TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garrett turbo specs...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:14 pm 

Well i have a garrett gt17 turbo, in the casting says .53, i suppose it means A/R 0.53 and bellow says m53, what is this?

Does anyone know any site were i can find the flange design from the inlet and outlet of the turbine side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:42 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Gt17 are ball bearing turbo, they spool quickly and make respectable boost at low rpm, very similar to a T25 but they cost a small fortune to rebuild.

As for the flange design, take your turbo and watch the flanges, here's your design :)

I personally don't bother with this, I usually CAD draw them and have them laser cut. The most horrible design I seen until now is the sunbird Gt's flanges.

Post subject: Thanx Jess...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:19 pm 

Yes i would look at it, but it´s being rebuilt... and i need measures to start imediatly to built the flange, the outlet one i don´t need anymore...

Another thing...by eye the inlet flange(turbine) on the gt17 is equal to the t25...if so i can swap between turbos without to much hassle... as i have a spare t25 laiyng around...i know that the compressor inlet flange is diferent though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:41 pm 

i know this has been asked many times before on this forum but i want to know if the td04 from a vr4 would be any good for my swift?? im askin because there is a guy that is selling 1 for $250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:17 pm 
King of Pompous

Not trying to steal the post but my bro is rebuilding the engine in his Sunbird turbo and was looking at doing a different turbo. I think it has a T2 stock. He may be able to grab one off a 2.2l or 2.5l chrysler engine. Anyone have any idea how this would work or is there a better alternative? He's looking for a 50-75hp jump (peak) with better torque.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:15 am 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Quote:
know this has been asked many times before on this forum but i want to know if the td04 from a vr4 would be any good for my swift??

Excuse my ignorance but what's a vr4? is it a td04H? how does the turbo look like?

Quote:
I think it has a T2 stock. He may be able to grab one off a 2.2l or 2.5l chrysler engine. Anyone have any idea how this would work or is there a better alternative?

Those 2.2 engine turbos are TD04H just like whattheeee's previous car. They have a different flange partern and the compressor outlet aim at a different angle. Sunbird turbos are T25 M24's in 1.15 trim....wich is almost identical and maybe a bit bigger than a TD04H. Any pictures of that turbo? the best bolt-on upgrade would be to buy a T28 impeller w/housing. they're quite expensive tho..
Try to grab some pictures of the existing turbo and I will check if I have something for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:41 am 
King of Pompous

I'll see about pics next week for ya.

Thanks

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:04 am 

i dun have a pic of it yet but it came off a 2lt galant. dats all i know. it come with a 3inch dump pipe and also the manifold. its the cheaps and best deal i get in Australia. its in top condition tooz! so is it any good for a swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:17 pm 

A vr4 is a Mitsu turbo awd car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:57 pm 
Senior Swift Guru

Quote:
Those 2.2 engine turbos are TD04H just like whattheeee's previous car.

hey dude, part of hte deal with Adam is that it's still my car for another 4 months or so... It works out for both of us I guess, I'm going to be playhing around with the motor stuff right away.

Can't say previous car until it's in his hands!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:45 pm 

so is that turbo any good for my swift??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:22 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

You can't go wrong with a TD04H.... beside a pic would be nice to confirm his size. Whatteeee has one in his car and I think he got something like 70whp...or was it 170? maybe another urban legend.. who know?

Hey bud, when are we going to try this new manifold? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:39 pm 

thanks alot for the info. just 1 last question, which is better. the t25 or the td04h?? i want to know which 1 spools quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:46 am 
Senior Swift Guru

Jardamuth wrote:
You can't go wrong with a TD04H.... beside a pic would be nice to confirm his size. Whatteeee has one in his car and I think he got something like 70whp...or was it 170? maybe another urban legend.. who know?

Hey bud, when are we going to try this new manifold? :D

11psi, DSM fuel pump, TT Stealth injectors, Cultus Intake manifold, Base timing at 2 degrees, TE04H Mitsu turbo. The little scribbled lines that are really really small beneath it are the stock runs without turbo. :D Only a 183whp run. I some 185-186s and a 193whp run on the stock motor (don't have any of those runs printed out to scan in, and at the rate I'm going... it could take a while).

Good turbo. The T25 on wgotzmanns car (ssgti) kit might spool 100-200rpm quicker. I'd have to double check the dyno, last time I did it, was before I was playing with tension on teh wastegate so it could be even. At the same time, wgotzmanns car may have had some timing issues hindering the light up of the turbo.

I've been driving around with 170+whp day to day, but honestly... it's a bit much without proper cooling and there will be increased wear on rings and such at this level. I think 150 even 160whp daily may make all the difference.

I bet one of Jardamuths manifolds would actually help spool of the turbo over and above the beauty manifold on my car. I've actually been trying to get him to make me one too as you can tell. :) I'll need something close to the block for the mini project to boot.

oh, that reminds me of another myth I wanted to dispel for jardamuth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:22 pm 

From what engines are these rods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:39 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

They're supposedly from a west coast stock gt engine (#24) and a JDM engine (#27). I never seen numbers higher than 21 on these rods.. it's weird..really. I wouldn't be surprised if Whattheeee was getting #69 rods from his actual engine. :D

Last edited by Jardamuth on Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:57 pm 
Senior Swift Guru

On topic of #69, let me just add that my rod is better than your rod. :)

My cars are West Coast babies off the boat from Japan (still std. GTis -the 24s). the 27 is from an actual Cultus motor though.

I still don't think Jess believes me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:33 am 

where are u i can make one flange if this is the (marked at the hot side) garrett m4 and cold side m53

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:22 pm 

Jardamuth wrote:
The most horrible design I seen until now is the sunbird Gt's flanges.

What's wrong with those? It's just a regular T25 flange, I hacked one off to use it on a VW I'm building for a guy on another forum.