TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:39 am 

Update: I became a member of another forum from Argentina... there's a lot of good info there if you can understand Spanish. Anyway they got the I3 ECU over there and according to every post I've found so far, the AFR-knob only adjusts the mixture at idle. I can'i imagine the purpose of the knob than, but it appears to work that way.
I think next I'll check the WTS, cuz I can't think of anything else that could cause the lean mixtures. Who knows, maybe installing a POT in series will clear the problem. Anyone knows if this mod also affects open loop operations?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 am 

So anyway I've been playing with TunerPro and comparing maps... the I3 ECU has 2 fuel maps and 1 ignition map, while all other ECUs have 2 fuel maps and 2 ignition maps. However only one map of each is used, regardless of whether the car is running in closed or open loop. According to a couple of posts on different forums, the maps are chosen through a jumper... depending on what market the vehicle was destined for.

On the I3 ECU, only the second fuel map is used. This map is a little leaner at cruising rpms and has a richer idle. As a result, the car gets better mileage, but is more sensible to mods at those rpms; which is why it got worse after installing a bigger TB and custom header. Anyway That's all fixed now that I have an emulator... solving the problem was as simple as copying the fuel map from the I2 .bin and enriching the idle a little bit more. Now the car cruises really smooth, idle is more stable and that on/off-feeling caused by the bigger TB is also gone.

I'm currently running a richer table, but that's more for a better throttle response. Big thanks to Teeth that has been helping me with TunerPro... the guy knows his stuff. I would recommend getting a chip from him when he starts offering them to the public :wink:.

This whole emulator/TunerPro thing is an ongoing project that's still at the beginning stages, but I just wanted to point out that the lean conditions were not caused by any faulty sensor, rather than the stock ECU's tuning. Next step: Bigger (Nissan) MAF...

Last edited by elbola on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:52 pm 

Good info! 8)

What is that argentinian site you are talking about. I remember taking pics of different market ecu and noticing with the help of Lithan that there were jumpers connected different ways. It had to do with the afr knob / oxigen sensor.
I converted my 91 gti for a harness that has the oxygen sensor in it and got a US ecu and installed the sandros chip in it. It runs awesome. I want to do the same with the 89 gti.

I'm going to look what this tunerpro ia all about. Sounds interesting.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 am 

instant_shine wrote:
Good info! 8)

What is that argentinian site you are talking about. I remember taking pics of different market ecu and noticing with the help of Lithan that there were jumpers connected different ways. It had to do with the afr knob / oxigen sensor.
I converted my 91 gti for a harness that has the oxygen sensor in it and got a US ecu and installed the sandros chip in it. It runs awesome. I want to do the same with the 89 gti.

This is the site: http://www.foroswift.com.ar/index.php. There's a lot of info there. There's a new thread about a FIAT-gearbox conversion that's pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 pm 

jankoelbola wrote:
instant_shine wrote:
Good info! 8)

This is the site: http://www.foroswift.com.ar/index.php. There's a lot of info there. There's a new thread about a FIAT-gearbox conversion that's pretty interesting.

Thank you. Looks like a good site. Just got to get used to the words of different engine parts in spanish.
I saw that fiat gearbox pics fitted. It's a tight fit. But the guy was getting tired of breaking the gti gearbox. So that was a good upgrade.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 am 

elbola wrote:
So here it goes:
I currently have two sensors for testing and one that I opened to see what was inside(just for fun cuz it was completely useless).

Comparison (negative things with bold letters) :
TPS No.1 (the one that was originally on the car)......................................TPS No.2 (the one used to make the first video)
trouble-codes..................................................................................no trouble-codes
resistance between C and D: changes from 0 to 2k+..................................from 0 to infinity
between C and B: 680 @ idle, 5k+ @ WOT................................................700 @ idle, 5k+ @ WOT
between C and A: just like between C and B............................................steady @ 4k+

The problem with TPS No.1 is the hard starting of the engine (have to push and release the throttle while cranking for a couple of seconds), probably cuz the adequate resistance between terminals C and A is only reached almost @ WOT. Because there is always continuity between terminals C and D I was able to adjust the afr as desired, so I turned the sensor @ idle position of the throttle until 450 ohms was reached between terminals C and B. At this point, the engine is running perfectly, except for the check engine light and the hard starting. Can make a video if necessary.

Using TPS No.2 will eliminate the hard starting but will on the other hand cause a rich mixture as soon as the throttle is touched (previously shown on the video). This is because of scratches on the contacts inside the sensor, as a result of wear during the years. So if after adjusting TPS according to manual, resistance-readings between terminals C and B are above 500ohms, the engine will run rich (the higher the reading. the richer the mixture). You will probably not notice any difference, besides less MPG.

image_id: 22200 image_id: 22199 image_id: 22015

I just want say this is really good info. My dad's geo gti had a hard starting problem for a while. Changed the tps for a good one and the starting problem is now gone!

2003-EVO7 GT-A