TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 pm 

Hello Everyone! I can't take the stock springs on my 1992 Convertible for another 89,000 miles. I bought H&R Sport spring kit for a Swift of same year. It talks about lowering 1.4/ 1.3" f/r. H&R also says it won't work on Convertible. What's the deal? Too soft, since 'Verts are probably heavier? Has anyone out there experimented with springs from some other car as rear Convertible spring replacements? Late model Merto rears cut down? I'm hoping the H&R fronts will work out fine (maybe about an inch lowered?) with the 3 cylinder Metro, which is lighter than the Swift 4 cylinder engine. 1" lowered should not mess up bump steer or cause other geometry issues. I trailer 300 lbs of small motorcycles once a month. That tongue weight, plus weight of gear and gas in the car's trunk/interior, makes extra load on rear springs. Any suggestions on rear spring situation for Convertible? Also, any strut suggestions? KYB struts work well? I have not bought struts yet. THANK YOU ALL!

Ah-Ha! 2002 Kia Sportage front springs are same OD as Swift rears... maybe same as Convertible rear ODs. Kia ones are meant to hold an engine up, so are stiff. Maybe cutting those down to acceptable ride height (match front H&Rs) would work out. No more super-mush stock coils! I have cut down stiff springs before (Pinto fronts go into Autocross Corvair fronts well) and used a torch to make gradual the last ring, as springs were from factory. Users here are cut-off wheeling them- fine, as I don't have a torch now. Has the wheel and no torch worked out for you guys? Maybe grinding the last few inches flatter?

Any voices of experience out there on Convertible suspension upgrades. please chime in!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:06 am 

Those springs will work fine on your convertible. For Struts lots out there but for me KYB has been the best all around so far. I have 2 verts and 3 swifts currently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm 

Thanks! H&R rear Swift springs go into convertable Sunday. Late model Metro sway bars front and rear also. I replaced squeaking double-wall exhaust pipe and bent it for front bar clearance. All front suspension and steering parts get replaced too. Rubber rack bellows new. Any other suggestion?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

Oh- I have late Metro rear springs to cut down as backup. H&R Swift rear springs are better, right? Scored KYB all around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:20 pm 

I have H&R's on my 3 cars they are great! but I don't tow yet!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:23 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i like the h&r sport springs on verts and have had quite a few of them with the sport springs and kyb gr2 gas over oil struts.

the gas struts on the rear of the vert help to keep the wheels pushed to the road. the rear ends of those cars will "dance" with dead struts.

struts and their valving contribute the most to tuning a suspension. back in the old days they were referred to as dampeners. they tighten up the compliance of a spring system. it's nearly a whole semester in mechanical engineering. :wink:

in their shipping boxes, the struts have limiting straps that keep the shafts collapsed. the second you remove those limiting straps the shafts will extend fully.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 pm 

Thanks so much, guys. Good parts plus four wheel alignment should do it. Any suggestions on alignment specs?