TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:07 pm 

Hey guys. Been awhile since I have been on here. Been busy. I had a clutch failure and decided to replace the clutch. Little did I know that there are 2 different size clutch plates. 6 1/4" and 7 1/2" I decided to purchase items before disassembly. ( My fault) By purchasing a replacement stock flywheel and what is called a stage 1 clutch. ( This car has over 200,000 miles on it. The reason for new parts) I was wanting to update the clutch and pressure plate assembly made it about 100,000 miles before failing. So here is the question. Is there any Flywheel that will fit my car that will allow for the larger 7 1/2" clutch assembly or do I have to send the clutch back ? I am assuming that the Flywheel for the Turbocharged version would work, however I don't know where I could find one. With the exception of the Pilot Bearing, which looks like I would have to purchase a custom one from somewhere locally if the Flywheel Diameter, and Crankshaft bolt pattern are the same it looks like it would work. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the ebay Clutch kit that I purchased.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/eCM-STAGE-1-RACING-CLUTCH-KIT-87-89-CHEVY-SPRINT-1-0L-TURBO-89-01-SUZUKI-SWIFT-1-/131511880357?fits=Year%3A1987%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ASprint&hash=item1e9eb80aa5:g:CXYAAOSw~gRVo0kH&vxp=mtr

P.S. On a different topic I will be trying to add A/C to this car at the same time I am working on this project. I purchased as many parts as I could from a donor car out of state.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:37 am 

I'm assuming from your screen name that you have a MK1 (85-88) car. I'm not too familiar with them, but I know that MK2 and 3 cars had a small clutch and heavy flywheel for three cylinders, and a large clutch with lighter flywheel for the turbos and four cylinders. It's probably the same for the MK1s, but someone with more experience on the early cars would need to verify.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm 

Could you tell me the difference between an MK1 MK2 and MK3? I am going to have to learn Compatibility really quick. Because I really only have like two weeks until I have to make a decision on returning or exchanging some of these ordered parts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 pm 

Get a 4 cylinder flywheel it will be for the 7 1/2" clutch and will work with your 3 cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 pm 

http://www.redlinegti.com/articles/art2/

mk1 is complete different and has ancient parts.

1989-1994 = mk2= mk3 = same but different style

1995-2001 mk4 = mk5 = same but different style <<< only in North america.

G10 engine are all same but minor different that might be required minor mod.

all except Mk1, transaxles are interchangeable (no mods tho)