TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just getting a Feeler
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:03 am 

Ok while I love my little black beauty of a metro I would like to turbocharge my G10 nothing major just 5-6psi if the motor can handle that much boost. I have the inter cooler piping and am looking for a factory inter cooler maybe off another sprint or firefly turbo or even a VW inter cooler. I have shown interest in a factory turbo manifold from a sprint turbo. will this bolt up or do i need to fab something together. If the manifold will not work I can make the car a remote turbo and have the turbocharger by the muffler.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 am 

It can be done reasonably easily using all factory parts, but they are getting rare as time goes on. The way I see it,my here's two options to do the swap. Buy a complete rusted turbo car if you can find one, and swap everything over. This is easiest, but requires you have the space to store another car in the meantime and get it home etc if it's dead. The cars are generally pretty cheap to buy if you can find one and basically save it from the crusher.
The other option is to buy the parts from someone who has saved them from a parts car or whatever. This option takes up less space but can be a bit tedious. I'd expect to,pay around $1000 to make this swap happen.
The turbo addition is generally worth the money at $1000, it just changes the car in so many great ways, with very few downsides. Fuel mileage generally stays excellent, And power increase even with all stock parts is really satisfying, reliability doesn't drop much either. If you have a strong engine, I'd just bolt a turbo head and top end onto your bottom end and go. You won't have the storer turbo rods and compression will be slightly higher than stock turbo engine but it'll work just fine. Of course if you find a donor car with a good running engine a complete swap would work great.
I think I have all the parts or most for a turbo swap but I'd expect around that $1000 total cost mark to round them all up and ship such a thing. Finding something local would be ideal, since you are in Canada the cars can still be found. USA didn't have the turbo cars in 89-91 so it's a lot harder to do south of us.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:48 pm 

Ok cool. I cannot buy a donner car just don't have the room. I was looking at using factory parts for the set up and a G note is not that bad either. Again I can't do the swap unless I find a good engine and that is somewhat hard to do. I have an old Volvo turbo that my mechanic gave me that he thought was trash I cleaned it up and she rotates fine with almost no shaft play. I also have an SRT4 Turbo charger in the same condition but I think I will use the Volvo turbo for quick boost. Again this is just a feeler I may decide to go more of an N/A approach.

Thanks for the response. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm 

like cody says, find a complete car to salvage ALL the t3 parts-ecm,wiring harness, sway bars, larger front brakes, etc,etc,etc......

oh wait, yours is automatic? the t3 engine (ecm) wont allow the 3spd auto ecm to shift properly. a few guys have tried, to no good outcome.

but a aftermarket turbo, more fuel and retard the timing a bit, and the stock ecm(s) should handle it.
5-7 psi is a good starting point.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:32 pm 

blueturbofly wrote:
like cody says, find a complete car to salvage ALL the t3 parts-ecm,wiring harness, sway bars, larger front brakes, etc,etc,etc......

oh wait, yours is automatic? the t3 engine (ecm) wont allow the 3spd auto ecm to shift properly. a few guys have tried, to no good outcome.

but a aftermarket turbo, more fuel and retard the timing a bit, and the stock ecm(s) should handle it.
5-7 psi is a good starting point.

My concern is how do I get the stock PCM to read boost? I know on new cars its plug and play. I do have an AEM piggy back unit is there a way to hook it up to PCM. And yes mine is 3spd auto. Will the trans hold out at 5-7psi. Again not looking to build a rice rocket just want to have some fun lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:58 pm 

I am not the guy to talk to about piggyback controllers. take a look at Richards t3 monster build- he went well over the top to make a POTENT t3, and in a vert, no less!

as for the 3 spd auto, besides being geared lower (hurts f.e. but would pull better?) and only having 3 gears, I would be concerned with diff pin failure. they don't take to tire spinning as well as a 5 speed.
also, ecm and shift solenoid failures are more common on the 3spd.

but sometimes its nice just to get in the car and let it shift for you!
heres a pic of diff pin failure, I caught it just in time before it went thru the side of the case. small semi-circle, to the left of the ring gear
Attachment:
054.JPG
054.JPG [ 107.5 KIB | Viewed 1196 times ]

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 pm 

I'd trust the trans at 5-7psi. Although there seems to be a lot of talk on here about it, after fixing up hundreds of them, lots automatic, I never have seen a Tcm failure, but a fair amount of shift solenoid failures(neither of which would be stressed or affected by adding power to the engine).
I believe it was member rootsblwn that made a lot of power with a supercharged 1.3 sohc and put it thru an auto trans without problems. His setup sounded like it was a monster!
I think with a boosted 3cyl auto, tire spin wouldnt bea big problem, it's the clutch dumps and burnouts that kill the diffs, or getting stuck and letting one tire spin freely.
Dont know how to set up the ecu though, that isn't my area of expertise.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!