TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turbo Firefly/Metro Swap
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 am 

I picked up this little guy a month ago. It was someone's project that they couldn't get to work. I has had the engine/tranny/wiring/dash(just about everything) swapped from a Canadian Pontiac Firefly over to a 93 Geo Metro. So far I had to plumb the oil supply line to the turbo and some other misc. hoses here and there. I also made a hot pipe to make the stock rubber intake tube work with the metal turbo intake tube that is on the car.

Still trying to get this thing running. I also own another turbo car of this vintage, so the systems on this are somewhat familiar to me. With that said, she does crank, but she doesn't seem to be getting spark off the coil yet. Looks like I must delve into the wiring and figure this thing out! :)

I've already found some very useful information on this site and just thought I'd post my car/project.

Last edited by XAWAX on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am 

Nice project! Best of luck getting it going =)

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:31 am 

Thanks Teeth! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 pm 
Island Inbreeder

it's been awhile since we have seen that car How was brayn ?

here's his thread on your car

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52244&p=394427#p394427
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49266&p=368818#p368818

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 am 

Cool!! Thanks for the links! That's great that he's on here. He was glad to see it go, but sad that he wasn't able to enjoy it running. Well I will post pics and vids as I work on it so maybe he will find this thread..

I may put some work into it this weekend, but I'm prepping and painting my other car and that's got priority right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am 

great job!

make sure you use the metal fan shroud and not the plastic one.
the turbo doesn't like the plastic one... =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i ran the plastic shroud with the stock ihi turbo for 3 years and it only melted the shroud a little bit at the lower left corner. it was an new oem single core radiator and it never gave me any problems, city streets or highway, in the 90-100 degree f ambient temps ohio gets in the summer

the thing is that the turbo3 could really use the bigger capacity radiator that goes with the stamped steel shroud. even better, those chinese fabricated aluminum radiators with a high capacity slim line fan work great. i saw one of those on ebay the other day for $117 including shipping so they're really about the same as a new oem replacement radiator. the fan is about $30 (12 inch 1600 cfm.)

dude, those vents in the front bar look big enough to hold 7" headlights. some cibie lead crystal lenses and 80 watt bulbs would be wicked.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 am 

I think I will fab up a little headshield between the turbo and fan shroud out of some scrap metal laying around here for now. I may upgrade later if required.

Yeah, I was totally thinking about putting some huge fog lights in there...possibly even the oem WRX ones! I'll check out the cibies...

Last edited by XAWAX on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 am 

Time to start work on the Geo. I found a ecu pinout for the turbo model firefly, but does anyone have a full wiring diagram or know where I can find one?

Pics of Nissan removed! :oops:

I have tried three different used coils on this thing, and I can't seem to get any spark. Seems like ignition related wiring.

Last edited by XAWAX on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 pm 
Island Inbreeder

nice work I will not delute your thread
I'll just say this less Nissan pictures more suzuki picture
glad to see this rig go to a good home baryn was a Honda guy
and I guess his bud's gave him a bad time about his suzuki build
or he was getting married so he gave it up....... I'm hope'n you can take it to the next level .....
if not P,M, me we'll haggle on a price I'll take a crack at it.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:00 am 

Thanks for the offer jaguar, but I'm not looking to sell this thing until I have put some miles on it. Even if I swap it back to an n/a car, I still want it for hyper-miling purposes.

If I can't figure it out, I have a wiring guru buddy that will for sure be able to tell me if the problem, whether it's wiring, ECU, or whatever.

Still can't get to work on this thing for a week or two, but I just wanted to update the post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 am 

You have a PM I've done a similar conversion, Jon P.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have a digital file with the full wiring diagram for the mk2 turbo3. it's too large to post but if you pm me with your email address i can send you a zipped file as an attachment.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm 

PM sent!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

email sent, 3 files.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 pm 

Thank t3, I wish the first file was like 18mb or something....too low res to read :(

I will post them to my Flikr account later..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's a 2950 x 1860 gif file. i open it with microsoft picture manager, enlarge it to 100%, and scroll around to read it. it works fine for me and i've used it for a number of turbo3 conversion projects.

at .99 mb it's easier to handle and transmit digitally.

mike cove sent me a paper copy of the full schematic many years ago so i have that available. i just don't have the ability to scan it or a digital monitor large enough to display it.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:51 pm 

Oh ok...well as long as you have a file. I'll find a way to get it!

In the middle of wiping my computer so give me a little time..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 pm 

the last image is the full wiring diagram...

Since the image service can't display the full image size, I attached the file in a zip file.

Thanks t3 ragtop!

Attachment:
Mk2_Wiring.zip [1023.27 KIB]
Downloaded 225 times

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:06 pm 

Well, the little guy runs! My buddy pointed out that the wiring distribution block under the dash was not bolted in and that it's probably not grounding as a result. I bolted it to the chassis and cranked it. It sputtered and seemed like it wanted to start, and I could tell it was firing. Next thing was another ground under the fuze block in the engine compartment. It was not connected there as well so I grounded that too. I also plugged in a main power wire(white) that connected to the bottom of the fuse block too.

Next, the and the main factor in it not running was that the firing order of the plug wires was wrong. I plugged them in right and tried cranking again. It fired up instantly and ran smooth at about 2000 rpm. It reved up fine to 5k so I'm guessing it runs ok mechanically.

The dash check engine light seems to be flashing code 14. One blink, a pause, and 4 blinks...repeated over and over with the key in the ignition.

I have to completely rewire the wiring to the back of the car because the plugs do not match up, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, pretty exciting day! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

excellent!

if i'm remembering correctly, 14 is the code for the o2 sensor.

the pages from the mk2 turbo3 manual are around page 17 of the manuals section in the gallery files and they will have the listing for the diagnostic codes.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 pm 

Ok, I will check that! I know the sensor under the exhaust header above the oil filter isn't hooked up yet. I didn't notice any appropriate wires around the area that would readily plug in. I still want to go through the wiring thoroughly before running it much. I might get to work on it tomorrow or Thursday, I'll try and get a video then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the o2 sensor is a single wire with a black plastic connector. the mating connector, to my recollection, is located in the group with the temp sensors on the thermostat housing and the connector for the distributor.

the oil pressure switch for the idiot light in the gauge cluster is a yellow wire with a single bullet connector that runs to the right side of the engine, through a connector, then up and over the timing cover.

a new bosch o2 sensor is under $20 and would do a lot to help the engine operation.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 am 

So my buddy got the exhaust welded up and I fixed my oil leak at the turbo oil supply line. I still haven't looked at the wiring much, which I really should, but haven't had the time.

The thing is that it does run and I even took it down the street and back a couple times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 pm