TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 pm 

I purchased new Centric Drums from Rock Auto. The holes that the splined lug studs go into are too large of a diameter for the lugs to bite into. The width seems the same. The max ID is the same~183mm, The bearings seem to fit. The lugs from the old drum do not bite into the new drum they just slide in and out. The dust cover also does not snug into place it too is loose and slides freely in and out!

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Ideas?

Update:
I eyeballed the Bearings and the Position seems the Same. I need to mice both but I replaced the old drums to drive. Has anyone else had this experience? I have not miced the studs but the stock acorn nuts appear the same. Are the four door metros the same brakes as the 1998 3/5 hatchback? The Dust cover did not fit either. I just high temp painted the suckers too.

1998 3/5, GR2 KYBs new mounts all around, Spring rubber spacers for that nice handling and rally look, MB x 7 wheels, Drilled and Slotted front discs, ceramic pads, New Lower control arms, New inner outer tie rods, Urethane bushings and zerk fittings, Urethane sway bar endlinks and bushings. new half shafts, New front bearings, Dark tinted windows, New 2 core radiator, 195 thermostat, Push button start. Silicone hoses (blue) installed CS 130 (105 amp) alternator conversion.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:37 pm 

I've run into that before. Not just centric and not just these cars either. 4 door rear brakes are bigger.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 am 

VR4 wrote:
I've run into that before. Not just centric and not just these cars either. 4 door rear brakes are bigger.

Both max Dia. are 183mm. Bearings seem to fit? I feel like a crack monkey! I am pissed!

Both max Dia. are 183mm. Bearings seem to fit? shoe depth looks right.
I feel like a crack monkey!

Note: Appx measurements Of new drums-

lug stud hole I.D. ~ 12.5mm

Front (outside of drum) Bearing hole I.D. (where dust cover friction fits) ~33.5/75mm

1998 3/5, GR2 KYBs new mounts all around, Spring rubber spacers for that nice handling and rally look, MB x 7 wheels, Drilled and Slotted front discs, ceramic pads, New Lower control arms, New inner outer tie rods, Urethane bushings and zerk fittings, Urethane sway bar endlinks and bushings. new half shafts, New front bearings, Dark tinted windows, New 2 core radiator, 195 thermostat, Push button start. Silicone hoses (blue) installed CS 130 (105 amp) alternator conversion.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Does your car have the 10 mm lugs?

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 am 

Lihtan wrote:
Does your car have the 10 mm lugs?

No it has 12mm lugs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:50 am 

Just a note. The four door Metro has a di9fferent hub set up than the two door hatchback.

The four door rear drum comes off of a hub (the bearings are in the hub not the drum) without pulling the staked nut and bearing assembly.

The Two door hatch back has the bearings as an integral part of the drum.

I was sold drums for the hub type four door rear brakes... thanks rock auto!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 pm 

There are 2 different styles of rear studs depending on abs/traction control or not. I have not really looked into the difference but that could be it. I have a Raybestos picture catalog somewhere I will look up the 2 studs and see if that part Is different.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:51 pm 

Just checked and that's not it they both have a 12.45mm knurl. But different shoulder length. 14.1mm for with abs and 9.4mm without abs. Now. With that said if they only have a 10.24mm hole they are made for 10mm studs. But you can drill them out like I did with me 91 to install 12mm studs

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"