TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: adjustable shifter kit
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:36 pm 

if anyone is interested, i am going to offer my aluminum adjustable shifter kit i made for my car available for sale.

i designed the shifter to be easily adjustable without taking the entire shifter mount apart, to help fix some of the slop in your worn out shifter bushings, and to be indexable (looking down at the shifter handle).

the kit consists of the aluminum arm, a steel ball for the pivot, a steel end link with bronze bushings for the connection to the shifter linkage, and an o-ring to tighten up the slop in the pivot ball area.

to adjust the shifter throw, all you need to do is remove the 12mm through bolt on the bottom of the shifter that goes into the linkage rod and spin the entire shift handle and arm inside the car. you can adjust the throw to the shortest possible with stock exhaust like i did, or if you have more clearance, you can significantly shorten the throw. you can also feel free to fill your stock mount with poly or weld it up like some of the other guys on the forum at the time of install. my wife drives my car alot so i left mine alone for now.

the design allows you to rotate the bend in the shift rod closer to your leg so you do not slam the shifter handle into the passengers knee when putting the car into 5th gear. the threads on the shifter are the stock m12x1.25 so you can put your stock shift knob back on, or you can get whatever style shift handle you desire and use an aluminum bushing to install it as i did. i put a 30 year old hurst shift handle on mine that i got out of a muncie 4-speed chevelle back in 1986. ive been saving it for a long time.

this kit is designed for the average mechanically inclined forum member to install. not recommended if you do not own any tools or cant figure out how to solve mechanical problems for yourself. due to the wear on your shifter parts, some small adjustments may be necessary. i had to chuck the 12mm through bolt from my linkage up in a cordless drill and polish the rust off it to get it to fit through the bronze bushing. if your bolt is shot, you may need to replace it if the fit is too loose.

you may order the shifter unbent if you would prefer to bend it yourself. it would be located much closer to the steering wheel that way, or you could bend it closer to your arm for comfort in your street car if you are over 6 feet tall and have your seat all the way back. the way it comes bent, the shift handle is about 2 inches further back than stock when installed.

the point of making this for me was not to try to speed shift my car and break the sychro's or to reduce lap times. i made it to get rid of the worn out plastic bushings and their free play , and all the slop in the pivot ball area as well. i wanted to shorten my throw so i don't wear out my rotator cuff any more than it already is. i have put 315,000 miles on this car now, rowing that damn stock shifter what seemed like a foot between gears. now with my shifter linkage adjusted to just clear the stock exhaust, i only have to move the shifter about 4 inches from 1st to 2nd gear, there is a distinct click when it goes into gear, and there is no slop. you can still force the shifter handle to move when in gear due to the rubber mounts, but mine don't seem to be too badly worn out and my wife probably would throw a fit if i solid mounted the shifter and transferred all that noise and vibration directly to the shifter handle. i also particularly hated the stock shifter when on road trips and sitting in the passenger seat. i cant tell you how many times my wife slammed the shift knob into my knee on the highway while we were talking. no matter how many times it happened, i never remembered to keep my left knee away from that general area while she was driving.

once i get my new exhaust installed on the car, i will be adjusting the throw even shorter just to make the distance the shift handle travels a little bit less. i hate feeling like i'm driving a 1972 f250 with a granny 4-speed every time i get in my metro.

any questions or suggestions just pm me or ask here.

the shifter is going to be priced at 85 dollars US, shipped to the contiguous U.S.. paypal only. shipping quotes for other countries by P.M. please. this is 15 bucks cheaper than the only shifter i can find made for this car at suzukird, and i am offering free shipping for most of you. i am not getting rich here or trying to price gouge anyone. i'm simply trying to make smart products available for a little supported vehicle that i love, and make a very few dollars while doing it. i am not making the parts myself as i am currently disabled and cannot work. i am designing and testing the stuff i am selling and farming out the manufacturing and shipping services.

i will gladly help anyone with the install any way i can, with pictures, emails, pms, or phone calls. i am no self proclaimed expert, but i do have extensive mechanical experience. i have been a g.m. dealership tech since 1987, a toyota tech, a case heavy equipment tech, worked at a honda motorcycle dealer as a tech, and ran an install bay at bestbuy/geeksquad for 14 years. alot of those years i had 2 of those jobs at the same time. going along with the nature of my work, i have had access to lots of specialty tools over the years, and been able to build alot of cool stuff in my little spare time.

i seem to be not so good at taking pictures and documenting installs. the pictures here show the new aluminum shifter arm with my shifter handle bushing and jamb nut already installed, and the linkage end rod/endlink to connect the arm to the cars shift rod underneath. i forgot to take a pic of the arm assembled. there are more pics of the shifter in my shifter project folder in my gallery.

Attachments:
File comment: the shifter arm with my shifter handle bushing and jamb nut already installed.
new shifter arm with bushing and jamb nut.JPG
new shifter arm with bushing and jamb nut.JPG [ 80.34 KIB | Viewed 3353 times ]
File comment: this is the pivot ball that simply screws onto the shifter arm
shifter ball.JPG
shifter ball.JPG [ 80.88 KIB | Viewed 3353 times ]
File comment: this is the end link that screws onto the bottom end of shift arm and connects to cars shift linkage
shifter end link and jamb nut.JPG
shifter end link and jamb nut.JPG [ 89.04 KIB | Viewed 3353 times ]

Last edited by dethbrd on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm 

i have updated the shifter on the bottom end so that the entire shaft is 5/8ths"

Last edited by dethbrd on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:42 am 

I can, of course, easily adjust the length of the shifter for a very reasonable charge for you guys that may want the shifter rod much longer than stock and bent to the left to get it close to the steering wheel if you so desired. i can do any sort of bend or any length you specify.

i have put another 2000 miles on it this past week and really like the way it works. it is a little buzzy because of the filled engine and trans mounts and the bronze bushings i used to build it. prob not a big deal in a scca car or rally, but a 1200 mile road trip = re-design on the bushing. i am going to try a couple of tricks this week to calm it down, then start looking for a plastic alternative if that doesnt work out.

no comments at all huh?

Last edited by dethbrd on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 am 

Very interesting! Keep up the good work! Might want one once u finish up development!

1999 suzuki swift ice race car... Dohc engine conversion, 3tech 222/365 cams, bored tb, aasco lightweight flywheel, 4.56 final drive, Welded Diff, cultus intake, srd 4to1 header, spool forged rods, Megasquirt PNP, H&R sport springs and Koni yellow shocks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 am 

sorry about the lack of pics guys....it has rained every single day i have been home since i posted this thread. i dont have access to a place to work inside currently so no pics until it quits pouring long enough for me to pull the assy out of the car again for pics and the installation of a grease zerk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:55 pm 

i posted some more pics in my adjustable shifter project folder. i cant remember how to link to them here at the monent....im too busy trying to make the test changes to the shifter anyway.

thanks for looking at my stuff guys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:38 am 

another 1300 miles on the revised setup.

bear in mind that my stock exhaust with the cat cut out and "test pipe" welded in, under the car, on the ground, 17 years ago is not exactly in the best shape after 316,xxx miles. everytime i get under the car and look at it, or adjust the shifter throw, the exhaust has moved again. i re-adjusted the throw 3 times to get shift linkage away from the stupid pipe, and 3 test drives later, the pipe is still touching the shifter. so i am attributing some of my buzziness or rattle to the damn exhaust.

i added a stainless steel flat washer and a stainless steel wavy loc washer to the thru bolt on the shifter linkage. it is a little difficult to get in there, but i did it on the ground, with one hand, no jack, lowered car. you will be able to handle it. i simply bent the ears on the trans linkage rod outward just a tad with a crescent wrench to make the assy fit much more loosely, and then when the thru bolt gets tightened down, it snugs it all back up nicely, and its under spring pressure from the wavy washer.

the only buzzing i had was when the exhaust was in direct contact with the shifter under heavy engine load. pulling hills at 70 with the air on and the car severely overloaded.

i also added a zerk fitting to the lower rod end on the production model so you can easily lube it up at regular maint. intervals.

so if anyone wants to try out an adjustable shifter that is easily greased, tight, customisable, relatively affordable, and not at all "vague" feeling when in use, please dont hesitate to pm me. 85 usd shipped to the 48 states.

Last edited by dethbrd on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 am 

Hello Deth.

Wow. This looks cool. Will it fit a 1998? Can you add length (make it longer to retain stock hieght at extended short shift)? I will be buying some control arms soon.

dethbrd wrote:
another 1300 miles on the revised setup.

bear in mind that my stock exhaust with the cat cut out and "test pipe" welded in, under the car, on the ground, 17 years ago is not exactly in the best shape after 316,xxx miles. everytime i get under the car and look at it, or adjust the shifter throw, the exhaust has moved again. i re-adjusted the throw 3 times to get shift linkage away from the stupid pipe, and 3 test drives later, the pipe is still touching the shifter. so i am attributing some of my buzziness or rattle to the damn exhaust.

i added a stainless steel flat washer and a stainless steel wavy loc washer to the thru bolt on the shifter linkage. it is a little difficult to get in there, but i did it on the ground, with one hand, no jack, lowered car. you will be able to handle it. i simply bent the ears on the trans linkage rod outward just a tad with a crescent wrench to make the assy fit much more loosely, and then when the thru bolt gets tightened down, it snugs it all back up nicely, and its under spring pressure from the wavy washer.

the only buzzing i had was when the exhaust was in direct contact with the shifter under heavy engine load. pulling hills at 70 with the air on and the car severely overloaded.

i also added a zerk fitting to the lower rod end on the production model so you can easily lube it up at regular maint. intervals.

the addition of the stainless washers and the zerk fitting is going to add a few bucks to the cost of the unit, but i dont know how much as my builder has not clued me in on that part of our deal yet......lol. i am thinking 5 or 10 bucks tops. depends on his shop rate and if he buys parts in bulk or not i guess.

so if anyone wants to try out an adjustable shifter that is easily greased, tight, customisable, relatively affordable, and not at all "vague" feeling when in use, please dont hesitate to pm me. 75 usd shipped to the 48 states.

1998 3/5, GR2 KYBs new mounts all around, Spring rubber spacers for that nice handling and rally look, MB x 7 wheels, Drilled and Slotted front discs, ceramic pads, New Lower control arms, New inner outer tie rods, Urethane bushings and zerk fittings, Urethane sway bar endlinks and bushings. new half shafts, New front bearings, Dark tinted windows, New 2 core radiator, 195 thermostat, Push button start. Silicone hoses (blue) installed CS 130 (105 amp) alternator conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 pm 

I will pm you soon. you will have a client.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:49 pm 

sorry guys....im not getting my email in a timely fashion for some reason.....

yes i can make the shifter handle longer if you want... so its higher when the throw is shortened. i can also leave it unbent if you want to make your own bends.

i just need your input on how you want it to arrive.

i do want to stress the need to make sure your exhaust has not moved closer to the shifter than stock...... other short throw shifters do not mention this tidbit of info.

my exhaust is currently falling apart and it has migrated so far towards the drivers side now that i am having trouble driving the car. i had to adjust the new shifter so its a longer throw than stock and im still having issues getting into 3rd gear. i need a new exhaust bad. i got under there to bend it away from the shifter and cracked a weld and found out that the inner pipe is completely free and rattling around inside the outer pipe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 pm 

[quote="Calrenman"]Hello Deth.

Wow. This looks cool. Will it fit a 1998? Can you add length (make it longer to retain stock hieght at extended short shift)? I will be buying some control arms soon.

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier

Right now, I do not know if it will fit the cars after 1994.

I haven't been able to find a 5 speed metro newer than 94 in the junkyard.

Someone else may know the answer to this question, but I do not as of yet.

I will find out as soon as I see one in the junkyard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:41 pm 

Looks very nice!

Is it possible to mount it to a swift gti? I have a gti engine in my classic mini so dont no what year the engine is.
I can send you a picture from the linkahe system.

Thanks,

Sebastiaan Keijzer
From the Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:38 pm 

What transmission is in the car? Did you use the linkage from the gti?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:33 pm 

Hi,

I use the swift gti box with the gti linkage.

Thanks

Sebas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm 

Send me some pics of your shifter and linkage or post them here