TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 am 

Your car is looking real nice !!

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:07 pm 

Thanks Cami Man! I appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 pm 

Update: Geo is running well other than what seems to be the same issue others are having with loss of power and being unable to boost. On Friday, I took lunch and drove about 6 miles round trip and parked the car. I go to leave from work and it just cranks and cranks and cranks, but no fire...not even a stumble. The Geo left me stranded. :/ I left the car inside the shop of my workplace over the weekend and come Monday morning, with a little more cranking, it sputtered to life and seemed to run ok. During my drive home, I could not give the car over 25% throttle or it would bog, stumble, and want to die. I drove it for about 90 minutes to get it good and hot to see if that would affect things. At the end of the drive the car worked as usual and boosted and ran fine. I am thinking water intrusion of some kind is at fault.

Recent Video:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:52 am 
Suzuki Elder

when my factory turbo3 acted like that it was a dirty air filter.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:18 pm 

I checked the filter. It is dirty, but since the car is working great now, I don't think that was the culprit. I have been keeping the fuel tank full or in the top half since the no start situation and it seems to be running fine, even in heavy rain like it was during the day it didn't start.

Water in the tank? I need to grab some water inhibitor and throw some in the tank probably.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:18 pm 

you need to get PDR(Paintless dent repair) guy to get that dent out of your front left fender! :D

Car looks nice and clean!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:59 pm 

Right Beachedbru, that would help. I be a PDR guy could go over the car and have it looking pretty good in no time. I just don't want to invest more money into this car really.

t3 ragtop, you may be on to something after all. It was freezing temps overnight and there was ice present outside when I went to start the car today. Guess what, it wouldnt start. I remembered what you said so I popped the air intake apart to let clean air bypass the filter and the car sputtered to life. I ended up buying a filter today and we will see in the AM if that was indeed the culprit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 pm 

Yeah, the dirty air filter seemed to be the problem. It turns out that you should replace the air filter at least every three years on these cars. Haha. Startup is much better and smoother even in sub-freezing weather. Power has improved noticeably and I am not in boost as often and when I am it is a several psi lower that before.

On a positive note, the dirty air filter probably kept the motor from grenading the first year I drove it, when it was running very lean because of the other electrical and sensor issues I had. After fixing the other problems, the car was then running on the rich side, so now having a clean filter brings me right to optimal burn resulting in the improved performance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the mk2 turbo3 cars can be pretty bitchy about the vaf mounting angle, too.

i used a custom mushroom type aftermarket air filter and thinwall aluminum piping to the inlet of the turbo and found that the forward and yaw mounting angles affected performance, something about how the vane/gate operates. the weight of the vane actually makes it harder or easier to swing open depending on it's position and direction off level.

it was most notable during hard cornering and if there's one thing that chaps my ass it's some random bitch like that. :twisted:

that was one of the main reasons i ditched the vaf and went to controls that use a manifold absolute pressure sensor. the physical design of a pressure sensor makes them less affected by g forces. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 pm 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:
the mk2 turbo3 cars can be pretty bitchy about the vaf mounting angle, too.

i used a custom mushroom type aftermarket air filter and thinwall aluminum piping to the inlet of the turbo and found that the forward and yaw mounting angles affected performance, something about how the vane/gate operates. the weight of the vane actually makes it harder or easier to swing open depending on it's position and direction off level.

it was most notable during hard cornering and if there's one thing that chaps my ass it's some random bitch like that. :twisted:

that was one of the main reasons i ditched the vaf and went to controls that use a manifold absolute pressure sensor. the physical design of a pressure sensor makes them less affected by g forces. :wink:

Interesting....... I've heard that about the MK2T3

But yet
The Older Skinnier Prettier Sister
(87-88 Turbo Sprint)
is a rock solid platform in it's stock form
you can even abuse her.... or not... so long as you keep up with regular maintanace
she likes her lube clean and valves tight but not too tight
Alas after 25+ years parts wear out...
Hopefully we whom dabble in the MK1T3 have enough parts to see us to the end
......jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:13 pm 

car is for sale. see classified section

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 pm 

Car sold today. The new owner informs me that he is now a member on here and will continue to post about this car. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:22 am 

Yep, I will. Future plans include getting those dents pulled, some sway bars, and some side skirts if I can find 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:26 pm 

Nice car dustyroads , Congrats on the new ride :D

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:59 pm 

So my new business is taking off and I think I'd like something faster and newer. I'm there for putting this metro/firefly back up fir sale only I'll take $3200. It is in nearly identical shape as it was when I bought it in January. My number is 707-223-2512 and I live in Portland OR.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 pm 
Island Inbreeder

well now this is a bit of interesting news.!
.....jv&s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm 
Island Inbreeder

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
well now this is a bit of interesting news.!
.....jv&s

Very Interesting update...
I have followed this car for many years met the original owner bryan
I never got the chance to meet XAWAX just followed this thread.
Very interesting development indeed
......jv&s
http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60499

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:31 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Bryan (Dunner) standing next to My old car (Aarons old car)
almost 5 yrs ago to the date wow time she flys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:13 pm 

I wish I would have made it to more meets. I never got to enjoy the community while owning the car. The videos I made for this forum are consistently the highest number viewed on my youtube channel. Would be nice to have it still.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 pm 

Current owner here! Well, the turbo is toast now. I know a mechanic who is quite the fan of Geos and has replaced turbos in a few of them before, which is awesome cause Im about as green as they come; make fun if you want.... :huh: So he has an almost perfect fit, but the difference being 4 pattern to a 3 bolt. Which means I need an adapter, which means I need to get an elbow exhaust fabricated. This is what I'm told, but he was saying to look around and maybe I could find a winning lottery ticket by finding this super obscure turbo that's like 30 years old. Any help or a point in the right direction is greatly appreciated! I'll probably get it done either way, cause I miss how that thing used to haul!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am 

How toasted turbo is it? oil leaking? no spin? score? blew?

Check out this thread... viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62939 ... give you idea about how rarity RHB32 is and where to buy rebuilt kit.

Last edited by CMA on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 am 

Little bit of oil loss. It sounds like a spoon in a garbage disposal and has NO power. When I kinda rev it it smells like gas, alot. Sorry, but what thread are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 am 

If oil loss then use the rebuilt kit but do you take a look at turbo for visual inspection? I also don't know why you smelt gas... It should not.

Sorry, I forget to add the link... here is the viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62939

(I swear I did... maybe good sleep helps)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:39 am 

Thanks for the link! From what I'm told, since the turbine isn't working efficiently there's a backup of exhaust or something like that and that's the gas smell. My MPG is a whole lot suckier since the turbo quit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 pm 

Likely turbine is not spinning smoothly... or even broke... You will need to do visually inspection the turbo and then play and spin test.

if smelling gas while booster... mostly FPR or leaking in the fuel rail... (check for vacuum lines but there is many components to check)

Just get diagnosis on the fuel system to detect where the gas is leaking from... or even canister.,..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next