TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor panels and sills
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:43 am 

Hi everyone, thanks for doing your thing I don't post much, but this is a valuable tool for me , I'm greatful.
I would like to replace my floor pans, outer sills and front wings/ fenders.
You know the drill previous owner had no mudflaps so everything behind it ether tired rusty or just plain gone after 420 thou klicks.
The only damage is directly behind the front wheels for about 24 inches in all directions.
I really don't know where to get these items..
Can I just go into orielys and simply tell them and it's that straight forward.
Many thanks Roy..Vancouver bc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:45 am 

Sorry I should say it a four door manual 3 banger 1991 Chevy sprint...thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:38 am 

Check crosscanadaparts.com for rocker panels. Outer only. the new owner is keystone and their depot is in Pitt meadows. The actual price quotes can be cheaper than posted if you phone them.

Floor pan metal will be hard to get. Fenders you should get from a wreckers if you are lucky the color will match. Try Chilliwack pic a part.

I would really check the extent of rust at suspension and control arm attachment areas before you spend too much on surface metal repair. If too far gone you may be better off considering a donor car

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm 

Ok will do and thanks for you reply.

I also read your point about control arm mounts and structural rusting..
Il also check that...but I can tell to this much...I drove the car so one front wheel was up on a giant curb
At an angle, the wheel at the opposite corner was also taking a lot of weight and the other two corners were not carrying much weight at all, and all of the doors open and closed perfectly.
I could not twist the car no matter how hard I tried..so from that and the visual inspection I preformed right now the solid bits still seemed solid.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:17 pm 

That is a good sign. The outer rockers contribute less to chassis rigidity than the centrally located parts of the floor pan. You may be able to assess the condition of the inner rockers by removing the carpet edge from the rocker sill cover and peeking through the many flanged holes along the length.. corossion usually starts near the seat belt anchor beside the seats.