mine.
Well...

Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 am 

Regarding the spoilers, my main point was that his car looks incredible and both spoilers look great.

Regarding his mirrors….

They're mk1 Swift GTi spec. I picked up the set and I was going to put them on the the Sprint before it went to paint but I decided to keep it stock at the last minute. Maybe someday I’ll do the change up.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the package tray, I really appreciate it :D .

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:47 pm 

Yes, your spoiler is quite nice.
Perhaps his is Lexan.
In any case, a rear spoiler does add some 'dimension' to the vehicles.

Will be looking forward to the interior upgrade; keep those pictures coming!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 pm 
Suzuki Elder

Phil N Ed wrote:
In any case, a rear spoiler does add some 'dimension' to the vehicles.

like leaving a flap open on a box. :lol:

i'm just teasing phil, the car is an amazing survivor. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:38 pm 

Hey all, it’s been awhile.

So….it only took 9 months to locate but I guess that just makes it all the more satisfying. Now I have everything I need to completely refresh the interior … except the time :(

It looks like August will be earliest start date and I’ll be posting many photos along the way.

For now though, I give you “almost unobtainium”

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:19 pm 

:shock:

Where did you get that??

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 am 

Hey Meenhaj.

I found it from a seller in Columbus Michigan called Original Auto Interiors. His website is http://originalauto.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:35 am 

Had some time on my hands so I called up Taiso and we proceeded to strip the interior out. I was also able to deliver the seats to the upholstery shop. This weekend will be about cleaning and dynomating.

Before:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06 pm 

I received some more goodies from down under today. I'll have my upulstry guy recover the tray in vinyl color matched to the vinyl on the seats and the wheel covers will go to the paint shop to be cleaned and resprayed in Cue Ball White :D

Rear package tray + 2 sets of mounts, draw strings and attachments.

13" 24 hole wheel covers!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 pm 

Today was the perfect Northern California Summer day, it wasn’t too hot or too cold and there was a light on shore breeze. The birds were chirping and the squirrels were playing. It was the perfect day for setting up a hammock and falling asleep, OR setting up a interior panel restoration assembly line and working your butt off .

Ben came over and we set up a system Henry Ford himself would be proud of (maybe.) We took all the panels I have acquired (at least 3 of everything. Many will be for sale in a few days) and lined them up next to the fence.

We set up the white table as a cleaning and prep table

and the black table (slowly becoming the grey table) as the paint table.

We started by cleaning everything with a rag and SEM Plastic and Leather Prep. Next we sprayed Dupont Plas-Stick to everything and let it set. Lastly we applied SEM Color Coat Storm Gray which is an almost an exact match to the stock panel as it was new. The finished products were then set on the driveway to dry.

As the morning wore on the completed section kept growing and growing.

Ben in the background while I slack off and take photos.

The results speak for themselves. The re-painted piece is on the left. The darker section on the right piece was covered by the rear seat and faded less.

Re-sprayed half on the left.

The door panels seem a bit more tricky so I’m going to take them to my upholstery guy and see if he can redo them.

On another note. Yesterday my good friend Aaron came over to help with speaker installation in the rear seat panel area. I didn’t want to cut up any panels so the gaping holes next to the rear seats seemed like a great place to start. He found that Suzuki had already run speaker wire to each side of the rear seat and had just left it there ready to hook up. Thanks Suzuki!!!
The wires coming out of the wheel well to the red connectors are stock.

Thanks for checking out this update. If anyone needs panels, let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:24 pm 

Have you seen these?
8)
Cody up in Canada says they are the little known MK1 rear speaker mounting brackets, and ...
I'm not going to argue with him.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:03 am 

Quote:
Cody up in Canada says they are the little known MK1 rear speaker mounting brackets,

OHHHHHHHHHH..............actually it makes sense. The 2 screw holes for mounting line up perfectly to the 2 holes above where i put the speaker.

WOW, I never thought I'd see something like that, didn't even think it existed.

Thanks Phil. I was totally content in my ignorant state and you had to go and educate me. :D

Now the search begins for speaker mounting brackets!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am 

Somehow, I KNEW you'd begin searching for a set.
:)

...and the other two holes line up with the vertical mount.
Just crazy.

Keep us posted...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 pm 

When things come together and start happening, there is this snowball effect. After nine months of getting nothing done with the Sprint as I searched for the right seat fabric, everything is now happening at once. Last week we pulled everything out. Tuesday the speakers were installed. Wed the panels were painted, and today the carpet was professionally cleaned.

OH, and I got the seats back from Carlos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So without any further adieu. I give you……..The before & The after…….Enjoy

Before

After

Before

After

These seats were made possible thanks to Carlos and his incredible team at

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm 

How could you argue with someone who uses a chopped '32 Ford on his business card?
Very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 pm 

Those seats look...AWESOME!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 am 

More progress has been made!!

I taped off, prepped and painted the kick panels

Before

After

Ben came over and we installed the carpet

We then re-painted, and installed the rear upper quarter paneling which requires the removal of the rear window and the rear window trim.

Lastly, the door trim, the scuff guards, and the A pillar panels were installed.

Not bad for a Wednesday morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 am 

Not bad for a Wednesday morning, not bad at all.
Wish I was there, handing you and Ben some beers while drinking the rest! :givebeer:

If you read the Wikipedia articles, they will tell you that Suzuki did not offer an automatic until '86.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
We did a similar upgrade to our stock '85 automatic and began like you:
Bed liner on the left, sound deadener on the right:
Bed liner on the left, felt on the right, sound deadener under felt on the right:
I had a hard time finding the proper thickness felt, so I 'improvised.

Having done a similar upgrade, (though not on a Turbo), I can say the inside is like King Tut's Tomb.
The additional sound deadener and felt really makes a difference.
When you shut the doors, it is so quiet it seems to make your ears ring!
:)

The Moderators were looking for a car or some pictures which represented a nice Teamswift car.
Certainly your car is not to be overlooked.

Keep up the good 'community effort'; looking forward to the next upgrade!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm 

The seats look stunning, it makes the whole car. If you ask me the interior is the most difficult to repair due to the lack of replacement seat covers that are original. Excellent job!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next