TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 95 2 door gti swap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:29 pm 

so I am swapping a g13b from an 89 gti into my 95

fully rebuilt, arp rod bolts, arp head studs, .5mm overbore flat top pistons. bd10 profile cams
g16 oil pump

after 2 months of working on it in my spare time, a friend came over and the motor is finally in!

Post subject: Re: 95 2 door gti swap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:30 pm 

Microsquirt for engine management, so I will be working on the wiring next. I also have to modify the trans mount on the drivers side as only one stud from the mount lines up with the trans bracket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 pm 

have made a little more progress on the car, microsquirt can only drive one low impedence injector, or 4 high impedence injectors per channel. stock gti injectors are low impedence, so I would have to run resistors, or swap to high impedence injectors. I opted for the latter, selecting a set from a 97 suzuki esteem. I used the harness from a 2000 esteem, modifying the injector clips so that it would have a single disconnect to ease in possible future troubleshooting. the injector pintle caps I wasn't a fan of, so I removed the pintle caps from the stock gti injectors, and used them with the new injectors.

anyway, on with the pics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm 

I have also made some progress on the wiring, will be using some of the factory wiring, to operate the cooling fan, the temperature gauge, and the oil pressure light. all extraneous wiring has been removed where appropriate. no progress pics of that though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 pm 

I am planning on using the factory coil and ignitor in conjunction with the distributor, controlled by the microsquirt for spark and kind of hoping it will drive the factory gt cluster I bought. if not, then I have some experimentation ahead of me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 pm 

Got my map sensor ordered, gm 2 bar in anticipation of future upgrades. By the time it comes in, the wiring should be far enough along to attempt to start it. I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 pm 

so after working with the wiring some more, I think I have come up with a way to have the factory tach work.

I plan to use the factory wiring providing power to the ignition coil, I will cut the input from the factory ecm, and connect to microsquirt. leaving the factory filter circuit intact and functional. in my head, it seems like it should work. any opinions to the contrary?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 pm 

my wife and son question if the car will ever run again, I sure hope it does, as I could've bought a fast car for what I have invested in the motor swap and the microsquirt setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 pm 

It runs! Having some sync issues, and it doesnt want to idle on its own. But it runs! The hardware is (mostly probably) correct, now to get the software taken care of, then I can get some time in the drivers seat!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm 

the tach is reading, but doesn't appear to match up with what tunerstudio is saying my engine is doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm 

the reason the tach wasn't reading properly, was when the ecm would lose sync, it didn't fire the coil. I had the polarity reversed on the vr sensor. switched the wires around at the plug, and no more sync losses, and the tach reads perfectly.

also got the wideband wired into the ecm, along with the knock sensor.

then the rain started. so I have the underbody brace to install, all 4 struts, install new axles, fabricate the exhaust, consider placement for the exhaust cutout, and track down a (fairly) quiet muffler. exhaust piping will be 2" from the collector to the converter, then 2 1/4 id from the converter to the muffler, with a 2 1/4" electric exhaust cutout somewhere between the converter and the muffler.

tomorrow will hopefully be a busy day for me and the geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm 

after It's first drive today, I discovered I have a significant oil leak, seems to be coming from between the oil pump and the block, will have to remove the ac compressor and bracketry to verify. I am running a g16 oil pump with the correct oil pump gasket for the g13. I hope maybe a few bolts are loose, as that would be a simple fix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm 

I found the source of the leak today after removing the ac compressor and bracket. it was coming from the oil galley plug on the new oil pump. got that taken care of, and installed my underbody brace. plan on working on the exhaust tomorrow, so that I can drive it to work on my tune.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:23 pm 

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v23 ... lxunr0.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 am 

Was this conversion from a 1.3L sohc? or a 1.0L? And are you using stock trans?

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:53 pm 

it was originally a 1.0 5 speed. it is a stock transmission, and so far it is handling it just fine, and has seen a few trips to the drag strip. the engine regularly sees 8000 rpm. the trans is from a 93, and has the 4.10 gearset.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:55 pm 

this thread never saw much interest, so if you have any questions, my build thread on GMF is much more active.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5799642/1/

there are even a few ripper videos!