TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with SQS Racing ?

I am just about to order a dog gear kit, Final drive and LSD from them

Thanks Jon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:05 pm 
Teamswift Racer

The issue I have with their setup is you can't change the final drive where as some of the other close ratio gear kits still use a standard counter shaft, the diff ratios are too low if you want to use a 13' slick, fine for rallying though, I don't know anyone who is using one but they look well made.

Gibbo on Redlinegti bought a similar dogbox from Peter K rally/Kalmar Motorsport, its also made in the Czech Republic and has exactly the same ratios and layout as the SQS one (somebody copied somebody), he broke it after two rallies, the remains are for sale if a 4.6 diff suits you.

I also know Brad Harris in Australia runs a suzukird sourced dogbox which are made in Argentina, no problems so far, my syncro CR gearset is also from Argentina via suzukird and has been going well for a long time, I'm the 3rd owner :lol:

Bacci in Italy make a set but the SQS one is much better priced.

Last edited by Dattman on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 am 
Teamswift Racer

Have just edited the above post since I got Gibbo's gearsets mixed up...give us feedback if you buy one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 pm 

Thanks for the info

I have 14" rims and will be using it for rallying
There is a choice of 4.615, 4.385 & 4.214 final drives.
With a 4.214 final drive it will give me a theoretical top speed of 113mph @7600 rpm which should be fine.

My standard box is just no good with the Bill Falconer engine i have bought as all the power is up over 5.5k.
Changing from first to second is like pulling on the handbrake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 am 

I have been using the Kalmar dog box and it's amazing, very high quality and is working great. I buy a lot of parts from Suzukird but I know the customer service is going to be way better with Kalmar should anything happen. MF89 from Barbados broke a Suzukird box and an LSD, I also broke a Suzukird LSD so now I run a Kalmar LSD as well, it's way better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 am 

FWIW, I'm running the Kalmar dogbox as well with a Gripper LSD and it's held up for about 6 rallies with no issues. I'm still using the clutch since I'm a bit of a wuss and want it to last, but I still shift it fast and it hasn't complained yet.

I have the 4.6 ratio in it, and if you want 113 mph or so, go lower. I think I'm topping out around 140 - 150 km/h at 8k RPM. I'm not quite sure, I had to keep my eyes on the road at the time :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 pm 

Just fitted the kiy but the reverse idler gear wont mesh with the new gear kit.
How many teeth should be on the idler gear ?
Thinking the box may not have been a Gti one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:11 pm 

The new box is now fitted.
Everything slotted together really well.
Done around 30 road miles so far and i have top say its a great piece of kit.
Very smooth gear change and feels like to power is there in every gear.
Can't wait to really put it through its paces but it has transformed the car.

If you are looking to buy a kit you can't go wrong with SQS......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:12 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Good to hear you got everything together, yup you do have more power at every gear change since there is less rpm drop between changes, thats the whole point of having close ratio gears, poeple just look at the price and baulk and then spend money of their engine instead, I'm a firm believer in making the most of the hp you already have.

A more conclusive report might be warranted after you've done some events and stripped and checked the box for wear, keep us updated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 am 

I'll be buying the SQS dog-box soonish, especially as I broke my current dog-box on the last event i did last month :cry: .

I had been experimenting with the clutchless gear changing before the event and couldn't get the hang of it, so on the rally I reverted back to using the clutch.

We completed the 1st stage fine, got to the road section to return to the service park, with my helmet removed and when I selected 2nd the noise was pleasant and very ominous :( .

Anyway upshot was we retired from the rally, I've now stripped the box and found a tooth has broken off 2nd gear, pinged up into 3rd gear and then caught the final drive pinion.
So the input shaft and 3rd gear, and the output shaft all need replacing!

I think I may have caught the box while experimenting and maybe weakened 2nd gear.

SQS seem to be the only manufacturer that lists spares for their gearkits, so for future replacement if needed that's why I'm going to buy theirs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am 

we tried few dog boxes and broke all of them.. we also tried to make spare parts from different materials and so on but there was allways something that broke.. we finish 2 out of 6 rallyes and on four we retired because of broken gearbox.

we also tried stock gti box with 5.45 final drive but gearbox fall apart again.. going to try 5.45 fd once more when we'll have time (this year we race with MG ZR 105) but i doubt it will hold on for long..

anything that is in stock swift gti gearbox housing won't hold for long imo.. it will broke even sooner if you use left foot brake..

i heared of a guy that modified peugeot 106 sadev dog box to fit on swift and it's working like a charm :) but i know in most races/categories that's not allowed..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm 
Teamswift Racer

swiftmotorsport wrote:
I'll be buying the SQS dog-box soonish, especially as I broke my current dog-box on the last event i did last month :cry: .

I had been experimenting with the clutchless gear changing before the event and couldn't get the hang of it, so on the rally I reverted back to using the clutch.

Well that sucks big time, personally I would still use the clutch just to make it a little easier on the dog hubs and to prolong service intervals.

Now might be the time to consider using the large frame cable shift g16 box from the swift sedan, it has 70mm centres as opposed to 60mm like our boxes, which means bigger and stronger teeth, bigger bearings, thicker shafts etc.
It does require a bit of work to fit, welding and redrilling the top two bolt holes, wedge adapter for the intermediate shaft, custom rear mount, the internals are the same as the current m16 swift sport.

Check out this syncro gearset to fit the large frame boxes, price is almost unbelievable.
http://www.teammfactory.com/close-ratio-gears_Suzuki

Suzuki has 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, 4.4 final drives that fit the large frame boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:09 am 

Well the SQS box has been in the rally car for a couple of weeks now and all seems fine.

I found getting used to the longer 1st and 2nd (compared to my last box) took a while, but once I got the hang of it the car fly's :D .

So much so on the last rally we did (my son was co-driving for me) on the 22nd June, we won the class (upto 1400cc) by 5 minutes and 21 seconds!

And that was after we backed off for the last 2 stages, we originally had over a 6 minute lead and 15th O/A.

We didn't have it all our own way though, we had a huge battle with a guy with a very quick Vauxhall Nova, swapping seconds on every stage.
Unfortunately he snapped a drive shaft with 2 to go handing us the lead, hence we backed off.

Result :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:19 pm 

Not logged in for a while and didn't know you had bought the gear kit.
Did you get any in-car or any footage from the rally.
Box is superb and i agree with getting used to the long 1st gear.
What final drive did you pick ?

Here is a couple of links to the last rally i did.
Got 1st in class and 22nd overall :-)

http://youtu.be/AQz2s45yXTs

http://youtu.be/QYo8MGB34_c

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:13 am 

Sweeet!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 pm 

Well I said I would let you know how the box is doing.
Done 6 rallies now with no issues.
Stripped the box down today to find it all looks great with just minimal marks on a few teeth.
Really pleased so just had a good check re-sealed and tightened everthing back up.
See link to my Facebook page for pictures.

https://m.facebook.com/rallyswiftgti/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:03 pm 

Hi There guys
I am looking to purchase a SQS Racing dog box.

Does anyone have any photos of there gear sets and housings.

I notice that the gear set has a similar set up to the Mk1 with the hubs on the input shaft.
do you have a measurement from bearing to bearing for the cluster.
I have both Mk1 and Mk2 housings and the one that I have different cluster assembly lengths by about 10mm.

Also, the driveshaft spine number and diameters. Do the GTI boxes have larger shaft diameters to the standard SF413 transaxle.

Regards

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:08 pm 
Teamswift Racer

The SQS gearset only works in a mk2/3 box, they supply a new shift fork to suit the different layout.

The Mk1 is longer and there are no interchangible parts, most but not all mk1 gearsets had both syncro hubs on the countershaft.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/ ... shafts.jpg

If you want a strong box then I think you should consider swapping to the larger frame suzuki box, it's a bit of work but you're up for a lot of work getting a mk2 box to work anyhow, swapping to the bigger box means bigger inner cv's, you could use either the swift sport ratio's or the mfactory close ratio kit which is much cheaper that the sqs set and then you get thicker shafts, bigger bearings and much better able to handle the rigors of rallying.

Spend some time researching this the swift sedan 1.6 cable shift box, here's a good start http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... +box+sport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:12 am 

Thanks Datman,

Looked at your photos of the gear sets, I have both an early Mk1 and a Mk2/3 gearbox. The Mk2/3 box is from a 1.3 swift/Barina not a Swift Gti. The gear and the final driver ratios are different between the swift and the Gti, are there any other differences to the gearboxes? I thought with the Gti box, the inner CV had larger splines in the final drive. But haven't looked at one for over 20 years.

Can you assist please?

Cheers

AA33S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:44 am 
Teamswift Racer

The only external difference between a gti and normal swift/barina box is an extra lug for a brace, otherwise the main difference is the gti has closer 3rd,4th and 5th gears (North America got standard gears in their GT's) and the gti has a slightly bigger diff, still only a 2 spider diff unlike the mk1gti which got a 4 spider diff.

Final drive ratios are market and model dependent, gti's always got 4.1's, early 89/90 had a different pitch on the diff gears so don't mix and match crownwheels and countershafts.
3.52, 3.789, 3.95 (unconfirmed) 4.1 and 4.389 were the factory diff ratios, 4 cyl versions got a 1" wide crownwheel while the 3 cyl versions got narrow crownwheels, Aust or NZ never got 4.389's.

Inner splines are all the same, the gti driveshafts are 1mm thicker, it's the outer cvs that are bigger on a mk2 gti so you will need to change your front hubs, remember the steering arms are slightly longer on a mk2 gti hub vs a mk1gti hub so your steering may slow slightly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:22 am 

Thanks, that's some good info.

I do remember a difference, so thanks for clearing that up.

I will look into the SQS Racing Dog box further.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 am 

This is my GTi from some rallies in 1990-1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQdqLCEwv4M\

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 am 

Hello Team Swift,

I am selling these kits in Canada under a different name; Kalmar Motorsport, but I guarentee 100% they are the same. Here is a link to the website: https://drivesport.ca/collections/gear-kits-1/products/suzuki-swift-mk2-dog-kit-1-3l-gti

Also here is a video of one of our customers 'mistral' using the gearkit: https://youtu.be/oUQk24VBF4s

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact tech@drivesport.ca

Cheers,
PK