TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 pm 

I read a lot of threads about engine building and hot rodding them.
Does anyone have factory horsepower/torque curve charts on 1.3L, 1.3L twin cam, 1.0L, and the turbo engines?
My 1997 factory shop manuals have nothing in them, and the aftermarket books are of no help either.
Some of this has to do with what ring and pinion ratios are needed in the transmissions I build for people.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:36 am 
Suzuki Elder

richard, i have seen factory hp/ torque charts for the g10 and sohc 8 valve g13 engines before. i looked through my pics and didn't find them.

i have many hard drives with that sort of stuff on them and it will be a long search.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 am 
Suzuki Elder

i just remembered that redline has lots of dyno sheets posted. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:56 am 

I can't tell you the stock curves but I can say my 91 stock 'vert beater could use a higher 1st gear. It's long way from first to 2nd and I don't need that much 1st grunt out of the hole in stock trim while driving on the street. I think all the stock 'verts I've driven were the same. My old '90 'vert had a different tranny because it drove at a higher rpm on the highway.

I actually think it would perform better off the line with a taller first. I really notice it on steep hills and there's a short one near me that I avoid most of the time. I think it's about 18%. I don't want to come out of first because the rpm drops too low into second unless I take it to redline (or at least somewhere over 5200 rpm). Lower than that and you need to consider shifting back to first. Starting at the bottom in second means you have no acceleration up the steep part and if you start too slow you have to shift back into first

I'll have to get back to you on the other gear changes but second to third seems pretty good and the others aren't bad if I recall. Maybe lower second a bit and raise first a little as well. I think it would work well with a GT as well with a higher first unless it already has one but the only GT I had on the road so far was an automatic which could have benefited from a higher stall torque converter with lock up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 am 

Took it for a drive or two up the hill. Definitely a little higher first is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm 

fainya wrote:
Some of this has to do with what ring and pinion ratios are needed in the transmissions I build for people.

As far as choosing a ratio, you really only have a few choices. I wouldn't use the 3.52 for any reason on a 3 cyl, and only in extreme cases on a 4 cyl. The 3.79 is OK (just OK) on a 4 cyl, and for the 3, I would only ever use a 4.10 or 4.39. The G10 just doesn't have the torque to pull the higher gear, and unless the car's been seriously modified, fuel economy won't get better, but drivability will get a lot worse. Too many people equate gear ratio to fuel economy. In some cases that's true. In this one, it's not. For the most part, the factory got it right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i agree with mike. the n/a g10 should only get the 4.39 or the 4.10.

my twincam vert makes plenty of power but it's top speed is higher with the lower geared 4.39 transmission. it has been that way on most of the verts i have built. fuel economy between the 4.39 and 4.10 boxes is so small it doesn't amount to a pinch of poop.

everyone's mileage and driving style is going to be different but i have never had the itch to put a long legged transmission on any of my cars. i expect to get 35 to 40 mpg during normal mixed driving out of these cars but i also drive the hell out of them. :-P

i motored up and back for geopalooza in that red twincam vert running 70 to 85 mph with myself and a guy bigger than me and got 39.77 mpg with your 4.39 rebuild.

i'm still looking for those hp/ torque charts. it seems to me that they were located in the fsms for a few cars i've had. i know that i saw one for the twincam and i'm pretty sure that i saw one for the turbo3 cars. like i said, there were quite a few dyno sheets posted at redline and some of them included stock baseline runs.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 am 

My 97 geo metro factory service manual shows that 3.79 was used on 1.3L engines with 5 speed transmission.
The transmission I built and have in the car is set up with 3.79.
I just got back from a run from Dallas to Houston and back. ruffly 520 mile trip.
First 150 miles I ran at 70 mph with no A/C on and got 43 mpg.
The rest of the trip with A/C on, houston stop and go highway traffic, 15 miles of city street driving to pic up a bunch of GT parts,
then drive back to Dallas, the car got 40 mpg.
I had no problem with acceleration, carrying 4 mag wheels with tires, 2 gt front seats, 1 gt 5 speed transmission, 1 twin cam head.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 am 
Suzuki Elder

and got a helluva deal on the gt parts. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 pm 

I bet if you had the 4.10 you'd have better acceleration and driveability, with little to no loss in fuel economy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 pm 

Don't forget the different gear ratios that the 3.79 trans came with. Can't remember off the top of my head, but think first gear is a lower ratio in these transmissions. It worked well, the 98-01 cars feel like they pick up the same under most driving conditions with the 3.79 trans or the 4.10 trans, I think part of this is due to the steeper first gear ratio helping take off. I've swapped in 4:10 trannies on these cars and in stock engine form didn't get as much performance gain as I expected. With 4.39's and cam on the other hand, there is a significant gain, first gear really feels fun!
3.52's feel generally awful to me in any models I've driven with them. 95+ g10 (mk4&5) cars don't work that well with 4.10 gears, 5th becomes draggy and you gotta have your foot way to far into it to hold speed. The mk2&3 cars seem to purr away happily with either 4:10 or 4:39's due to their light weight. Id be leery of less than 4:10's in a g10t car, I think it would land up on the edge of boosting all the time in 5th due to load. Haven't swapped other than to 4:39's on a gt, but I would guess they would pull the 3:79 ratio ok due to simply having a decently strong powerband even as low as 3k.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58548 I have a few more chARTS IF U INTERESED from my motor (sorry for the caps)